Difference between T500 or T500 with copper lid

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: Difference between T500 or T500 with copper lid

Postby Professor Green » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:26 pm

Also Pist n broke, the 2" Mac Boka I mentioned isn't on the 5 Star web site but was priced to compete with the T500. You could always give them a call tomorrow and discuss your options with them. Allan and Sue are great folks to deal with.

I hope whatever way you chose to go, you end up happy with your purchase and that it serves you well.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:25 pm

If you want to make and drink whiskey you DO NOT WANT A T500 REFLUX STILL.

This is the third or fourth thread you've asked this same question, and you keep getting the same answer. It's obviously not the answer you think you want

There's hundreds of blokes here who bought the T500 etc, made a few sub-par spirits and found us looking for answers. You're one of the lucky ones that found us BEFORE you've wasted $700 on a still that you don't want.

A pot still is the simplest still to run, and the results are good. Build the 5 Star Pelican that the Professor just listed for you, find a second hand T500 boiler (theres probably dozens in sheds around here collecting dust because blokes have gone to a bigger boiler) and start making top shelf whiskey. The guides you see on youtube are full of shit, as a rule.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Cheersbigears » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:20 pm

I bought one of the T500s before I found this site and wished a found it before I wasted my money on one. At least if you buy the FSD gear now you can slow increase your still if you want and you will. You will not have to spend similar money to get what you wasted on buying a T500. Yes there are other brands out there having seen some I'm glad I have the FSD stuff.
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Wraith71 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:35 pm

Kenster wrote:pist.. get a grip.. for christ sakes... you have posted these dilemmas several times// RESEARCH what u want/need (in terms of the booze u want to make).. and make a FUCKING decision... we can not tell your brain what to do. Some times it is better to take a small risk, and learn from the experience.. the info you have received is enough to go onward.....
OBVIOUSLY... the T500 is not recommended as a good path... it is up to you bub...surely you get it by now.....

In my humble opinion .. stop :angry-banghead: and simply dive in.! Go hunting around for a 2nd hand unit .. get your wash on and give it a go.. learn a bit , have some fun with it and if you arnt happy .. up-grade . At least you wont be outta pocket if you sell it off for around what you pay for it.
Just make sure the boiler works before you pay up ..( ask seller to fire it up before you get there so you can see.) An honest bloke wont have a prob.
I've never had a reflux still before I built my own .. few burnt fingers.. few mods, I'm still plugging away at it BUT have made some pretty good keep the wife happy juice! Experience ! you just cant put a price on it !
Cheers Mate.
Wraith71

Location: West of Sydney , East of Katoomba .. Hopin a big friggin dam dont break.
equipment: Boka reflux tall tower , home made full copper pot still (gas powered).. FINALLY 80ltr boiler 6000w with 6 plate 4in bubbler :)

Postby Rolls912 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:28 pm

The T5 pot still works well. The new vapour basket is excellent. I agree -it’s overpirced. But, it’s easy to use and I too don’t have time to build one.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Postby Professor Green » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:57 am

Rolls912 wrote:The T5 pot still works well.

Really? Have they changed the design? I found it could barely knock the vapour down.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Otago Elvis » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:15 pm

:text-+1:

In my opinion, the Still Spirits pot still is a toy. An expensive toy.

There are much better, cheaper, options available.
Otago Elvis

equipment: Potstill

Previous

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products