Flavour Comparison of Different Brands

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Flavour Comparison of Different Brands

Postby Frank » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:22 pm

As there is a bit of competition in the companies that are selling spirit and liqueur flavours, has anyone tried 'similar' flavours across different brands. If so, what's the verdict please??
I'll start with my Whiskey journey thus far....in my opinion the Green's Creek Whisky from Edwards makes my favourite whiskey so far :) (a bit of vanilla, a bit of smoke, oaky and with lot of dry character, like a highland single malt). I've tried SS top shelf smokey malt (too much smoke, not enough anything else), SS top shelf Scotch (too generic tasting, like cheap scotch), SS Reserve Classic (bit too fruity for me, otherwise ok) and Edwards Single Malt (no doubt a very fine drop too but I reckon its too much like vanilla/sweet).
Frank

Re: Flavour Comparison of Different Brands

Postby QLD.Andy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:13 pm

I have tried the Still Spirits Jamaican Rum and Spirits Unlimited Jamaican Rum.
Still Spirits wins hands down, the SU version tasted like the wash needed filtering, a kind of dirty flavour.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby reknaw » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:21 pm

A fair while back I tried the spirits unlimited premium whiskey and it wasn't to bad. Have'nt had a lot of experience with them though.

A fella I work with I sold a still to has been going crazy buying and trying essences, I have told him to join the board and post his thoughts on all the stuff he has been trying. Should see him here in the next few days.
reknaw

Postby Manback » Thu May 05, 2011 5:28 pm

Would love to see some opinions on Gins?
Manback

Postby maheel » Thu May 05, 2011 9:39 pm

Manback wrote:Would love to see some opinions on Gins?

DIY it (golden gin)

gin-experiments-t90.html

this stuff is yummy :P
maheel

Postby MacStill » Fri May 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Spud1700 wrote:A fair while back I tried the spirits unlimited premium whiskey and it wasn't to bad. Have'nt had a lot of experience with them though.

A fella I work with I sold a still to has been going crazy buying and trying essences, I have told him to join the board and post his thoughts on all the stuff he has been trying. Should see him here in the next few days.

Has he made it here yet? would be good to get some feedback from the flavors he's been trying ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby reknaw » Fri May 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Yeah he's been here reading peoples posts, I spoke to him and he's had uni stuff and work on. I have asked him to post, he has been trying a LOT of essences and I have told him people would love the feedback. I'll send him a txt message now..........
reknaw

Postby Heffers » Sat May 07, 2011 4:42 pm

Frank wrote:....in my opinion the Green's Creek Whisky from Edwards makes my favourite whiskey so far :)

I think that I remember you saying that you enjoy Lagavulin, if you enjoy the edwards I think I might have to give it a go. Sounds like similar characteristics.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Lagavulin, (we need a drooling emoticon)

Cheers, Heffers
Heffers

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still for Stripping
2.5" Condensor Controlled - Neutral Producer
2.2kW 50L Keg

Postby Frank » Sat May 07, 2011 10:01 pm

Hey Heffers (nice gravatar BTW, another favourite of mine from the past.....) please understand I'm not at all saying that Greens creek =Lagavulin substitute....its just that, as a starting additive flavour for non-sweet whiskey (ie at least highlands if not Islay type), its a nice place to start especially with some StillSpirits smokey whiskey flavour or, perhaps, some Edwards smokey peat enhancer included. BTW, you need to start with a dry, ie non sweet, neutral and I reckon two weeks or perhps more in oak barrel chips is better than not too. Please keep in touch re your attempt to get to the 'MAGIC whiskey result'. It's the ultimate distiller's challenge, for sure (IMHO) ;)....oh and BTW McStill I agree this should now be back under 'Scotch Whiskey Talk' thread but WTF can I do?? :oops:
Frank

Postby Goldie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 pm

IMO
Best bourbon so far Essencia Tennessee essence, the Still Spirits classic essence has the flavour but is just too sweet.
Best Whiskey SS Classic, very easy to drink but very generic tasting
Best Tequila SS Top Shelf, only mix it with 2lts not 2.25 like the bottle says
Best Cointreau, Samuel Willards Pre-mix for the super lazy distiller

I make bundy rum for my family and they like the SS Classic Queensland rum essence

