Kale neutral.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Kale neutral.

Postby coffe addict » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:44 pm

:text-+1: what wynnum said.
I've had a little experience with storing dried foods, they have a tendency to loose most of the desired flavours and nutrients and often still go rancid or moldy.

In vacume bag they don't require drying and are completely sealed. The contents will need to be sterile so either heat treated or placed in a salt brine for a few hrs. This stops nasties getting at contents and will store well in a fridge for a month maybe two, longer in a freezer
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby TasSpirits » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 pm

So after growing this for the last 6 months I decided to try some again, not bad if you cook some winter Kale. Winter and Summer Kale taste very different I wonder if it would make a difference in the ferment :think: almost tempted to make some neutral.
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:42 am

if you do an Internet search How to grow kale and collards

Planning facts
Typical spacing: 8” x 24”
Square foot per plant: 1
Time to Harvest: baby kale, 25 days;
mature, 60 to 150 days
Frost will only
improve the flavor.
wynnum1

Postby googe » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:36 pm

Different how tas?.
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby Icefever » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:25 pm

googe wrote:Different how tas?.

Perhaps folks think that using kale Googe that they'll taste it in the likker....for those of us who have tried it know better.
Icefever

equipment: Started off with an Airstill, got the bug now starting on building my own.

Postby TasSpirits » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:52 pm

Was thinking for the flavour to change so much there must be some changes in the plant nutrient wise, our kale is over a year old now.
TasSpirits

Postby googe » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:10 pm

Dunno icefever. I meant what differences in taste tas, I don't eat it so not familiar with differences in taste. Saying that, I guess I havnt noticed differences in the finished product if the kale does taste different. Sounds confusing 8-} :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby TasSpirits » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:54 am

googe wrote:Dunno icefever. I meant what differences in taste tas, I don't eat it so not familiar with differences in taste. Saying that, I guess I havnt noticed differences in the finished product if the kale does taste different. Sounds confusing 8-} :laughing-rolling:

It has a much sweeter taste now. Its almost edible :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Petulance » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:46 pm

This EC1118 ferment is so slow! Which is probably my own fault.

I did a pH test on my tanks water, and my public water.

You'd think that tank water, harvested from your roof, would be almost pure. Not true.

Tank water pH = 3.5

Town water (Brisbane & Moreton Rivers shire) = 6.5

I've had to increase the pH (remove acidity) twice so far.

This sucks! You would think that rain water would be about as neutral as you can get! Apparently not so.

Ah well, lesson learned. Check the pH regardless of your water source.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Sam. » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:17 pm

Dude, that is in acid rain territory at 3.5 :scared-eek:

Something definitely wrong there.....
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:49 pm

Has the tank been emptied i got a IBC and pump it full from the water tank to get more water for the garden got Gateway traffic and other roads so not a clean area here not safe near these busy roads .
wynnum1

Postby scythe » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:26 pm

Do you have alot of gum leaves in your gutters?
Gum tree sap is acidic so maybe it is dropping the pH that way.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Petulance » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:59 pm

I'm measuring the pH using universal pH test papers. I don't have anything in my gutters (that I can see). I might have to invest in another electronic pH tester. I used to have it, but an accident with a grinder saw it die a nasty death. DON'T ASK why I had a running grinder in one hand and a pH meter in the other! Suffice it to say that home handyman tasks are not my strong suit.

The EC1118 ferment still bubbles along slowly. I tried putting an electric blanket round it for a couple of days... nothing... then I remembered that I'd cut through the blanket's power cord a couple of weeks ago. I've got to get rid of that grinder!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to find an old electric blanket (well it's not old now, but it sure will be when I've finished with it) and prop up the wash temperature to 20 degrees or so. I hope that speeds things up just little.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:01 am

Petulance wrote:I'm measuring the pH using universal pH test papers. I don't have anything in my gutters (that I can see). I might have to invest in another electronic pH tester. I used to have it, but an accident with a grinder saw it die a nasty death. DON'T ASK why I had a running grinder in one hand and a pH meter in the other! Suffice it to say that home handyman tasks are not my strong suit.

The EC1118 ferment still bubbles along slowly. I tried putting an electric blanket round it for a couple of days... nothing... then I remembered that I'd cut through the blanket's power cord a couple of weeks ago. I've got to get rid of that grinder!

Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to find an old electric blanket (well it's not old now, but it sure will be when I've finished with it) and prop up the wash temperature to 20 degrees or so. I hope that speeds things up just little.

Do not buy a cordless grinder or power saw who knows what could accidentally cut off.
wynnum1

Postby Petulance » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:23 pm

What??? if it's cordless it's dangerous. If it's connected to 240 volts it's safe? Shit ... all my theories about electricity and death just got chucked out the window!

I need to buy a 7,000 volt, 4,000 amp grinder with no earth connection (other than my arm) and I'm set to go!

As soon as my eyes light up, I'll get back to you ....
Petulance

Postby Sam. » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:27 pm

:laughing-rolling: :text-+1: I would rather have a fight with a cordless grinder than one plugged into 240 anyday b-(
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby wynnum1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:31 am

"DON'T ASK why I had a running grinder in one hand and a pH meter in the other! " Just toilet humour.
wynnum1

Postby googe » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:26 pm

my latest brew went well in the minus c temps weve been getting here, had a few -5-6c :-| no stalling. ran it last weekend, same taste as aussie kale lol.
googe

Postby Icefever » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:02 pm

googe wrote:my latest brew went well in the minus c temps weve been getting here, had a few -5-6c :-| no stalling. ran it last weekend, same taste as aussie kale lol.

How long had the wash been on??? if it was near to finished....but I always thought that if any brew/wash went down too low the yeast would just die. I'd read that years back when starting to brew beer...but it looks like it's not correct??. :think:
Icefever

equipment: Started off with an Airstill, got the bug now starting on building my own.

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:48 pm

i thought they went dormant, or hibernated
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development