Flavour Comparison of Different Brands

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: Flavour Comparison of Different Brands

Postby WTDist » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:25 pm

When using a T500 it would be pointless using grains as it will strip nearly all the flavor. i agree with the mature oak and oaking on wood but i prefer stavs or dominoes to the chips. I used chips for over 50L but now hate it compared to the dominoes. If i were to recommend a essence it would be edwards essence scrub turkey and the single malt
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Atreu » Sun May 03, 2015 8:57 pm

Hey WTD, my favourite cordial has to be the Essencia Tennesee whiskey, with 10 days medium toasted American oak dominoes. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Essencia also make a damn fine Bacardi knock off (can'tremember the product name though.)

A brand I loathe is Prestige. Every single type of essence I have got of theirs, has ruined perfectly good ethanol. Every time I taste anything i have made using Prestige cordials, makes me feel like I've failed. I actually don't get how they are still in business, it's that bad. :handgestures-thumbdown: :puke-huge:

Another favourite of mine, is the Heritage brand, demarara golden cane rum - I haven't made any since I got dominoes, but even with hbs chips, it's pretty bloody good.
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby kevo356 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:27 am

Hey guys,
First post Woooo !!

I have been trying a few and the SS Aussie Gold Rum is a real hit with everyone, myself included.
Funny though as it is marketed as a bundaberg rum, it tasted nothing like the real stuff. I think its an improvement!

I will try all the essences in the list with my first TPWs i have goint at the moment!

I have seen a few people mix the bourbon mixes with honey too so i'm keen to give that a shot as well !
kevo356

equipment: Copper T500 Reflux

Postby Sam. » Tue May 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Hey kevo how about dropping into the welcome centre for a proper intro ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby scrub turkey » Mon May 25, 2015 1:03 pm

By accident i put about 5-6 mls of Edwards Scrub Turkey into a 40 oz of Tennessee chipped base but found it very enjoyable
scrub turkey

equipment: turbo 500 and alembic pot still

Similar to Glenmorangie?

Postby Kra$h » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:50 am

Ive got two of these 4.5 litre bottles,
697048499_o.jpg

and im clueless as to what base, and what essence i should use/ blend to fill them?

Im after a fruity, nutty, , smokey & thick , vanillarish single malt whisky / similar to Glenmorangie for one,
and a something else for the other.

I'll be starting with a neutral, so ide need to build it up entirely.
Recommendations anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kra$h

equipment: Keggomax CM Reflux Still - 5 stainless steel scrubbers - 1 copper scrubber up top.
30Litre - 2000 watt 'Turbo' Boiler
1000L/H Submersible Water Pump (Adjustable)
1000 litre tank for cooling

Using standard Birdwatchers TPW
1 x 25 litre batch
1 x 100 litre batch

Small batch for drinking, big batch (intending) to run a 1.5 cc lancer with a modified 32/36 weber carby.

Postby stenk » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:21 pm

I tried the SS Single Malt and I have to say it's pretty good with a dash of water! This is one I will continue to get.

The SS Spiced Rum is also a fav, but is pretty sweet.
stenk

equipment: Euro 5 Reflux Still

Postby WTDist » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:54 pm

Ive used Edwards essence single malt essence and sometimes added a small cap of peat smoke which is very strong so if you use it use sparingly.
Always age on oak too i think... essences are not enough on their own imo
Where is hell town?
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Cheersbigears » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:25 pm

G'Day All

Yes I like the Edwards single malt as well it's a little like Glenfiddich but sweeter.
The Essencia Walkers Whisky I reacon is a little better than the SS Scotch Whisky but almost the same that's if you're after the Johnny Rde flavor.

The SS Aussie Gold is a winner and always have a few of them on the shelf but I mix it with about 3.5 lt 40-45% as I find it too sweet at the 2.25lt. Rum shavings are from you know how will that is what they say I soak for at least a month but 2 and more are better.
The SS Aussie Red is far too sweet and same with the Marlin Coast Green and Blue. So may try again with chips but a cap full with the 4 lt if not into the bin.

My brother says the SS Tennessee Whisky and the Spirits Unlimited chips are good for a DJ I don't drink it.

My go to drink :obscene-drinkingchug: is the Samuel Willards Whisky chips but have just got some Toasted American Oak chips this has more of the oak taste but still great and for the price $20 for a kg I like it. I try to have enough so it can be on the chips for the 2 months but 1 month is ok but as always the longer the better. :D
I have mixed with the essences but when I do that I want more of the oak flavor but that's me so again a cap or so to the 5lts.

I add Glycerine as well to most just to help the ageing and smooth it out even more. But only 5mls or less to 1 lt.
At home and most BBQs I drink my stuff if I go out I drink beer as now I don't like the stuff you buy. So I think I must be doing ok.

Cheersbigears
Cheersbigears

equipment: Built up to a FSD 4" Eliminator and a homemade boiler

Postby Roger » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:15 pm

The SS Aussie Gold Rum is my second favorite. Best I found was SS Top Shelf Irish Whiskey - but then I prefer a lighter whiskey such as Jamieson.

For those who like Bombay Gin, the Edward Essence Sapphire Blue Gin is close.

Most of the essences are quite average, but these are the ones I enjoyed. Personal taste at the end of the day!!
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Previous

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products