Molasses+kale rum.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Molasses+kale rum.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:04 pm

TasSpirits wrote:Just pulled this out and had a taste, and its Rum, cant taste the Kale. Side by side comparison with a single gen MacRum I cant taste the difference, only a week apart in age on American oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What's your preferred Oak? French/US? Medium/heavy roast? I'm enjoying medium US over Dark Us, but haven't tried French yet...
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby TasSpirits » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:25 am

EziTasting wrote:
TasSpirits wrote:Just pulled this out and had a taste, and its Rum, cant taste the Kale. Side by side comparison with a single gen MacRum I cant taste the difference, only a week apart in age on American oak :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What's your preferred Oak? French/US? Medium/heavy roast? I'm enjoying medium US over Dark Us, but haven't tried French yet...

I prefer Heavy toast American oak, haven't had anything on French for long enough for a true comparison yet.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby Icefever » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:03 am

I don't know how I missed this thread... :whistle: but I've been making Googe's kale wash over the last year or so. I did change from sugar to Golden Syrup after the first few washes thou...it comes out as a beautiful rum

I use around 5.5 kg of golden syrup and 100grams of kale..I know GS can be expensive in some parts of the world.

Now I've added the kale in different ways over the last washes....I've blitzed it raw, I added it whole raw, and I've simmered it and then used the juice...and I must admit I can't see any difference in the outcome of the wash. They all finish out great....I run it through a pot still...then onto French oak for a few weeks.

In the end, I get a vanilla flavoured rum.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Icefever

equipment: Started off with an Airstill, got the bug now starting on building my own.

Previous

Return to Recipe Development