BIAB Single Malt Whisky

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: BIAB Single Malt Whisky

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:29 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
That would be awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: , I mainly use distillers malt but have used a few other types quite successfully,I have lately been using 7kg for a 25L wash and have had good results. I cost my recipes using costing software from my time as a chef so it should be fairly close.

Cheers

What OG and FG readings are you getting with that amount of malt? i.e. thats about a standard 5.5%-6% beer. You want the wash up around the 10% to make the running of it worthwhile I reckon.

Let me go track down beersmith and find out what Ive been doing.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:37 pm

I generaly shoot for around the 8% mark, using distillers malt I seem get a slightly higher yield than with other malts. The wash I am stripping now was:
SG- 1055
FG- 990
Alc%- 8.3%
Should collect arount 5L @ 37% from my pot.
I have never been to concerned about the accuracy of the readings, but will be for a dedicated trail.
Will post the collected amount and % :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:40 pm

wedwards wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:
That would be awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: , I mainly use distillers malt but have used a few other types quite successfully,I have lately been using 7kg for a 25L wash and have had good results. I cost my recipes using costing software from my time as a chef so it should be fairly close.

Cheers

What OG and FG readings are you getting with that amount of malt? i.e. thats about a standard 5.5%-6% beer. You want the wash up around the 10% to make the running of it worthwhile I reckon.

What temp do you heat you mash to for beer? do you perhaps lose a little alc content?
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:45 pm

TasSpirits wrote:I generaly shoot for around the 8% mark, using distillers malt I seem get a slightly higher yield than with other malts. The wash I am stripping now was:
SG- 1055
FG- 990
Alc%- 8.3%
Should collect arount 5L @ 37% from my pot.
I have never been to concerned about the accuracy of the readings, but will be for a dedicated trail.
Will post the collected amount and % :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What is your total weight of grain and are these numbers for a 30l ferment?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:00 pm

7kg and 23 to 25L ferment using Malt whisky yeast. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:03 pm

Ok thanks. Where do you get your yeast?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:05 pm

For a 50L batch I used;

9kg pale malt
3kg peated malt

This gave me an estimated OG of 1.059 and FG 1.016 (5.6%). BIAB will get you slightly higher efficiency.

You can sub the peated and just go with all pale or golden promise or something like that for a true single malt.

If I was to make it now, I would be inclined to bump the malt up to 15kg total to end up closer to 10% in final wash.

From memory, the braumeister doesn't like 15kg of grain in its mash column, so thats why i backed it off to 12kg. I should just do 2 mashes in the same liquid then ferment that, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

For mash temps, I changed them compared to a normal beer. Im doing step mashing on the braumeister, but can't remember temps at the minute. They were done specifically to minimise proteins that would cause foaming (which is a real nuisance with this type of distilling), as well as to maximise the fermentable sugar availability.
wedwards

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:12 pm

Is safspirit the one you use? Also found this guide for extending yeast http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-Paying-for-Yeast-Make-Your-Own/?ALLSTEPS would that work with whiskey yeast or would it change the yeast somehow?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:14 pm

TasSpirits wrote:
wedwards wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:

Cheers

What temp do you heat you mash to for beer? do you perhaps lose a little alc content?

Forget this post, didn't think it through :laughing-rolling:

Bluc, I get my yeast from brew in QLD, I have used Safale 04 and 05 with good results
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:15 pm

Sorry Guys having dramas with the net, will be back soon
TasSpirits

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:22 pm

bluc wrote:Is safspirit the one you use? Also found this guide for extending yeast http://www.instructables.com/id/Stop-Paying-for-Yeast-Make-Your-Own/?ALLSTEPS would that work with whiskey yeast or would it change the yeast somehow?

try it and let us know!! in that scenario, i would suggest yeast is just yeast. you might make a nice whiskey flavoured bagel which you can then give to me and i will tell you if its any good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
wedwards

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:04 pm

Collected 4.7L @ 37% im happy with that :-D works for my costings.

Bluc I meant ibrew not brew, damn mac ant auto correct 8-}
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:08 pm

wedwards wrote:For a 50L batch I used;

9kg pale malt
3kg peated malt

This gave me an estimated OG of 1.059 and FG 1.016 (5.6%). BIAB will get you slightly higher efficiency.

You can sub the peated and just go with all pale or golden promise or something like that for a true single malt.

If I was to make it now, I would be inclined to bump the malt up to 15kg total to end up closer to 10% in final wash.

From memory, the braumeister doesn't like 15kg of grain in its mash column, so thats why i backed it off to 12kg. I should just do 2 mashes in the same liquid then ferment that, but haven't gotten around to doing that yet.

For mash temps, I changed them compared to a normal beer. Im doing step mashing on the braumeister, but can't remember temps at the minute. They were done specifically to minimise proteins that would cause foaming (which is a real nuisance with this type of distilling), as well as to maximise the fermentable sugar availability.

:text-+1: on the unfermentables, the clean up sucks big time :crying-blue:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:09 pm

I get stuff from ibrew whenever possible quick turn around usually have my stuff next day.. will get some safspirit to try :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Apr 12, 2016 6:00 am

Im going to mash 7kg of Joe White Export Pilsner tonight, these are the steps I will take.

Heat 20L strike water to 72'.
Add cracked grain, temp should drop to 65'.
wrap in blanket.
stir every 15, drain off 3L and pour back over twice.
drain after 90 mins, pouring mash back over the grain very few minutes.
cool to 30'(i use a block of ice, this also gets a level unto 23L or so)
once down to 30' I will pitch 12gms of malt whisky yeast that has been rehydrated.

cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby wedwards » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:00 am

TasSpirits wrote:Im going to mash 7kg of Joe White Export Pilsner tonight, these are the steps I will take.

Heat 20L strike water to 72'.
Add cracked grain, temp should drop to 65'.
wrap in blanket.
stir every 15, drain off 3L and pour back over twice.
drain after 90 mins, pouring mash back over the grain very few minutes.
cool to 30'(i use a block of ice, this also gets a level unto 23L or so)
once down to 30' I will pitch 12gms of malt whisky yeast that has been rehydrated.

cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

sounds about right mate. only thing I do different is nochill as im a lazy sod, then ferment it the next day or the one after depending on batch size. keeping the mash at 65 should get you the best outcome - when i first did it i ran a step mash from 60 up into the low 70s and had some pretty impressive puking :oops:

if I get a few moments this weekend ill do a straight 65C mash on the braumeister with some peated malt and we can compare flavours at the end :)
wedwards

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:14 am

I generally use 50/50 peated/unpeated, just waiting on a new bag, will make do with unpeated for the meantime :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:50 pm

So last nights mash was not quite as successful as I had hoped, ended up with a SG of 1.051(temp corrected)still o.k, will yield a little less. This is my first time using this malt by itself, so I have a potential alc content of 7.8%. The plan is to strip 7 lots of this then do a spirit run, if it all goes according to plan I should end up with close to 5L hearts @65% :pray:
TasSpirits

Postby bluc » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Are you doing gens, backset and reusing yeast?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wedwards » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:15 pm

bluc wrote:Are you doing gens, backset and reusing yeast?

I used to just pour my next wash onto the yeast cake in the fermenter, but I found with barley washes it seemed to almost always get an infection. Im crazy about sanitation when fermenting, and could never work out why it happened all the time, so I don't reuse yeast or anything these days when Im making a single malt. Ive used the same process with beers and beer yeasts and never had an issue, so no clue, but you still get a good product doing single gens.
wedwards

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development