the beer machine

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

the beer machine

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:44 pm

227602840.jpg

http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/fo ... 769262.htm
Has anyone tried one of these?
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Re: the beer machine

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:05 pm

wouldnt bother with one of them, You would have enough gear to make your own beer I am sure and just need to get bottle which can be picked up for free.

The cost of these is a bit outrageous, As I said I bet you have the gear to brew a beer and could set up a kegging setup for $300 which will give you 19lts of beer you may be able to have 2 kegs if you want to use cheap taps or plastic beer gun.

I also think that the price of the ingredients are expensive (from what I have been told)
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:18 pm

sorry should have been a bit clearer I was going to get it as a gift for a mate who aint physicaly able to drag a 23l fermenter around and wants to try brewing.
kiwikeg

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:34 pm

kelbygreen

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for the links Kelbygreen, it seems those who have actually used one pretty much trash it due to cost of replacement parts. :handgestures-thumbdown:
kiwikeg

the beer machine

Postby Sam. » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

You don't have to lift anything heavy brewing if you plan it right. A 3L plastic jug will get a work out though!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm

no worries, its a good idea but seems a expensive way to get into it in the long run. But would be good for some people like if you are in a share house or something I guess it would be good.
kelbygreen

the beer machine

Postby wedwards » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Mate of mine bought 2 before I convinced him to brew properly, and he had to take both back due to leaking and bad fit of gas chamber and stuff. Might have been a coincidence but for same money you can get a good starter brew kit from HBS or big w or something which would be a lot better I reckon.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

the beer machine

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:17 am

These are a toy. Much easier and cheaper to brew properly. This is the kindy easybake oven of home brewing.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby poppa joe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:45 pm

You will find my post in one of the aussiehomebrewer files
I bought one for $5.00...Looked at it and put it on a shelf...
Would not waste time with one..
PJ
poppa joe

equipment: Home made copy of 30 yr old still

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:44 pm

My brother brought one of them...absolute waste of money. Tasted like shit because the beer sits on the trub permanently even when you are drinking it...that's if you could stomach to drink it....no matter how long it sat it just tasted like green beer straight out of the fermenter. The little gas bulbs that you use last about 1 or 2 squirts ...that's when you can get them to work without leaking the gas everywhere....biggest rort I have ever seen.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby billmcc » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:07 am

Ive been using a second hand one for over a year the beer/larger /stout kits for the beer machine are brilliant if you bottle and store your brew for a month at least. the problems with the beer machine is it takes too much space in your fridge, 10 ltr brews are too small so you need two :-D and you have trouble clearing the brew if you dont reprime and bottle it .after saying that they are quick easy a bit of a gimmick but overall good and if you get greedy you can brew two at once in a normal fermenter and use the beer machine as a dispenser
billmcc

equipment: still learning

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products