Temp or ABV

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Temp or ABV

Postby Pisshead74 » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:51 pm

I have perused the forum verbatim and the knowledge ive gained in last month is fantastic

Love me drink , love it

Doctor said .. well let's not ..

Anyway so been running the old turbo 500 alembic still , yes I'm one of them ...

Obviously a Newby and been following the still spirits alembic still recommendations by the book making cuts but they give a temp and ABV gradient and at this stage following the temp gradient ..

I can def smell the heads are dogshit and get insta poured in feints jar

Running a temp controller so boil her up on 240 and soon as it hits 50c I switch on pump with a water tank with 50l of water and heaps of frozen ice thats about 7c when i start , no surging as yet as I wind temp controller back to 110v till it hits 83c, temp stays constant for ages and creeps up to 90c then I collect tails in seperate containers .

Anyway ranted enough at this stage I'm gonna persist with the turbo and see what I can screw out of it , I've ordered a parrot from 5 star so gonna make cuts based on those fractions instead of temp and see what sort of difference it makes , ABV vs temp ...

Rant over
Pisshead74

equipment: Turbo 5004

Re: Temp or ABV

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:59 pm

Just curious why do you want to persevere with the turbo??
Last edited by bluc on Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:59 am

Why not just trust your taste buds mate. Abv always gives me a clue as to where to start looking for cuts but nose and mouth are what I use to find them.
I would also recommend trying the wheat bix all bran wash, just once , it is far cheaper and nicer but you won’t know until you try it. Congrats on finding a cooling solution that only needs 50 litres of water
Just remember you are the only one that needs to be happy with what you do so the above are only suggestions:)
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RC Al » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:24 am

:text-+1: with Wellsy
Jars lots of jars
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859

Turbo is an overpriced shortcut originally designed for petrol
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Pisshead74 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:52 am

The turbo doesn't give an awful result ...
It's not fantastic either . Done a few grain mashes , the cfw and the rum recipe in tried and proven which are on oak at present so would like to see how they turn out in a few months before I make decision on whether it's justified upgrading or building something better.

I'm not noticing a huge difference in taste and smell between hearts and tails , heads definitely stand out though .

I guess I've answered my own question and maybe be it ABV or temp that's the best I can expect from turbo
Pisshead74

Postby The Stig » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:21 am

Pisshead74 wrote: I've ordered a parrot from 5 star

It will be in the post a little later today and will be with you shortly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Pisshead74 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:59 am

The Stig wrote:
Pisshead74 wrote: I've ordered a parrot from 5 star

It will be in the post a little later today and will be with you shortly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Legend cheers , send me a bit of info on Mac 4 SSG and 100l milk can boiler , I got a 40 amp breaker in meter box that feeds shed so power shouldn't be an issue .
Pisshead74

Postby The Stig » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:14 am

I’ll shoot you an email a little later
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:50 am

Hey pisshead i think I know where you are coming from as in the beginning I could not pick the tails. That was because I was looking for wet dog wet cardboard smell taste as everyone describes it. My missus could get it straight away but not me. I still can’t.
Forget everyone else’s description And find your own. For me it is more about like that jar don’t like that one ,there cuts are made lol. Tails taste dirty for me, there is just something there that is not clean and I really don’t want to drink it.

Sorry mate I am not good on description so that is the best I can do. Have good sized sample but don’t drink it, if you just can’t spit it out you know you are still in the hearts lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products