Kale neutral.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Kale neutral.

Postby wil » Wed May 04, 2016 11:08 am

Hi Googe Thank you for sharing the recipe :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

What I did with the Kale was basically blended it with a stick blender in a jug. wow I'm so not good in the kitchen as you know its almost a fluorescent lime green well the stick blender created a bit of suction in the jug so i lifted it out, but still had it running so the kitchen had Kale poker dots everywhere :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

So I grabbed some brownie points when the wife got home sprooking off how I gave the kitchen a good going over & it took ages. So I got a smile & a thank you Darl, but I once read somewhere, house work done by the husband is like foreplay to women ? thought :handgestures-thumbupleft: I was in after that effort. Anyway the wife didn't go off but happily the Kale wash did. :)) yeah hoping this is as nice as you have found Googe as the quicker ferment time & using lowans yeast will make things easier. Have you used EC118 with the Kale wash?
Cheers :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby googe » Thu May 05, 2016 6:37 am

No worries wil, lol funny you mention splashing kale.with the stick blender, that's exactly what happened to me last time!, them suckers certainly do suck the bottom lol. There's members elsewhere that have boiled it and used the juice and said it works. Some worry about the particals floating but they settle out well when it's done. I havnt tried any other yeast, keen to though.
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby wil » Sun May 08, 2016 10:00 am

well Googes goo Kale wash is still bubbling away all be it at a moderate pace without any heating just a blanket with the temps dropping from 25deg to 17.
looking forward to running it but will wait till it stops bubbling & settles for a few days. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
cheers
Wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby Zzpop » Sun May 08, 2016 1:17 pm

Have got a couple of trial ferments going side by side
50g kale
2.5 kg sugar
1/3 cup bakers yeast
Topped up to 12.5 lts
200g wheat germ boiled for 30 min
2.5 kg sugar
1/3 cup bakers yeast
Topped up to 12.5 lts
Sg for both was 1080 which I thought was a bit high but might be suspended solids.I will strip both to compare returns.My aim is best wash for a neutral
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zzpop

equipment: Boka and pot
4" 4 perf plate column +50lt boiler

Postby Wobblyboot » Sun May 08, 2016 8:20 pm

Putting 25l down tonight, interested to see how it goes, will have heating set to 30 on it :dance:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby googe » Tue May 10, 2016 8:53 am

What gravity is it will?, just interested to see how others work in different climates. Good stuff zzpop, have you done wheat germ before?. Good.luck wobblyboot, never tried one with a set temp!.
googe

Postby EziTasting » Fri May 13, 2016 6:26 pm

OK, time for a "Silly-Bugger" question! :teasing-tease:

When you speak of Kale, do you have a particular Kale in mind or any old Kale will do!?!?! 8-}
Coz, theres:
Black Tuscan Kale (Cavolo Nero) – very dark green foliage, grown as a winter crop and it is easy to grow as it tolerates a wide range of climates and soil conditions
Red Winter – if you can grow this in a cold climate you will get the sweetest of all the Kales. Large oak leaf foliage is green with purple veins.
Squire – A curly kale with leaves that are tender when young.
Chou Moellier – large growing with leaves that have a little curl
Red Russian Kale – the leaves are actually green, however the stems are a red to purple. You can use this in a salad as the young leaves are sweeter than most other varieties
Scotch (Borecole) – Often called Blue curled Scotch, great for cold climates
Toscana – Very dark green leaves fairly upright. x_x

Can't get any in the local shops, so looking online for seeds... ~x(
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby jacobraven » Fri May 13, 2016 6:29 pm

jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby EziTasting » Fri May 13, 2016 6:32 pm

Not my flipping Coles!

Hence the seeds ...
EziTasting

Postby jacobraven » Fri May 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Well i believe its the ordinary green kale

http://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-fothergil ... s_p2960447

You got a bunnings ; )
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby EziTasting » Fri May 13, 2016 6:45 pm

jacobraven wrote:Well i believe its the ordinary green kale

http://www.bunnings.com.au/mr-fothergil ... s_p2960447

You got a bunnings ; )

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: It's coming!!! :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

We ain't got Sh1t in this town!
EziTasting

Postby googe » Fri May 13, 2016 6:48 pm

I use the green one, I've always know it as curly kale in aus. Should be able to get it anywhere, safeway/woolies. Local fruit shop, market should have it. Where do you live ezitasting?. It's easy to grow, it's like a weed lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby EziTasting » Fri May 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Far North WA - Mining town!

We have a pub for every 7 blokes, a brothel for every 50 blokes, Coles, Kmart & Wollies... but I am yet to see Kale anywhere!
Joined the local community garden group so I could get my hand onto some ... but they have given me all sorts of stuff, God bless them... but I'm still Kaleless!
:angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling: :angry-banghead:
EziTasting

Postby googe » Fri May 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Dam kale haters lol. Did ya ask ya veg mates if they can get seeds?. Maybe wait to see what others that try it say before you go to to much trouble, they might say it's shit and my taste buds are fucked lol.
googe

Postby EziTasting » Fri May 13, 2016 7:38 pm

Well, jacobraven has given me a link to Bunnings for 400 seeds! all for $3.65 (or something), postage in a letter would be another buck and it is apparently the best time of the year for me to seed them! We are getting cold here; its 17-30 every day now so nearly time to bust out the jumpers...

EDIT: fleabay has them for $2.95!!!
Last edited by EziTasting on Fri May 13, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EziTasting

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri May 13, 2016 7:41 pm

image.jpeg
It looks ready :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Wobblyboot

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 pm

I found the kale in that section Iv never looked at in Safeway, all the weird assed green leafy shit :teasing-tease:
Wobblyboot

Postby wynnum1 » Sat May 14, 2016 10:02 am

EziTasting wrote:Far North WA - Mining town!

We have a pub for every 7 blokes, a brothel for every 50 blokes, Coles, Kmart & Wollies... but I am yet to see Kale anywhere!
Joined the local community garden group so I could get my hand onto some ... but they have given me all sorts of stuff, God bless them... but I'm still Kaleless!

Aldi had for sale last september sprouting and micro greens kit that had red russian kale seeds if you look at sellers they do not send to Western Australia .
micro greens may work to get a quick crop the seed for sprouting and micro greens seeds are cheaper because you need a larger amount.
wynnum1

Postby Kenster » Sat May 14, 2016 7:50 pm

Ezi, i could be wrong but Kale is pretty much a cold lover... and does best where winers are cold like in Vic..
your climate may be too warm for them to do well...do a DR GOOGLE to avoid a lot of expectation and possible disappointment.
I grow a lot of shit at home but some stuff just wont work here ...
This might sound stoopid, but whoever thought kale would provide nutrient... Googe had the balls to try and ...success..
What if, you tried another 'local' abundant fruit / veg... surely the yeasties cant be that fussy..
Personally, idont have the inclination, TPW suits me, (although, as i have kale , i might give it a go)
Might even try zucchini next season...why not
Sorry to rave....
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun May 15, 2016 6:27 am

EziTasting wrote:Far North WA - Mining town!

With a pub and a brothel in town why would you want to waste time distilling :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development