BIAB Single Malt Whisky

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: BIAB Single Malt Whisky

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:52 am

Ok so I think I'm going to have a crack at this. I'll keep you all informed how I go.
May take a bit as I need to order a few things and modify a 105L esky.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:53 pm

coffe addict wrote:Ok so I think I'm going to have a crack at this. I'll keep you all informed how I go.
May take a bit as I need to order a few things and modify a 105L esky.

Sounds good :handgestures-thumbupleft: I need to modify a 110L esky, I think efficiency will improve with a mash tun rather than the way I have been doing it.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby viking » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:09 pm

Looks like I'll start on this as well.

The last few nights I've been sipping a simple single malt whisky - Joe White Ale Malt with Safwhisky yeast. This lot I ran through the grainfather 4 runs & 30kg of malt. Mash for 90 minutes @ 64c.Ferment then Strip - then 4 plates and on French oak. I went do a mash tonight with the same recipe - the pump is broken. So I'll join the BIAB crew on the weekend.cheers
viking

equipment: FSD 4 inch SSG 5 plates with packed section and 100L FSD boiler.

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Just had sniff, after 1 month it is starting to smell quite good, no time to build a mash tun for quite some time so ordered a robobrew today. By the time it arrives I should have a good supply of grain up :D
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:03 pm

Update @ 5 months this is starting to smell and taste quite good, I expect at 2 years it will be very nice. Being a single grain whisky I thought it might be a bit bland, its still got plenty of flavour:D
TasSpirits

Postby coffe addict » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Ok so fashionably late as usual I finally fitted out my mash tun... And used it :laughing-rolling:

I went with 15kg ale malt 10kg heavy plated and 5kg of brown ale.
I used 65L of 74c strike water resulting in a mash temp of 65c
Mashed for three hrs and after sparging had 100L at 1074sg
Repeated above process but as it was well into the evening the mash was at 63c.
Smelled and tasted delicious and very sweet.
Will pitch yeast after work and water down to 1065ish :happy-partydance:
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby CyBaThUg » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:40 am

Wish I liked scotch only have tried a couple from johnny red to starward to me they all taste the same yuk lol :laughing-rolling:
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:03 am

Have just reduced the amount of oak and added 1 domino that's been in port, had a small sample for breakfast, very tasty, slightly nutty with a mild vanilla/caramel finish, reminds me of single grain Irish Whiskeys like Grenore and Glendalough, just needs some more finishing time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Bumper » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:41 pm

TasSpirits wrote:Have just reduced the amount of oak and added 1 domino that's been in port, had a small sample for breakfast, very tasty, slightly nutty with a mild vanilla/caramel finish, reminds me of single grain Irish Whiskeys like Grenore and Glendalough, just needs some more finishing time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds great Tas, how long will you leave the port domino?
Bumper

equipment: ------

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:22 pm

Bumper wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:Have just reduced the amount of oak and added 1 domino that's been in port, had a small sample for breakfast, very tasty, slightly nutty with a mild vanilla/caramel finish, reminds me of single grain Irish Whiskeys like Grenore and Glendalough, just needs some more finishing time. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sounds great Tas, how long will you leave the port domino?

Ill check again May/June then revaluate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Azza76 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Grenore is one of my fav my mrs used to work for CCA they were the sales for it used to get the stuff at a pretty good price with staff discount they decided to make her redundant :handgestures-thumbdown: no more cheap spirits for me lol
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:53 pm

Azza76 wrote:

Grenore is one of my fav my mrs used to work for CCA they were the sales for it used to get the stuff at a pretty good price with staff discount they decided to make her redundant :handgestures-thumbdown: no more cheap spirits for me lol

You must be using some expensive ingredients if you aren't making cheap spirits :laughing-rolling: Tough luck about the Mrs job though, Grenore 8y old is one of my favourites.
TasSpirits

Postby Azza76 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:10 pm

Lol only just started stilling mate will hope to make something similar to Grenore one day starting out with rum and move on from there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Azza76

equipment: 2" pot still shotgun condenser
2"boka 50 lt keg boiler

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Good luck with the journey mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Previous

Return to Recipe Development