.? Turbo yeast

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

.? Turbo yeast

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:47 pm

What is turbo yeast? I see you all try different yeasts with different recipes.
Not that I'm anti HBS but I'm pro on saving a buck. Hence why I took up this hobby.

So I guess different yeast and sugars will give me different flavor washes but if I am using a T500 ( column reflux )
Won't I strip all flavors and make a neutral.

Sorry for the terminology and multi questions. Had a few

Hick,
PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Re: .? Turbo yeast

Postby grumpthehermit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:02 pm

Turbo yeasts are designed to make maximum alcohol % and are more inclined to give you an off flavour through your still.

Your T500 is designed to give you a netural spirit, the TPW ( tomato paste wash ) is a cheap alternative to Turbo yeats using ingredients that you will find at your local food supermarket that will make a nice clean netural.

If you look up the recipe for TPW you will see that it mentions only 5kg of sugar ( I use 6kg ) as opposed to 8kg that you would see on the instructions for a turbo yeast.

Turbo's can handle 8kgs of sugar because of the fertilisers and additives in the packet that effectively "push" the yeast to eat more sugar and in doing so the yeast are more likely to get stress and therefore ... Smell bad, and that smell tends to carry over into your final product.

I think I have explained it properly. If not someone will correct me.

:-D

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Popcorn Jack » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Thanks mate

Really appreciate your help/ info.

I am really enjoying this forum

Cheers again
PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby law-of-ohms » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 pm

Turbo yeasts have there place, I'm not against them. I used an alcotec 48 recently for a "stuck" wash. but was in 180L not 25L so didn't notice much off flavours.
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products