Bourbon

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Bourbon

Postby alcodemon » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:59 pm

Do any of you guys/gals have any preferences for making Bourbon using a neutral spirit? Essences or Chunks?

I've tried both and think the Chunks are a lot more like a real Bourbon.

I'm trying out some Bourbon Chips that I bought for less than half the price of the Chunks.

A side-by-side comparison shows that the Chips flavour the spirit faster than the Chunks after one hour. The jars have 2.2 litres of 38% spirit each.

The left jar has 100 gr of Chips. The middle jar has 100 gr Chunks. (The right jar has 50 gr Chips after 1 day.)
Comparison1a.JPG

I'll wait about 4 weeks to give them a taste test.

Cheers,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alcodemon

equipment: LHBS LM Reflux

Re: Bourbon

Postby QLD.Andy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:08 pm

What I do is:
5lt neutral
1 x SS Classic American Bourbon (the 2 satchel job)
1 x pack Tennessee chips (cant remember if its 50g or 100g)
Leave as long as possible, I found some that had been there for over a year.
But, after a month everybody tells me its a very good JB clone.
QLD.Andy

equipment: Still Spirits T500 with Copper Mesh
McStill made Copper Parrot
McStill made Copper Pot Still

Postby haze » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:56 pm

im new to the game but i have found so far the chunks work well if they are good ones. I tried chunks and i was happy and the chips were good too but not as tasty. It depends what your hbs sells i guess. I cant recall which ones i got.

As for essences. Ive tried 2 of the edwards products for whisky/bourbon and one vodka one. I thought they were all terrible. Now if i use essense i only use the Still Spirits and i find the JD style one very nice. I havnt tried essense with oak as well so ill try that next.

also check out punkins dominoes viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1515

Ive ordered some and looking forward to trying
haze

equipment: 3" boka SS, 50lt keg, copper scrubbers,insulated column, 1/4" takeoff, 2 x 2200w elements with heat controller

Postby Dino61 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:28 pm

Ive been using the Essentia bourbon chunks, and they work well for me... I find a few days and its drinkable..
Dino61

equipment: custom 80l stainless boiler made n NZ , 2x 2400w elements, reflux and pot heads.

Postby Bnr032 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:07 am

i will second the essencia burboun chunks.
What i have found is they last more rounds then the chips..

IE i do one batch for 2 weeks, strain, re use, Next batch is approx 3 ish weeks (dependant on taste testing every week). Third batch is soaking and its been 3 weeks and i think ill be able to bottle it again.

No essences required.
Bnr032

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products