triple distilled yeast still black

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Postby icewind » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi, this is my first batch using ss T500. Just finished fermenting 2 washes; turbo classic (which has cleared mostly after 8 days) and a triple distilled wash. The triple distilled is still black. (i did add ss carbon syrup) I have check the hydro and its reading 987 and no activity to speak of. Is this black just the carbon in the yeast or do i have to wait? Can I just put in the supplied turbo clear to clear this up? (triple distilled fermentation is 9 days old).

Thanks guys!

ps. How clear is "clear". I've used turbo clear on the original turbo yeast batch, and its mostly clear but slightly hazy.
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

Re: triple distilled yeast still black

Postby dillsandwitch » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:53 pm

yeah just chuk in the turbo clear and it will clear up nicely. and doesn't have to be crystal clear going into the still. my washes go in looking like fanta (i do TPW) and it comes out crystal clear and oh so nice.

good luck :D
dillsandwitch

equipment: T-500 :D

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Why are you people using turbo, carbon, and clearing agents? I just don't get it. The taste and quality for the effort is totally not worth it.

Save time, save money save ingredients and do a tomater paste wash.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby kapo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:10 pm

Tip it all out and do a TPW wash instead. Just kidding, but save your money next time and forget all the turbo yeasts + hundred extra additives you need to make them taste ok.
The classic should be good to go once you syphon off (ie dont tip the whole lot in the boiler) - but the other stuff I have no idea? (apparently they brand it triple distilled turbo yeast because it produces 3xdistilled quality on the first go - haha) I would add the clearing agent first if you have it already, but you probably dont need it. Worst case it tastes like crap and you just have to "triple distill" it for real. If you made it to direction, you will probably need to buy the special SS conditioner they sell too just to stop frothing from the boiler! The turbos are all about max yield in shortest time (+most expense). I also used them when I started and they seem to overdo the sugar in their instructions so it does not all ferment.
Once you finish, you'll need to clean your column packing because it will stink pretty bad :/
kapo

equipment: ......

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:18 pm

What kapo said. Too much $ too much effort and you have the combined knowledge of the forums here to advise you towards cheaper better cleaner ingredients.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby dillsandwitch » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:34 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Why are you people using turbo, carbon, and clearing agents? I just don't get it. The taste and quality for the effort is totally not worth it.

Save time, save money save ingredients and do a tomater paste wash.

my guess here is cause when you go to the store and buy the still the guy there goes "here buy this stuff" cause its how they make there money and untill people come across to the forum here and discover the awesomeness that is TPW they dont know any better. But yeah what BB and kapo said, ditch the turbos and go the all natural way as i call it :D
dillsandwitch

equipment: T-500 :D

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:40 pm

Copy that dillsandwitch
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby icewind » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:02 pm

"Why are you people using turbo, carbon, and clearing agents? I just don't get it."

I suppose US people, just might be first timers. It also might have something to do with the mrs buying me the t500 for anniversary prezzie and the bundle comes with the stock standard turbo yeast and kit. I decided then to try the triple distilled stuff, and I have a packet of vodka star ready.

Forgive me for trying something once!!

/rant over

Other posters, thanks for your constructive input. I have since read about tp wash, but the kit came with the turbo yeast, so i didn't really want to waste that, I had allready purchased the triple distilled yeast, and from all reports vodka star is the next best thing to tp wash.
icewind

Postby Linny » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:20 pm

icewind wrote:"Why are you people using turbo, carbon, and clearing agents? I just don't get it."

It also might have something to do with the mrs buying me the t500 for anniversary prezzie and the bundle comes with the stock standard turbo yeast and kit. I

keep that woman!!!! the guys at my work are hooked on turbo's cuz its easy... but then i showed them how clean TPW is.... its all part of the learning curve. have fun, read , ask questions , read some more and ALWAYS get rid of your foreshots. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby kapo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Don't worry too much icewind - your setup is fine :handgestures-thumbupleft: That's a great anniversary present. I have made some awesome drops from turbo based product - and once you mix it with your favorite fizzy drink your significant other will also be very happy indeed (you may even get another present ;) :romance-kisscheek: I still have several turbo packets somewhere and would not hesitate using them (if I need to survive during the zombie apocalypse). Make sure you post the results of that black stuff. I have never heard of that liquid carbon wash additive before.
kapo

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Hey I was there too. My first turbo was like turps or metho. I just could not get rid of that bitter, chemical bite in the finished product.

