Pure distilling ultra pure thingy that makes things pure

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: Pure distilling ultra pure thingy that makes things pure

Postby skurvy84 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:14 am

Oh ok, that makes sense, ive got enough for a few weeks now anyway so I'll age what i have left for alsong as i can leave it.

Fermenting a FFV currently and since im on nightshift should clear up pretty nicely by the time i get around to running it.

Heading to perth in December so I'll pick up a demi john and a few items on the way back home to really get into the stripping/spirit routine.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby skurvy84 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 am

Picked up two kegs from the scrap yard here in town, apparently he can't get rid of them, 3 pallets stacked two kegs high. No one in towns interested in them, not even the kiwis. He wanted $50 each but seemed pretty happy with $50 for two. Start collecting bits and bobs for my boiler now than onto the modular pot.

Have asked in another thread but will ask the same here, will my still spirits super reflux detuned into a potstill be effective enough for me to experiment and enjoy the flavoured washes like nutrigrain, macrum and CFW?.
skurvy84

equipment: Basic still spirits super reflux junker detuned, Pure Distilling Ultra reflux, keg boiler and pot still in the build process

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:48 am

Are they the ones with names on them had the same thing in Brisbane ones found in skip bins and the owner of the kegs wanted returned for free.
wynnum1

Postby skurvy84 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:50 am

Yeah they do have names on them, however he happily issues a receipt, with the description of the keg and i think some kind of keg number. Im not to concerned giving the town i live in, and I've been watching 6 kegs sit in the one place for 2 years behind the museum, next to the highway.
skurvy84

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 am

Do not think they can legally sell but does show that you did not go and steal but do not put a photo on Internet showing brand .
wynnum1

Postby P3T3rPan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:30 pm

skurvy84 wrote: No one in towns interested in them, not even the kiwis.

Steady cobber. :D :laughing-rolling:
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby skurvy84 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:
skurvy84 wrote: No one in towns interested in them, not even the kiwis.

Steady cobber. :D :laughing-rolling:

Haha no offence intended at all. There is a massive community here, always involved in stuff, having community days etc. I figured they would be making hangis etc.

I plan on it, once i built my boiler of course.
skurvy84

Postby skurvy84 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:57 pm

2 inch end caps and tri clamps came the other day. Looking forward to stripping runs of either ffv or tpw with the detuned super reflux and spirit runs with the pure distilling rig. Have had to put keg boiler plans on hold for alittle while so now i can use the two 50ltr kegs for low wines storage one for cfw and one for ffv or tpw im think ffv.
skurvy84

Postby skurvy84 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:30 am

Does anyone know what kind of adaptor i could possibly use to fit my pure distilling rig to my keg boiler im building? "Unwanted advertiser" seems to offer a 2"TC x 2" BSP female thread adaptor which might do the trick but i was also wonder if the t500 adaptor that 5star sell might do the same trick just using the end peice.
skurvy84

Postby woodduck » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:59 am

I'd give 5 star a call and see what they have, I'm sure Mac will have something there. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby skurvy84 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:04 pm

Have tried a couple of times to email and via the website
Tried to call sue a week or so ago but no avail.
skurvy84

Postby Dig Brinker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:42 pm

Isn’t it just called the T-500 adapter or keg adapter? Order, it will arrive.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:12 pm

Yeah it is called something like that but i believe its to suit a t500 not the pure distilling unit.

Sorted 2x 2200watt elements when i was in perth and a nice holesaw to make things easy.

In regards to my current boiler though, im on my 4th or 5th cfw stripping run now and earlier when i took it apart i saw that the element is actually only 1380watt. So little bit slow for stripping runs and had i know i would have picked up a new one but if i need to run slow on my spirit run anyway should that wattage be almost on the money? Times free so im not worried about heat up time.
Last edited by skurvy84 on Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skurvy84

Postby RC Al » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Grab yourself a voltage controller mate and then you can dial it to wherever you need to, to suit different abv/types of washes
It will be of use on a new boiler too
Last edited by RC Al on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby skurvy84 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Yeah thats the plan eventually, i know when i buy the 4" modular pot from fsd that i wont need 4400w for spirit runs and even then the 2200w will be abit to much and since ive read people (unless im mistaken or misread something) that some people have run elements to around the 1400-1600w for slow spirit runs anyway and since its 1380w it can get me buy just albeit slowly.

