Kale neutral.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Kale neutral.

Postby Icefever » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:20 pm

googe wrote: I just blitz it with the stick blender till it's broken up, no real rocket science to it, I like things easy and simple lol.

Forgot that bit.. 8-} ...altho one time I just chopped it up and added it...must say I didn't see any difference....but I do blitz it now.
Icefever

equipment: Started off with an Airstill, got the bug now starting on building my own.

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:45 pm

googe wrote:Mine have a hint of taste like a dry white wine wynum, I'm no wine snob though lol.

Do you think it could be used as a nutrient in a wine or beer.
wynnum1

Postby Wobblyboot » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:27 pm

Finally giving this a 2nd try. Putting 50l down tonight then gotta go away for 10 days. Hope to run it day after I get back :dance:
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Icefever » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:57 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:Finally giving this a 2nd try.

What did you think of the first wash???
Icefever

equipment: Started off with an Airstill, got the bug now starting on building my own.

Postby Wobblyboot » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:43 am

I'm not a fan of tpw. The kale seemed more like my grain based neutrals, will know more when I run it.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Petulance » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:51 pm

I've been struggling to get a neutral neutral out of a TPW wash. So I'm going to attempt a Kale neutral. Not wanting to buy a fist full of kale, I've opted for a Kale Powder from a healthfood store. More expensive, I know, but a) I can reseal that pack after only using a little, and b) I hate the taste of cooked kale.

Since the powder form is made by gently drying the fresh form (thereby removing the weightiest portion in the form of water), it stands to reason that where others have used 100 grams of fresh kale, I can use substantially less in powder. So. Here we go.
Recipe:
45 litres water
10 kgs sugar
25 grams Kale powder
20 grams EC1118 yeast rehydrated

Method:
Dissolve the sugar in hot water, and top up with cold water to 45 litre mark.
Mop up the spillage.
Use some of the sugar water to dissolve the kale power and pour back into the fermenter.
Mop up the spillage.
Rehydrate the yeast (however you usually do that).
Stir it all up.
Mop up the inevitable spillage.
Explain to wife why there are green sugary smears on garage floor.
Mop floor again.
Submit remopped floor for re-evaluation.
Refuse to re-remop floor.
Go to pub.

Yeah, that sounds about right. More later (if wife does not remove me from this forum)
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Toddles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:07 pm

Kale is 84% water so for your 50 ltr wash you would want to use 32 grams of the powder to replicate the 200 grams of fresh Kale this recipe calls for.

Apart from that looks like you have some more mopping to do! 8-}
Toddles
Site Donor

equipment: 30 ltr boiler
2" coil pc
3" 1 metre packed stainless for neutral -95.6% abv
3" 370mm unpacked for pot stilling -81% abv + 1/2 inch air cooled worm

Postby Icefever » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:42 pm

@ Petulance..hi.

I'm no lover of kale myself, what I do is buy a bag of kale...they come in at 600gms, split it down into 6x 100gms into a ziplock bags and bung them in the freezer. Another guy I know did the same with the power I'll have to ask how it came out.
Icefever

Postby Petulance » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:14 pm

OK. Wash complete. Pity I didn't read the post about the amount of kale powder required. But stuff me, 7 grams less won't be the end of the world. Ummm... I guess I could slop in another few grams... OK I will. Are you impressed at the speed of my thought and decision making processes? Yeah, so am I.

Starting Specific Gravity : 1.08
Pitching Temperature: 25.6 C

"How does it look?" I hear you ask. Well, for those old enough to remember Ghostbusters 1 - The Original, the colour is just a shade less green than Slimer. For those too young to remember Slimer, think Canberra Raiders, but lots paler.

Now, a few tips for people less experienced than me. Yes, I'm talking to 2 people.

1) Never have glasses in your house which are identical. Why? Well, if you're drinking vodka in one glass, and decide to rehydrate yeast in the other identical glass .... this scheme is fraught with danger. You can either:
a) scoop your yeast into a 45% ABV vodka glass resulting in a disappointing yeast hydration and no activity whatsoever in the fermenter
b) reach for a sip, and ingest about 20 grams of yeast (I sip big)
c) both of the above, which really screws up your day.

Trust me ... I know all of these possibilities are true.

2) Never fill your fermenter with 45 litres of water then attempt to lift it onto a bench. This results in:
a) a small but painful hernia
b) an overbalancing act which inevitably ends in either a larger and more painful hernia, or a spill of biblical flood proportions.
c) both of the above, which really screws up your day.

3) Never tell your other half why you need all the old tee-shirts and rags in the house. This results in:
a) screeching which will render you matrimonially deaf in both ears (not actually a bad thing)
b) being consigned to sleeping with your wash (at least you keep each other warm)
c) having your favourite tee-shirt ripped to rags and being told "here fix your mess with this"
d) all of the above, which really screws up your day.

So, the wash is down, I know where I'm sleeping, I know what happened to my favourite clothes. All is well with the world.

I guess.

More later.
Petulance

equipment: 4 plate 4 inch modular copper bubbler with 300 mm packed or unpacked extension on 50 litre SS keg. All my own work. It ain't pretty, but it's all mine!

Postby Toddles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:22 pm

You are a funny bastard.

The flora in your gut must be having a party after that *sip of yeast! :puke-huge:
Toddles
Site Donor

2" coil pc

Postby Petulance » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Toddles,

I would reply, but I can stop belching and farting.

My fingers just won't work when internal pressure is greater than external pressure.

There must be a physics lesson in this somewhere!

But at the moment, I just don't care!
Petulance

Postby googe » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:08 pm

It's 100g of kale, so you'll have to take some back out now haha, you are a funny bastard lol. Good luck with it.
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby Toddles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:21 pm

googe wrote:It's 100g of kale, so you'll have to take some back out now haha, you are a funny bastard lol. Good luck with it.

He is doing a 50 litre wash googs. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Toddles
Site Donor

2" coil pc

Postby googe » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:25 pm

Doh missed that, thanks toodles, carry on lol.
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Postby Petulance » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:28 pm

C'mon guys!!!

Take some out!

Put some in!

You sound like my wife!!!!
Petulance

Postby Toddles » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:53 pm

:laughing-rolling:
Petulance wrote:C'mon guys!!!

Take some out!

Put some in!

You sound like my wife!!!!
Toddles
Site Donor

2" coil pc

Postby Petulance » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:56 pm

That EC1118 just keeps bubbling along. It's slow, but sure.

I reckon it will take about 2 weeks to ferment out (based on nothing but a guess)

I'll keep you updated.
Petulance

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:56 am

Had a look to see what frozen kale cost $2.70 -250 grams $11 a kilo online .
wynnum1

Postby Petulance » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm going to try running fresh kale through a food dehydrator, crushing the result and storing in zip-lock bags. Will it work? Probably not, but it's worth a crack.
Petulance

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Petulance wrote:I'm going to try running fresh kale through a food dehydrator, crushing the result and storing in zip-lock bags. Will it work? Probably not, but it's worth a crack.

What about doing like hops dry and then vacuum pack in the freezer.
wynnum1

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development