Fired Up The T500 For The First Time.

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:23 pm

Well, my first ever run of spirits and I have to say it went really well, I am very happy. I fired up the brand new T500 last night for the first time, and ran my first ever wash. Not really knowing what to expect, I ended up with just over 3.5 litres of clean spirit. I thought being my first ever run, I wouldn't reach a very high quality product, but I was amazed to get a reading of 95% on the aclometer after running it through the T500. I used 6.5 kilos of Dextrose, and 1 cup of White Sugar, using the Turbo Triple Distilled yeast, which took 8 days. Instead of the suggested first 50ml, I took out the first 100ml of foreshots and have saved it in a separate bottle.

I was also pretty happy after watering it down, I got an exact reading of 40% on the aclometer first time without fucking around. I then ran it all through the EZ Filter Carbon filter. After filtering, I filled 1x 1125ml bottle of 40% and have left it soaking with 14grams of Jack Daniels Oak Chips. I then filled another 1125ml bottle of 40% spirit, and 14grams of Jack Daniels Oak Chips, but with this one I added half a bottle of Gold Medal Bodines Bourbon (Sour Mash) essence. For the third bottle, I added Samuel Willards Irish Cream for a nice Baileys flavour, then I added 500ml of 40% spirit, and topped up to 1125ml with water.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Re: Fired Up The T500 For The First Time.

Postby Kimbo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:57 pm

well done Aud,
glad it went well for ya mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:01 am

Thanks Kimbo,
I know I have a long way to go yet, but I am just very happy everything went without any drama. I was a bit worried to start with, hoping nothing went wrong with the T500 and something shit itself or exploded, but the longer it was boiling away, I started to settle and relax a bit, enjoying the process. I managed to keep the lower temperature between 58 and 62 degrees, but for most of the time it was sitting pretty much spot on 60 degrees. Its bloody amazing how such a very slight turn on the water inlet valve, can have such a pretty much instant response to the temperature, and the flow of spirit coming out of the T500.

I have another 25L that should be finished fermenting today, so I will just have enough time to clean everything properly and get setup for my second run. This one I used 6 kilos of White Sugar, and the same Turbo Triple Distilled yeast, so I'm thinking maybe it will be slightly different. I have some of the Alcotec Vodkastar yeast to try for my third run, so I'm looking forward to that one too. After that I will probably give the TPW a go, and then most likely grab some yeast from 5Star for yet another run.

Thanks to those of you who have provided me with help so far...appreciate it.

Regards
audistiller

Postby R-sole » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:13 am

You should save a bottle of that stuff. Then research making cuts here and practice that on your next run.

Compare.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:27 am

+1 on cuts. As a newbie myself I cannot recommend splitting every 200mls. I have a shitload of tiny jars I've been saving and the difference between say jar #2 of 200mls (pretty much heads still, going back in the feints bottle for the next run) and jar number #9 is really noticeable.

Do loads of cuts and number a paper towel and put it on the jar with a rubber band. Then when you hit tails you can tell it by smell and number and turf it in the feints for next run.

I kept waaaayyy too much of my first run - being greedy I guess. Since then I'm brutal on small cuts and re-running the top and bottom of what I collect.

The only difference I can tell with a TPW and the turbo yeast is the massive price difference and a lower yield on the TPW.

I'm still tweaking and learning but the TPW gives me about 800mls - 1L less final product but it's primo product and I can do a whole 25L of TPW for what just one pack of yeast from the HBS costs me.

So game over on spending big on just the yeast, I come out ahead even if I only get 2.5L instead of 3.5L.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:00 pm

Well, my second run is coming out the still at this very minute. This one was using the same Turbo Triple Distilled yeast, but I used White Sugar instead of Dextrose. I must say this run tastes bloody awesome. Sweet, seems to be a bit cleaner tasting, just different all round than the first run. The only other I did differently, is I left this one to clear for about 4 days, I don't know if that makes any difference.

The same as my first run, I discarded the first 100ml of Foreshots, then I took the next 1 litre and bottled it separately. I then took the next 1 litre and bottled that separately also. After that, I am taking 500ml at a time and separating it, I will then taste the difference and so I can start getting a idea about taking proper cuts. I realise the 1 litre bottles are pretty big, but its something that I wanted to try, and I don't have a heap of 400ml jars.

