Turbo Clear for wash

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Turbo Clear for wash

Postby crikko » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi all,
Quick question, I forgot to do the turbo clear last night, so did it this morning about 7am. Will 12 hours be enough before I run it? or will I need to wait for another day?

-Chris
crikko

equipment: Turbo 500 s/s

Re: Turbo Clear for wash

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Hey mate,have used that when I started out,had one or two that did clear out befor 24hrs,a general rule is clearer the better for neutral,and ifn that means a day or two more then that is the smart choice,running early and mucky wash makes it hard for ya still to do its job and quality will fall,even if ya run it slower to compensate.Also mucks up ya packing resulting in a longer clean up after the run.I do not use it anymore and save $ every brew,and have learnt that patience is better road ta great spirit.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby crikko » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:59 pm

Cheers mate!

That's what I thought, I have a TPW I put on last Friday that I think is ready anyways, so might use 5-10l of that as my testing run for the first time I use the still. Or just siphon a few litres off the top of the turbo.

-Chris
crikko

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:26 pm

The turbo I would use all of for a cleaning and sac testing run,that way you will know how she runs with a full proper load,temps boil time etc,and keep whats collected separate so you can compare to the TPW.Let the TPW clear well and run that slow after rinseing the colomn from the turbo wash,and compare the two side by each.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby crikko » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:05 pm

hillzabilly wrote:The turbo I would use all of for a cleaning and sac testing run,that way you will know how she runs with a full proper load,temps boil time etc,and keep whats collected separate so you can compare to the TPW.Let the TPW clear well and run that slow after rinseing the colomn from the turbo wash,and compare the two side by each.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks Hillzabilly. I think I'll be right, I've done a run on my mates T500, so have some idea of where I'm going (but not yet where I'm going to go wrong).

Thanks again for the tips, so much knowledge in these parts.
crikko

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:15 pm

No worries,I also donot recommend drinking spirit from cleaning runs,just to be safe.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby crikko » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:26 pm

hillzabilly wrote:No worries,I also donot recommend drinking spirit from cleaning runs,just to be safe.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

That was another reason i only wanted to use 5l to start!!
crikko

Postby crikko » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Hoping someones lurking. Not sure what to do. Waters coming out through the temp probe hole and i cand find anything about what to do! Can i just put some silicone or something on it?
crikko

Postby bluc » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Think I have heard this before on here and resulted in getting a new still :think: :handgestures-thumbdown: will wait for someone else to chime in but sounds very wrong to me..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Water or spirit?
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Hairyleg » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:15 pm

crikko wrote:Hoping someones lurking. Not sure what to do. Waters coming out through the temp probe hole and i cand find anything about what to do! Can i just put some silicone or something on it?

Turn down the flow rate, or unblock your water output hose.
Hairyleg

equipment: T500 still

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:38 am

I wrapped my probe in some plumbing tape then shoved it in :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby crikko » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks again everyone. I think i had a bit of information overload last night. I gave up and went to bed early.

Got up this morning and took a look at it again, i had the water flowing through it way to fast (also why it wouldnt get up to temp). Dialled it back and the 5l wash is almost at the end.

Taking around 150ml cuts, i cant believe the difference in smell. First pot after the bad stuff is nasty, 3rd smells brilliant
crikko

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 pm

Just remember it is a CM coolant management still,so you must learn ta control output speed by adjusting water flow,and temp on coolant may be misleading .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

Postby Woods314 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:45 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Hey mate,have used that when I started out,had one or two that did clear out befor 24hrs,a general rule is clearer the better for neutral,and ifn that means a day or two more then that is the smart choice,running early and mucky wash makes it hard for ya still to do its job and quality will fall,even if ya run it slower to compensate.Also mucks up ya packing resulting in a longer clean up after the run.I do not use it anymore and save $ every brew,and have learnt that patience is better road ta great spirit.cheers hillzabilly ;-)

Just wondering hillzabilly, how does a mucky wash affect your still when the mucky bits are solids and would ( as far as I can work out ) never end up in the vapour? I have run cloudy washes and relatively clear washes and didn’t notice a difference, but having said that, I wasn’t really looking for a difference.
Woods314

equipment: T500 and pot still attachment.

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Lots washs you get away with some sediment yeast etc in boiler but not neutral. Cleaner the wash the better. Alcohol is a strong solvent and a small amout of flavoured material goes a suprisingly long way..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Woods314 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:21 pm

bluc wrote:Lots washs you get away with some sediment yeast etc in boiler but not neutral. Cleaner the wash the better. Alcohol is a strong solvent and a small amout of flavoured material goes a suprisingly long way..

I don’t want to get into an argument here, but if the alcohol is a strong solvent, how is the settling of sediment going to take the flavoured material out being dissolved in the alcohol?
Woods314

Postby Woods314 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:28 pm

I’ve got a background in chemistry and after thinking more about it, I have realised this fermenting shit is extremely complicated and way above my knowledge, and the experience of people on this forum is the best way to go!
Woods314

Postby bluc » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Try it and see then let us know..the fact its boiled and re condensed means nothing. Look at rum and whiskey its distilled snd retains plenty of flavour..solids in a wash when boiled creates a flavour and a little amount of solids in a neutral will produce a flavoured rather than a neutral spirit...
Last edited by bluc on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Woods314 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 pm

I doubt very much it is the solids, rather the other substances that accompany the solids.
Woods314

Next

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products