Which Boiler Should I buy?

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Which Boiler Should I buy?

Postby brendan1952 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:18 pm

Hi All,

I am starting to look at gear for a still, as a first step I need to get a boiler (to boil the water I use for making my cider - Sydney water is putting more and more chemicals into the tap water and boiling it in my 10lt stockpot is getting tedious) I will then use the boiler as part of my still until I can locate a suitable large SS vessel/drum/keg.

My local HBS has two, the T500 from NZ with I think a 45mm hole at the top and a very similar one marked as Australian that has a 60mm hole, is one size better than the other? I am thinking of getting a pot still condenser made first.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards

Brendan
brendan1952

equipment: Have not purchased one yet.

Re: Which Boiler Should I buy?

Postby mullamulla » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:38 pm

I'm a big fan of the ole 50L beer keg boiler, 5Star on here sells elements and couplings etc.

His new big custom 130L stainless jobbies are somewhat semen inducing though :oops:
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby The Stig » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:10 pm

brendan1952 wrote:My local HBS has two, the T500 from NZ with I think a 45mm hole at the top and a very similar one marked as Australian that has a 60mm hole, is one size better than the other? I am thinking of getting a pot still condenser made first.

They are both made in China, probably in the same factory.
he t500 made to SS spec and the 60mm to Pure Distilling spec
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby crow » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 am

Hold off and look around before committing to this sort of still you might find there is much much better for much much less
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby R-sole » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:09 am

I'd be looking for a beer keg boiler myself. Get a cheap keg, get a drain welded on the bottom and a couple of triclamps for elements or even a couple of 1" nipples if you didn't want the elegant solution.

Find a nice little engineering shop that will do it for a carton for you. Easier if you've already drilled the holes.

kegboiler1.jpg

This is the perfect set up. Add a 1" socket to the top of the keg for a refil port and that's as good as it gets.

Then either a homemade or purchased still with good capacity (not from the brew shop) will clip straight to the 2" neck of the keg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Twisted » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:05 pm

How do you get in to clean the keg after a run?
Twisted

equipment: My penis is inverted and I am a childish little girl

Postby Frank » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:38 pm

+1 what 5Star said (even if you 'just' get a good original condition, 50l stainless keg)

from there....the options are almost endless :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Frank

Postby SBB » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:51 pm

Twisted wrote:How do you get in to clean the keg after a run?

You should only need to give it a good flush out or a squirt with a hose or domestic size gurney to keep it clean.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby R-sole » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:22 am

Yes, it only needs a rinse with a hose. Worse comes to worse and you want to clean it one year, fill with PBW or napisan/oxyclean/sodium percabonate and soak overnight.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products