So all in all, I am pretty bloody happy with my second run, like anything else, there's nothing like hands on experience, with all the reading I have done, putting it into practice is becoming rather fun. Thanks again to those friendly people that have helped me to this point. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Regards
audistiller

Postby QLD.Andy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:10 pm

Sounds like your having fun mate.
With all the learnin and readin dont forget the fun part of the hobby, its the most important.
After a couple of years of using turbo's I am about to embark on a new direction with my first molasses wash :dance: :dance:
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby audistiller » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:28 pm

Hi Andy,

Yes I hope this hobby with stay with me for quite some time. Like I said when I joined this site, I'm sure I will spread out into the more technical side, and most likely build some of my own equipment. Since I am a welder, and absolutely love building things, I wont have much trouble putting something together, its just getting hold of what I need is the costly part. I know I may have only just scratched the surface, and there is so much more to learn. I live in a small town in the Northwest (Exmouth) but I am currently in Perth for a few weeks after having a small operation, so I am going to have to buy shit in bulk before going home, because there is very limited resources there, and the nearest major town is 400kms away. I am not looking forward to travelling home with 100 kilos of sugar in the boot, I am better off taking bulk sugar home with me though, freight on that much will be way too much.

Regards
audistiller

Postby QLD.Andy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:41 pm

I know a lot of folk will put down the T500 but it has potential.
Dont be in a rush to push it aside as it will teach you a lot
I think (and friends tell me) that I am producing some nice hooch these days.
I found that taking records of what I did and marking bottles helped me in the beginning and will again with my new "trials"
Dont be in a rush, take your time and, again, have fun.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 am

Thanks Andy,
I started taking notes from day one in notepad as soon as I started filling the first fermenter. And then kept updating everyday whenever I did something, or noticed something happening, no matter what time of the night it was.

My T500 started leaking at the top tonight like others have reported, its only my second run, so I am not really happy about that. I have kept the temperature at the top of the column within specs, so I don't believe its been overheated, and it hasn't been dropped or knocked against anything.

I cant really believe the difference in taste of this run, it must be the White Sugar I used instead of Dextrose this time.

Regards
audistiller

Postby crow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:57 am

the taste is it better or worse
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:04 am

croweater wrote:the taste is it better or worse

Far better, tastes sweeter but without that sugary sweet taste, just seems to be a much better tasting spirit all round, and all I can think of is because I used White Sugar instead of Dextrose. I just cant believe the difference, obviously not complaining, just amazed at the difference. :D
audistiller

Postby crow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:19 am

yeah I used raw sugar and brown sugar and the brow sugar had the most amazing yield like double the white and the taste was unbelievable considering it was straight out the still I did smooth it with small cap of maple syrup . Afterwards isaw that is a common way to smooth it but I got my idea from the side of a JD bottle :)) now I've put a little rum essence in to enhance the flavor and its very drinkable . In fact I real enjoy it and I simply wont drink rubbish
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:57 am

I have been thinking if it would make any difference in the final product to use a mix of different Sugars to total 6 kilos. Say 2 kilos of Dextrose, 2 kilos of White Sugar and 2 kilos of Brown Sugar. Or if you did a 7 or 8 kilo wash, a mix of these three Sugars, and add Brown Sugar or Raw Sugar. Now that I think about it, might have to give this a try, I guess that's part of the fun with this hobby, trying new things. I found some yeast from Sweden, specifically designed for 8 kilos of Sugar, might get my hands on some and have a crack at this.

Since you mentioned about the difference with Brown Sugar Crow, there could be potential for something a bit different. I would think someone would have tried it, but so far I haven't read anything about anyone doing it.

Regards
audistiller

Postby R-sole » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:27 pm

You may find the difference in flavour came from the fucking good cleaning your still got with it's first run :think: ;-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:50 pm

5Star wrote:You may find the difference in flavour came from the fucking good cleaning your still got with it's first run :think: ;-)

That thought did cross my mind.
audistiller

Postby audistiller » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Before I bought my T500, I saw the video that a woman did on Youtube, and its also on a few sites, I think she maybe from Brewcraft. When she was showing how to assemble the column, I noticed she didn't seem to use all the ceramic saddles. I was able to fill the column with all of the supplied saddles, except one that was joined to another, so I used all except two. I have been wondering how many people were able to fill their column with all the provided saddles.

I have thought about using less ceramic ones, and adding an extra pack of the copper saddles, I don't think I would try it, I am just curious about how effective it might be with a little more copper in there.
audistiller

Postby SBB » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:34 pm

if your trying to make a netural product I would steer clear of brown sugar.
Being a stainless still the T500 will benifit from any extra copper I would think.....throwing a hand full of copper off cuts into your boiler with the wash would be a good starting point.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby cdbrown » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Each type of sugar will ferment differently. Dextrose ferments out cleanly without leaving much sweetness. The white sugar won't ferment out as far leaving more sweetness.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby crow » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:31 pm

STARTED LEAKING :-o its brand spanking new isn't it fuck that I'd be on the vendors case
crow

Next

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products