Sure, make your turbo. I'd say you won't serve it to loved ones. It's nasty, no matter how much u filter or wait.

Use the experiment but be aware that the taste u get out of a turbo might put your friends & family off moonshine forever.

I chucked about 4L of alc that I realised was close to toxic compare to my 2nd run of a TPW.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:48 pm

kapo wrote: I have made some awesome drops from turbo based product Having had the misfortune of tasting spirits made fo turbo's I'm sceptical to any claim of awesomeness I still have several turbo packets somewhere and would not hesitate using them Good for you

@ icewind
perhaps you're being a bit fragile mate , I doubt very much that backyardbrewer meant anything personal by his post. He may not have realized just how new you were here, If you had of introduced yourself first (nearly everyone does) he would have, ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Boomgate » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Heya Icewind...

I found a great little vid on Youtube that runs you through the whole process and explains WHY, which is great.... The video is about an airstill (made by the same people as the T500). It is a great reference for Turbo yeasts...

"Running a Still Spirits Air Still"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10bczH6Oqlc

After you have finished your Turbo, try a TPW... I know people keep going On and On and On about it... that's because they are on to something....

Hope that helps and good luck. There is loads of fun to be had.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm

croweater wrote:
kapo wrote: I have made some awesome drops from turbo based product Having had the misfortune of tasting spirits made fo turbo's I'm sceptical to any claim of awesomeness I still have several turbo packets somewhere and would not hesitate using them Good for you

@ icewind
perhaps you're being a bit fragile mate , I doubt very much that backyardbrewer meant anything personal by his post. He may not have realized just how new you were here, If you had of introduced yourself first (nearly everyone does) he would have, ;-)

WHAT HE SAID!
;-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby SBB » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:33 pm

Ice , might I suggest you read the following link, viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874
Its about "cuts" something you wont be told about in the T500 manual or in most homebrew shops. Its probably one of the single most important things you need to know about if you wish to make a good tasting product.
If you haven't run the T500 before Id also suggest you hunt around the forum posts and see how others are running them, most people run the temperatures on them slightly lower than what the manufacturers recommend.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby kapo » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:36 pm

croweater wrote:
kapo wrote: I still have several turbo packets somewhere and would not hesitate using them Good for you

I did continue to say only after the zombies have attacked haha :scared-eek:
My fermenter would still be bubbling.
:-D
kapo

Postby Boomgate » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 pm

SBB wrote:Ice , might I suggest you read the following link, viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874
Its about "cuts" something you wont be told about in the T500 manual or in most homebrew shops. Its probably one of the single most important things you need to know about if you wish to make a good tasting product.
If you haven't run the T500 before Id also suggest you hunt around the forum posts and see how others are running them, most people run the temperatures on them slightly lower than what the manufacturers recommend.

:text-+1:
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Sam. » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Yeah I would drink worse shit during the apocalypse but..

In answer to your question if you have out the turbo carbon in you really do need to put in the turbo clear. If you do it right it will be clear as water after a few days.

Having said that add up your costs for that brew then try a TPW and try again. Get your cuts right and you will never go back.

You can still drink the gear you have made it won't kill you just won't be as good as it can be
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:29 pm

+1 for cuts. I have a pure distilling reflux still and their manual made no reference whatsoever to cuts. It suggested you keep the entire run, water it down and Drink it. There is no way I would do that based on what I have learned on this forum.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby icewind » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:49 pm

yeh i was in a bit of a rush, failing to introduce myself. Backyard Brewer.... i'm usually a bit more laid back but its been a long day, its a Friday and I hadn't had a homebrew yet! Start over again.... Hi! New to spirits hb, havn't done a run yet but willing to learn as much as poss. :greetings-waveyellow:

on topic... don't you just need to run the top temperature probe 78-79 degrees? From what i've read, Ethanol boils at 78.4 degrees.
icewind

Next

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products