Kale neutral.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Kale neutral.

Postby googe » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:07 pm

Hey all, seems I created some confusion with the use of kale in washes, so thought I'd post my original recipe to explain, hopefully..

I created this as a neutral recipe, the kale is for nutrient only, although it does have some flavour notes if not ran through enough packing etc. there more of a slight floral note more than anything. It shits over any other neutral I've done, tpw, wheat bix.

25L wash
100g kale, blended with water
5kg white sugar
90g bakers yeast

I just chuck it in together to melt sugar, then add yeast at around 35c. Should start at 1080 and regularly finishes at 0989. It will clear to almost translucency. I run it through 3 plates and packed lava at around 93%. it's very clean and crisp and ideal for flavouring etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Re: Kale neutral.

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:43 pm

ill have to give this a go, got a shitload of Kale in the garden :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby EziTasting » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:47 pm

Thank you googe, that's what I was afta!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby googe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:41 am

Cool tasspirit :handgestures-thumbupleft: , just put a dozen seedlings in yesterday ourselves, so easy to grow!. No worries ezitasting.
googe

Postby Woodsy71 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:50 am

Hey Googe, how long does this wash take to finish?
Woodsy71

equipment: CM and a Pot

Postby WTDist » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:01 am

I think ill look into this, being something you can grow and cheap and easy (yet to try myself) this may make it into the tried and proven area i think. Does it need 2 passes , as in strip and then reflux run or good straight off the still with 3 plates and packed section?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby googe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:35 am

I don't use fermenter heating woodsy, so used to take about 7 days in Melbourne, and a couple if days clearing if you want. It clears very well (see pic). I'd imagine in a warmer climate it would be done in five days :think: . I used to use 3 plates and packed section wtdist, I was happy with it, depends on personal taste I guess, could never taste any off flavours when using for flavouring etc.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby jacobraven » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:21 am

Wow tht cleared up well do you think that maybe your fridge like nights
jacobraven

equipment: 100 Litre Milk Can
Neutralizer
2 2400w

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:14 am

If it has a slight floral note how would it go making gin.
wynnum1

Postby googe » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:02 pm

That's an old pic from Melbourne jacobraven, it clears like that in most temps I've experienced, others that have done it say it clears well for them. Lol was gonna mention it's good for gin mynnum1, I've done a few and they've been nice, other member on another forum does thus wash souly for gin, reckons it's good for it.
googe

Postby wil » Tue May 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Hi All thought I would have a crack at Googes Kale wash :scared-eek: man after just 30 minutes its going off.I tried uploading a video but Im computer illiterate so I will try a few pics & you tube.

photo.JPG

[youtube]g18KoiA1cEg
photo.JPG
[/youtube]

cheers
wil
Last edited by wil on Tue May 03, 2016 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby WTDist » Tue May 03, 2016 6:50 pm

wil wrote:Hi All thought I would have a crack at Googes Kale wash :scared-eek: man after just 30 minutes its going off.I tried uploading a video but Im computer illiterate so I will try a few pics & you tube.

photo.JPG

[youtubehttps://youtu.be/g18KoiA1cEg][/youtube]

cheers
wil

only need the g18KoiA1cEg from https://youtu.be/g18KoiA1cEg inside [youtube][/youtube] :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

Postby wil » Tue May 03, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks Widst I don't know how to get youtube to work. :teasing-tease:
cheers
Wil
wil

equipment: 4" FSD Blockhead Neutralizer on a 50L keg boiler with FSD 2400Watt element

Postby wil » Tue May 03, 2016 6:59 pm

lol, how good am I
wil

Postby wil » Tue May 03, 2016 7:03 pm

WTDist That's what I did but doesn't work for me quess Im doing something wrong.
thanks heaps
Wil
wil

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue May 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Just make sure you remove the air lock before if you lift the fermenter :teasing-tease: :laughing-rolling:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Tue May 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Interested to see how well it would go sitting at 30-35 degrees. Being my still isnt at my place it would be good to see it done in just a few days. put a couple of batches down one day and distill 4 later. might be pushing it a bit maybe but would be good if it was like a quick ferment 8-} Ill prob try it anyway and have to let it sit for a month
WTDist

Postby wil » Tue May 03, 2016 10:45 pm

WTDist yeah the shorter ferment time as well as Googes comment that it is about the best neutral he has made eg TPW & weetbix.
He also said it may have a slight floral note if not run through enough packing, but Im sure the Neutralizer will do the job. However a slight floral note sounds pleasant in any case.

My TPW washes take about 5 to 6 weeks here in Newcastle without heating, on an open deck & using EC1118. So worth a try I think.
cheers
Wil
wil

Postby googe » Wed May 04, 2016 12:32 am

Good stuff wil, cool vid, never done a vid of it :handgestures-thumbupleft: looks like it's going.off.like.normal. Colour looks normal too lol. How did you do the kale?. if it takes 5~6 weeks there something very wrong lol. Good luck dude, hope it works ok for you.
googe

Postby WTDist » Wed May 04, 2016 10:12 am

i guess when i get around to it ill boil the lot to extract some nutrients into the liquid not just having the yeast get the nutrients out of the kale. maybe a slow boil for a bit then cool might make it ferment out a little quicker. would adding extra kale help do you think?

when i run it will be 4 bubble plates thumper and 6 perf plates replacing a packed section although the thumper may come after perf plates in my build schedule. want to do something different to the usual packed column.

Just wish my still was going to be used at my place, would have a kale wash on already as i have some dried kale in the cupboard the misses doesnt want.
WTDist

Next

Return to Recipe Development