Have made Baileys, Sambucca, Midori, Blue Curacao, Galliano, Peach Schnapps, Creme de Menthe all using the Still Spirits essences and all have turned out great. I have stopped using the bases and just use sugar so I can make them not so sweet. I haven't tried any other brands for these as the SS ones tasted great. Probably wont be making more as I have just starting making my own cointreau with orange peels and think this is the way to go instead of the essences.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby grumpthehermit » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Frank wrote:.in my opinion the Green's Creek Whisky from Edwards makes my favourite whiskey so far :) (a bit of vanilla, a bit of smoke, oaky and with lot of dry character, like a highland single malt). I've tried SS top shelf smokey malt (too much smoke, not enough anything else), SS top shelf Scotch (too generic tasting, like cheap scotch), SS Reserve Classic (bit too fruity for me, otherwise ok) and Edwards Single Malt (no doubt a very fine drop too but I reckon its too much like vanilla/sweet).

Hey Frank,

Have you tried mixing/blending the two Edwards Whisky's together ??? ;-)

I made a bottle this week of 1/2 and 1/2 using the Edwards Greens Creek and the Edwards Single Malt essences.

I started drinking it the same day I made it up and I quite like it, I am going to do it again and leave some sit for a while see how it tastes over time. :-D

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby Frank » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:32 am

Hi GTH
I only mixed them in my stomach ;-) (I spent an afternoon with friends some months ago sampling the results of 5 different flavours, using the same base). Mate, great idea to try mix and match I reckon and, for sure, leave it as long as you can before drinking. The last whiskey essence I tried was a Willards Premium Whiskey and it was possibly the best of the lot, it certainly had peat-like bite and malty overtones. FYI, I now drink DWWG-based 'neutral', soaked on charred oak at around 65%ABV and then oak barrelled ....IMHO this is a MUCH better option though, of course, thats IMHO :laughing-rolling:
Frank

Postby grumpthehermit » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:43 pm

Hey Frank,

I am only playing with Edwards flavours for now as it seems most of the other brands contain Gluten / Wheat when it comes to Whiskey and I'm still sticking to my Gluten free diet at this point in time. :smile:

I also bought the Edwards - "Wee Dram" and the "Southern Indulgence" I am going to give them a taste test to see if they might me worth a play in my flavour blending experiments also, they are "whisky liquors" as such, not sure if anyone here has any experience with these two flavours.

I have some refluxed DWWG here now, but I'm not game to try it at this stage due to it being made on Wheat Germ. I am sticking to TPW's for now to play it safe.

;-)

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby griff4 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Still Spirits Classic have brought out a new whiskey recently called Premium single malt Whiskey. Now I'm not a Whiskey drinker but those that are, reckon that it's the best Whiskey essence that's ever been made. Has anyone tried it?
griff4

Postby wombat » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:05 am

Gday

Any one got a Idea of what would get close to Woodstock, its for the son in law.
Thanks in advance.

wombat
wombat

equipment: 25 ltr electric boiler plus a pure distill , 4'' 4 plate FSD with copper packed extension on 80 ltr Boiler with 2.4 / 3.6 electric elements

Postby Panda » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:54 pm

wombat wrote:Gday

Any one got a Idea of what would get close to Woodstock, its for the son in law.
Thanks in advance.

wombat

Terry o'briens gentleman James would be my best advice. Is sickly sweet like woodstock
Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby wombat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am

Thanks for that - have checked out some sites cant find any selling Terry o'briens gentleman James , could you point me in the right direction please.
Edit
Cheers wombat
wombat

equipment: 25 ltr electric boiler plus a pure distill , 4'' 4 plate FSD with copper packed extension on 80 ltr Boiler with 2.4 / 3.6 electric elements

Postby Panda » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:42 am

Panda

equipment: T500 & CM with pot head.

Postby Blueywa » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:37 pm

Edwards Single Malt essences was the first 'mass produced' that I tried, and IMO its as good if not better than some I paid a lot for in the past.
Blueywa

equipment: PURE 'Home Spirit Maker' + 30Ltr Beer Me Boiler.
Air Still + companion kit.
30 litre fermenter + other bits n pieces.

Postby Newtothisgame15 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:26 pm

I recommend to try doing whisky from scratch using a malted barley and after the wash n distilling it. Filter it and then stick 100gm of whisky chips into a drum n let it mature. Use mature oak n also peat smoke too depending on taste.

Also did a 48% abv Spiced rum using molasses n sugar wash with spices in the wash. Worked out awesome. Have had heaps of positive feedback about it. Does have a kick because of the chilli in it.
Newtothisgame15

equipment: Turbo 500 With Reflux Condenser

Next

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products