Carbon filtering

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: Carbon filtering

Postby Speedmaster71 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:01 am

WTDist wrote:Like warra said. It will not remove those chemicals. the filter is to work with ethanol, removing heavier denser molecules so all those ones that boil off before ethanol that are smaller and lighter pass right on through into your drinking spirit.
This is why it removes tails, they are heavier.

As for methanol you will most likely get rid of more acetone in that first 150ml than methanol which will be present throughout heads. Methanol is not the only bad chemical in the production of ethanol. There are many by products that boil off and come out of the still before ethanol so this is why we do cuts, to remove what IS NO drinking solvent but JUST hangover material. Wont kill you in the beginning but if you don want to die of liver failure then make cuts asap

I drank some Bundy the other day and woke up with one hell of a hangover. I didn't drink a huge amount but it seemed really really sharp and uncut or unfiltered. I haven't drank it for years and I won't be drinking it anytime soon. Why does some commercial spirits give you a huge headache/hangover?
Also, when I ran my old still Spirits reflux still NOT ONCE did they mention to do ANY cuts in the video instructions or written instructions is this irresponsible? All they tell you is to throw away the first 100ml then stop running the still when it hits over 80 degrees basically.
Speedmaster71

equipment: 2" Boka with a 50l Keg, 1X60 Litre fermenter, 1X 190 Litre fermenter

Postby wedwards » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:21 am

Speedmaster71 wrote:
WTDist wrote:Like warra said. It will not remove those chemicals. the filter is to work with ethanol, removing heavier denser molecules so all those ones that boil off before ethanol that are smaller and lighter pass right on through into your drinking spirit.
This is why it removes tails, they are heavier.

As for methanol you will most likely get rid of more acetone in that first 150ml than methanol which will be present throughout heads. Methanol is not the only bad chemical in the production of ethanol. There are many by products that boil off and come out of the still before ethanol so this is why we do cuts, to remove what IS NO drinking solvent but JUST hangover material. Wont kill you in the beginning but if you don want to die of liver failure then make cuts asap

I drank some Bundy the other day and woke up with one hell of a hangover. I didn't drink a huge amount but it seemed really really sharp and uncut or unfiltered. I haven't drank it for years and I won't be drinking it anytime soon. Why does some commercial spirits give you a huge headache/hangover?
Also, when I ran my old still Spirits reflux still NOT ONCE did they mention to do ANY cuts in the video instructions or written instructions is this irresponsible? All they tell you is to throw away the first 100ml then stop running the still when it hits over 80 degrees basically.

I believe what you experienced was a lot of head....and not in a good way :)

Ive had the feeling of a hangover within a few hours of a single shot of drink that had heads in it. Never really noticed it before I learnt to take cuts and keep heads to a minimum, but now I can smell and taste it a mile away.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby WTDist » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:48 am

Some commercial distilleries go fro quantity over quality where as some like ourselves go for quality over quantity. the quality ones are usually at a higher cost to buy.

Some that have a higher cost shouldn't, they use their name or popularity or sales to boost prices when they shouldnt.
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Speedmaster71 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:39 pm

WTDist wrote:Some commercial distilleries go fro quantity over quality where as some like ourselves go for quality over quantity. the quality ones are usually at a higher cost to buy.

Some that have a higher cost shouldn't, they use their name or popularity or sales to boost prices when they shouldnt.

I also reckon it's pretty irresponsible that the people that sell mass produced stills make NO mention of cuts at all. People need to be educated much more and I would have had no idea if I didn't find this forum.
Speedmaster71

equipment: 2" Boka with a 50l Keg, 1X60 Litre fermenter, 1X 190 Litre fermenter

Postby Kenster » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:36 am

speed.. its not irresponsible.. its BUSINESS..buddy... hey dont give a rats or actually 'make' you drink their shit... you choose to.
they just want you to buy all their shit... carbon, turbo, essences... all at rediculous prices..
Is it just the cynic in me or would i do it too if i were MR Still Spirits..probably

There is a million ton of info on Dr Google regarding... types of carbon(for filtering) how to correctly "clean" it etc... just seek and ye shal find..
but sorry Doc... the homegrown boil and oven bizzo... really does not do the job properly... super duper heat needs to be applied.. but whatever..("activated" carbon,,Wickipedia)
many on this site think they have cleaned up their carbon enough...so be it.. WT is right ... it works on capturing certain sized molecules and not others due to its varied porous structure... just cant get all the shit out at home fellas.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Kenster » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:03 pm

Apologies to all... my previous post 'canned' the re use of carbon.
I confused the 'production' of activated carbon with REGENERATING...my bad
sorry Doc.
However, some believe that just placing a few handfuls of carbon sitting in a bowl with dist will clean/filter it...NO IT WILL NOT...
there is lots of info out there which refutes this practice...just a waste of time n money.
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby PeterC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi, If you are after coconut carbon then one of the biggest sellers is Haycarb. The company I work for uses this in big water filters. They sell in 20 kg bags however. They are based in Victoria but I know they warehouse in WA. Lots is used in gold refining. My work regenerates it with steam annually but oven roasting will work as well. It's not full regeneration as previously mentioned but we have proven that it can substantially extend the life.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:05 am

Goldcarb Waterford QLD 4133 is another supplier if your in Brisbane QLD .
wynnum1

Previous

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products