Gday - Can I use still spirits Air still with carbon filter

Say Hi and introduce yourself

Gday - Can I use still spirits Air still with carbon filter

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:52 pm

Hey
I was curious I found out the still spirits has a carbon filter holder can I just run the alcohol through distiller and not needing to use the ez filter or is it required to filter the alcohol again
Last edited by Sam. on Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coolabah

equipment: Nothing useful

Re: Can I use the still spirits Air still with carbon filter

Postby coffe addict » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

What are you trying to make? If it's neutral then an air still isn't a great choice but if you run it two or three times then filter it you should end up with something drinkable.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Re: Gday - Can I use still spirits Air still with carbon fil

Postby Sam. » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:26 am

Moved your post here as it’s your first.

If you run a clean wash and do cuts you should not need to filter :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Coolabah » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Atm using tomato paste wash and was going to use just Jack's and wild turkey essence
Coolabah

equipment: Nothing useful

Postby PeterC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi, If you are going to filter then dilute to 40% first. This makes what you are wanting to remove more likely to absorb onto the carbon. After that you can add your essences. I foolishly tried to filter high abv spirits and the carbon did nothing.
P.S. I have used Still Spirits Classic Tennessee bourbon in the pouches and it is OK. I have also used just wood chips and found that fairly drinkable but I go to 65% abv for that.
Cheers.
Peter C.
Last edited by PeterC on Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby woodduck » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:34 pm

I haven't filtered anything since moving away from turbos and started doing cuts. If your looking for an absolutely clean sipping vodka you could filter just to refine it but if your using essences I wouldn't bother. The plastic in the filter will probably do more harm than anything a well cut spirit will :handgestures-thumbupleft: If your using an air still it is more of a pot still than a reflux so I would go for a cfw, wbab or a ngw wash and if there is flavor left in the spirit it will be a nice corny/wheaty flavour like a whiskey.

Hi by the way :greetings-waveyellow:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:09 pm

Welcome to AD Coolabah.

:text-+1: on using one of the cereal based washes in your air still. You'll end up with a nice grain flavoured spirit as woodduck mentioned and if you get your cuts right, without the need for any filtering.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Welcome Centre