Kale neutral.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Kale neutral.

Postby Grumpydude » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Hey guys,

I have made dozens Kale washes and have found them to be much better than a TPW. The ingredients for my wash are as follows.

100 grams Kale (blended with a few cups of water)
7 kilos dextrose
90 grams Lowans bakers yeast.
25 Litres filtered water.

I aerate with a handheld blender with a whisk fitting. Ferment at 26 degrees.Give it a few days to clear and distill.
I have found it to be much smoother and pleasant than TPW. I don't understand why there is not a Kale wash recipe in the "tried and proven"?
Has anyone else had a crack at a kale wash?

Cheers Bill.
Grumpydude

equipment: Pure Distilling Rig, Home made 2inch Pot Still. FSD Neutraliser, 50 litre Milk Can, Kegerator. Carter head.

Postby Sam. » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 pm

Grumpydude wrote:Hey guys,

I have made dozens Kale washes and have found them to be much better than a TPW. The ingredients for my wash are as follows.

7 kilos dextrose

I aerate with a handheld blender with a whisk fitting. Ferment at 26 degrees.Give it a few days to clear and distill.
I have found it to be much smoother and pleasant than TPW. I don't understand why there is not a Kale wash recipe in the "tried and proven"?

Cheers Bill.

Is that for 25L? :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Woodsy71 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:08 am

Grumpydude wrote:Hey guys,

7 kilos dextrose

Cheers Bill.

Hi Bill,

Yep, as the thread suggests, quite a few use Kale wash. Personally, I think it makes an excellent base spirit for gin, and if I have it in the garden, it's my go to for neutral.

Awesome to hear that there's another convert :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If I could offer you some advice, Bill. If your recipe is for a 25 litre wash, then 7kg of sugar is too much.

I use 5kg per 25l. I reckon you'll find that ratio to be the rule of thumb for most washes. I know a few blokes using 4kg for Kale.

Also, you could drop the yeast back to 70 grams. These steps will help keep your yeast colony happy, not stressed :smile:

Cheers

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby shortybronx88 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:33 am

So I think its about time I try this..... :text-thankyoublue:
shortybronx88

equipment: A custom 4inch 6 plate copper column is my weapon!

I have also been known to make a few random brews with differing level of success

Postby Grumpydude » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:21 pm

Hey Woodsy71, Thanks for the advice. I am using dextrose not sugar (that's why I have a larger quantity) though it maybe an idea to try a lesser quantity and compare yield/quality, I thought that as dextrose is a simpler sugar (1 molecule)(table sugar has two molecules) the yeast have less problem consuming dextrose. I prefer using dextrose over sugar for a few reasons. I've found it dissolves easier, it ferments quicker, it is 100% fermenteble , don't have to invert it at all. I think it taste more neutral than table sugar too. I buy it in 25 kilo bags for $48. I know it more expensive than sugar, but for the time I save and the taste I prefer I don't mind spending the extra bucks. Thanks again for the info.

Cheers Bill.
Grumpydude

equipment: Pure Distilling Rig, Home made 2inch Pot Still. FSD Neutraliser, 50 litre Milk Can, Kegerator. Carter head.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:05 pm

Sounds good where do you buy dextrose at that price
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Grumpydude » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Hey Aussiedownunder01, I get it from the home brew shop in Richmond. I buy 10 bags at a time and split them with my best mate. The guy at Richmond is a great bloke,. He's a younger bloke (20's) and does a shitload of brewing.

Cheers Bill.
Grumpydude

Postby Woodsy71 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:59 pm

No worries Bill, each to their own :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Enjoy the ride, man :smile:
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:04 am

Dextrose if you look on flea bay $200 for 6 x 25 kg Bankstown NSW $1.33 kg so if can get at the right price not that more expensive then sugar.
wynnum1

Postby db1979 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:40 pm

I put down 25 L of this wash a few weeks back and ran it once through my 4 plate bubbler. It came out pretty neutral. I cleaned it up by soaking on activated carbon and my girlfriend and I now enjoy it with soda water and a squeeze of lime juice. I imagine a packed section would strip all the last bits of flavour out.

It seems like a good straight forward, no nonsense recipe. Any chance of it making into the tried and proven?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby tassiespirit » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Just put down this Kale wash for the first time , but I used a packet of "Freeze Dried" Kale from the Woolies freezer at a monstrous 99 cents for a 250 gm bag ! :happy-partydance:
Has anyone else see this stuff? It comes in mashed up balls ( about 9 to the bag). Way cheaper than the fresh stuff.

Anyway, I used the standard 5kg of sugar , added the frozen cubes to boiling water and they "fell apart" , then let then cook/steep in the boiling water. Added this to the sugar mix, added the extra water up to the 25 l mark then added the 90gms of bakers yeast already activated in warm water ( with a little sugar to start it).
Stirred the lot , waited til it settle and took a reading of 1070 SG.

Since then , she has been farting away gently since 1pm today. Just have to wait and see if it follows through til the end.
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby Lowie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 pm

It will work mate, the sugar will make sure of that!
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby tassiespirit » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Lowie wrote:It will work mate, the sugar will make sure of that!

That's cool. I am new to all this either way. So learning and teating , but always having fun :)
tassiespirit

equipment: Got a small reflux, need to sort things out for a Pot style as well.

Postby Lowie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:28 pm

Mate, every day is a learning experience. Head on over to the tried and proven section. You can't go wrong there :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowie

equipment: 4", 4 plate "Frankenfurter" copper bubbler and blockhead on a 50L 3000W electric boiler, 10000W controller - don't even know why I need that much, all grain HERMS system through 18G HLT keg and 50L mash tun.

Postby loveitfree » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:08 am

Hey Tas,
How did the frozen Kale work? Going to put down a Kale wash in the next few days just wondering whether or not to give it a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
loveitfree

equipment: No more essencia lol
FSD Neutraliser and 50l milkcan.

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:40 am

What is the country of origin for the frozen kale.
wynnum1

Postby ruskie » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:33 pm

Has anyone tried this through an Airstill?

I am trying a TPW for the first time this week so think I might try this one next.
ruskie

equipment: Stillspirits Air Still

Postby bluc » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:00 pm

My first neutral/ kale wash is done time to setup my packed section and re configure the still :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby 78Monk » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:51 am

Just finished my first 4 litre stripping run of a kale wash on my little airstill.

27litres
80grams of lowans
150g frozen kale whizzed up in the blender with a bit of water.
6kg brown sugar. (all I had available will do white next)
1080 - 980 in 8 days
2 - 3 days to settle after de bubbling (gassing off?)

Got 1200ish mls of 48% first run

What can I say.

After only ever doing turbos in the past, even from a stripping run I can say kale wash sh#ts all over turbos. No smelly house (mrs is stoked), no weird tang and odours from the spirit. Yep quantity is down slightly (I only ever did 6kgs to a alcotec 48 so there's not a huge difference 9kg guys would definitely notice) but even first strip run its already drinkable ( compared to a stripped and cut spirit run of turbo).

I can't wait to bang the rest of the wash through and get into the spirit run and see how it comes out.
I'm a convert. Turbos can EAD.
Thanks to all who share their knowledge, very very appreciated.

Monk
78Monk

equipment: -Gypsy-
50l Keg boiler, 2 x 2200W elements.
2" copper pot 850mm column.
500mm shotgun condenser.

Airstill (RETIRED)

Postby Sam. » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:08 am

78Monk wrote:I'm a convert. Turbos can EAD.

Well said :clap:

:laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development