Fired Up The T500 For The First Time.

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: Fired Up The T500 For The First Time.

Postby audistiller » Sat May 05, 2012 3:07 am

I gather you meant pull the older condenser apart, I wasn't planning on it, but I cant see why not, that is unless they ask for the faulty one to be returned. I wonder if there is anything I can do with the faulty one, modify it somehow, make it bigger and better maybe...?
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby QLD.Andy » Sat May 05, 2012 11:29 pm

They will want the old leaky one back before a replacement is forwarded
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby audistiller » Sat May 05, 2012 11:45 pm

QLD.Andy wrote:They will want the old leaky one back before a replacement is forwarded

They haven't asked for it Andy, I was told it would be sent yesterday, and to expect it early next week, nothing was mentioned about sending this one back, though I would of expected it.
audistiller

Postby audistiller » Wed May 09, 2012 4:22 pm

Just received the replacement condenser in the post today, and nothing mentioned about sending the other one back. They only sent the condenser, a new pack of copper saddles, and a new lower thermometer nothing else, but I don't need anything else anyway. I have to say I am overall rather happy with response from the supplier and also the place I purchased the T500, so all in all as long as this one doesn't leak, I am pretty happy with the outcome and response time by all concerned.

Regards
audistiller

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 09, 2012 4:31 pm

Well done Aud, I'm glad it all worked out for ya :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby audistiller » Wed May 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Thanks Kimbo, now to decide what to put down for my next wash. I have a packet of the VodkaStar yeast to try next, just got to decide whether to use Dextrose or White Sugar, I have about 20 kilos of Dextrose, and 12 kilos of White Sugar, so that's not an issue. I'm getting some different yeast from QLD to try hopefully next week, so I might leave the Sugar to use with that.

Regards
audistiller

Postby audistiller » Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 pm

Just thought I would share this innovative solution I discovered to a problem where the hoses on the T500 rest against the hot boiler while the Still is running. I have been looking around for a simple solution that is easy and also looks the part. So while I was looking around the local Kitchen Shop, I saw something that immediately caught my eye. Its a teabag squeezer, and all I did was bent the ends out, feed it through the clips on the boiler, and clip it down with the lid, it works a treat, keeps the hoses away from the hot boiler and looks the part I reckon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
audistiller

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:38 pm

Hey there

Just used my t500 for the first time too. How long did your cook take. Kept my temp around 57 and 3 hrs after the boil I was done.
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:40 pm

audistiller wrote:Just thought I would share this innovative solution I discovered to a problem where the hoses on the T500 rest against the hot boiler while the Still is running. I have been looking around for a simple solution that is easy and also looks the part. So while I was looking around the local Kitchen Shop, I saw something that immediately caught my eye. Its a teabag squeezer, and all I did was bent the ends out, feed it through the clips on the boiler, and clip it down with the lid, it works a treat, keeps the hoses away from the hot boiler and looks the part I reckon.

genius at play :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby audistiller » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:17 pm

stubbydrainer wrote:genius at play :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah I can be a bit of a genius, but dont tell anyone I told you that. :D

Popcorn Jack wrote:Hey there
Just used my t500 for the first time too. How long did your cook take. Kept my temp around 57 and 3 hrs after the boil I was done.

I kept the temperatures close to 78 degrees on the top, and 60 degrees on the bottom, but I did try not to let the lower temperature go above 60 degrees. I actually alternated the lower temperature between 58 and 60 degrees for a while. I gather since its been a while since you started, you know you only have to adjust the water flow a very small amount to see an immediate temperature change.

I think mine took around the same time from switch on to switch off.
audistiller

Postby NT CICHLIDS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:29 pm

Hi, found this very interesting as I am thinking of a T500 as my first still, have you had any more problems?
NT CICHLIDS

equipment: None yet but looking at a T500, maybe?

Postby crow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm

yeah mate read through this very thread and you will see this poster had his still start leaking, a very common unresolved fault with these.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby NT CICHLIDS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks Crow, I did read that but was asking if he had any more problems after replacing the condencer. I see there are some for the T500 and those against. I am looking for an easy to use basic type still, as I don't know anyone who makes them pr have the know how myself a comercial manfactured one is my only option, trying to find the best option
NT CICHLIDS

equipment: None yet but looking at a T500, maybe?

Postby JayD » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm

NT CICHLIDS wrote:Thanks Crow, I did read that but was asking if he had any more problems after replacing the condencer. I see there are some for the T500 and those against. I am looking for an easy to use basic type still, as I don't know anyone who makes them pr have the know how myself a comercial manfactured one is my only option, trying to find the best option

check out our comunity warehouse... Aussie Distiller Community Distillers Co-Op
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby blond.chap » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:39 pm

NT CICHLIDS wrote:Thanks Crow, I did read that but was asking if he had any more problems after replacing the condencer. I see there are some for the T500 and those against. I am looking for an easy to use basic type still, as I don't know anyone who makes them pr have the know how myself a comercial manfactured one is my only option, trying to find the best option

Hi mate,

I assume because you're looking at the T500s that you're looking at making neutral then flavouring, (if you want to make whisky, rum, brandy etc you'll need a pot still). The "pure distilling" still is another one that gets talked about favourably (no commercial interest from me).

Definitely take a look at what McStill and WineGlass have to offer first though, it'll be prettier, better value and just cooler all round.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:47 pm

its not that I'm "against" them its just companies like this shit me. They know about a quality problem but do nothing to rectify it just fix the ones that fuck up under warranty. Some of the leaks ppl have had involve ethanol leaking, as you could imagine this would be significantly more hazardous than some scolding from hot water and steam . I think some of the older ones built before the manufacturing moved to china are a bit better. they are fucking dear and problematic, not all but way to many, they have synthetic parts that can be adversely affected by heat and make no attempt to put copper in the vapour path to remove sulphides. Come to think of it fuck it I am against them :D
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby _TK_ » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:44 am

My Still Spirits Copper condenser started to leack during first run :angry-banghead:
_TK_

equipment: bottle of rum and shot glass

Postby chewy » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:29 pm

The leak seems a bit concerning. I just purchased a t500 myself and haven't had a problem yet.. Does it look like a split weld?
chewy

Postby vqstatesman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:14 pm

Another leaky condenser here too :(

Been using it for 4 months, probably done more than 10 runs. I was cleaning it after my last run and noticed water leaking out of the top of the column, Bugger!

I purchased it new off ebay but am unsure if I'm covered by warranty. I have contacted the seller and am waiting to hear back...

Any suggestions how I can get it replaced?
vqstatesman

equipment: 4" Bubbler
150L Pressurised Bain Marie with built in agitator
50L Milk Can Boiler for small runs (feints)
T500 boiler repurposed as oversized decanter
Grainfather in the corner collecting dust

Postby Parksy » Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:20 am

20220827_100322.jpg

I'm hoping that I've a solution to the leaking problem. I machined a new copper top cap that will hold the o rings a lot better. I haven't tested it yet but I'm confident that it'll work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Parksy on Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parksy

PreviousNext

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products