Thanks for the input and any recommendations? I know the "unnamed advertiser" has them and people have good reviews about them but i have seen people go the $30 fleabay ones with chinese writing on them that require a adapter to fit aus spec 240v outlets but i like having a house over my childs head and not charred remains.
skurvy84

Postby warramungas » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:19 am

skurvy84 wrote:Picked up two kegs from the scrap yard here in town, apparently he can't get rid of them, 3 pallets stacked two kegs high. No one in towns interested in them, not even the kiwis. He wanted $50 each but seemed pretty happy with $50 for two. Start collecting bits and bobs for my boiler now than onto the modular pot.

Have asked in another thread but will ask the same here, will my still spirits super reflux detuned into a potstill be effective enough for me to experiment and enjoy the flavoured washes like nutrigrain, macrum and CFW?.

$50 for two? What scrappies would that be??
Never have enough for storage.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby skurvy84 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:24 am

How did i not see your post warra?
If your in kal, it was minesite recycling im pretty sure in boulder on oroya street. They've still got heaps of them easily 2 or 3 pallets full last time i drive past after going to the brewery.

So i had a sparky friend make a little power controller, he went over board and its got a cooling fan and rated to 4000w but its missing a meter to tell me what power its running, i think i worked around that with a simple Arlec power meter (the kind that plugs into the wall than you plug whatever device into the front of it and it disolays the amps, volts, watts etc and can give cost on run time if you bother to figure it out) its overkill but will never see 4000w given that once i get the keg boiler going its only going to have a 2200 element to control but its safe and over rated for its application which suits me.

Stripped 3 ffv's on the detuned super reflux and ran them last night on the pure distilling unit. That was my first mistake started at 530pm and didnt finish till 4am oh well. So my 3 stripped washes went in @35% all up once watered down and total volume in the boiler was 23ish litres. Waited for it to come up to temp then started fiddling with the power controller. I did have my first drop of fores come through when the thermocouple read 55 and it slowly built up more to 2-3 drops a second I wanted to try and sit the rising vapour temp as close as i could to around 72-73 degrees c in an effort to compress fores and heads and i think it worked very well i took 3x200ml of fores and boy are they some nasty stuff i haven't smelt anything like that before.

I decided that this seemed to have worked pretty well and i tried to let the temp sit right there for pretty much the entire run, but it wanted to sit comfortably at 76-79 with the 5 -6 drops every second. I did ignore the instructions at this point because it says to open the take off valve to "fast mode", but each previous run when ive following them the temp jumps way up to 85 and stays there, raise 2 degrees and then your meant to close it back to "slow mode" and keep collecting. So instead of opening the valve i left the valve approx 3rd closed the entire time collecting a very fine toothpick like stream until i noticed significant change in flavour and than opened it to fast, which gave me a stream of tails for a few minutes and the temp eventually climbed to 85.5 degrees and i started to notice tails coming stronger and called it quits.

i collect cuts in 200ml jars and all up i collected 18 cuts jars all which smell like nothing with the exception of the first one and last 2 which are a little funky.

Now heres where i feel like some things amiss, im very happy with the compression of fores/heads, but using some of the calcs available i apparently should have been able to collect 7ltrs at 95% abv from that boiler charge, i only collected 600ml fores/heads and 3litres of "hearts" ( well ill call it hearts its the cleanest most neutral thing ive ever made) at @92% and didnt collect tails as i wanted to go to bed.
When i cleaned up this morning and after the boiler had cooled i chucked the alcometer in and it did read approx 7% but it smelt rank and was maybe about 18-19 litres of backset left.

Have i got a calculation wrong, did i cut my run to quickly or have missed something entirely? I expected to get alot more honestly, considering on a normal ffv i would collect 2.3ish litres all up but with 1 litre considered hearts..... as i type this it doesnt seem that bad actually and i have collected 3 litres of the cleanest 92% ive ever made in a bathroom.

So peoples opinions and criticisms please, does this seem correct, should i try something else, is my thermocouple up the shit?, i missed a step? Have you had something similar happen, what would you expect from 3 stripped ffvs and a slow spirit run through a reflux?
skurvy84

Postby Dig Brinker » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:07 am

Sounds like you’re running too fast. Slow down the collection rate and abv should stay steady for longer.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby skurvy84 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks Dig.

Okay as so run even alower, got it. I guess ill run my spirit run of cfw low wines even slower than.
skurvy84

Postby warramungas » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:04 am

Too late now. I've moved back to Perth and the bi monthly trip to Kal is no more. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Previous

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products