triple distilled yeast still black

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: triple distilled yeast still black

Postby icewind » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:03 pm

so how would you suggest doing cuts on a t500? What is the definition of feints (im presuming this is stuff between hearts and heads/tails?
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

triple distilled yeast still black

Postby Sam. » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Cuts are the same for anything

First little bit is the foreshots

Second is the heads

Then is all your hearts

Then you have the tails

Anything other than hearts can be called feints
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Linny » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:17 am

icewind wrote:so how would you suggest doing cuts on a t500? What is the definition of feints (im presuming this is stuff between hearts and heads/tails?

in the forum is the library ... download compleat distiller. i think i have read this 4-5 times as i tend to learn by doing , so i would jump in do a run. read the book and go ahhh thats what they meant , do another run , ask a few questions here then so on and so on.
I think you will find pretty much most people here double distills (strip run & spirit run) , and doesnt bother with the carbon filter. on the strip run i tend to ditch the foreshots and run the still to 97-98*C so i collect everything, once i have enough to do a second run , i water it down to 40% do a spirit run ditch the foreshots and then making my cuts. i tend to cut alot since i keep the heads and tails to put through again.

on your spirit run , collect in jars or small bottles , when the run is finished you will have a timeline of how the run went, you should be able to smell heads (smells like fuel) , hearts smells clean and tails can smell like carboard with a slight vanilla. most people just keep the hearts to use with essence flavours, whereas the guys that make bourbon and whiskeys from a mash will mix a bit of heads and tails to make their flavour....
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:32 am

Hi Icewind,
Welcome to the forum you have embarked on a wonderful journey to become a master distiller...
I think a turbo wash is the best wash for a beginer for a first run or two as it gets you drinkable product fast and reduces the variables of things to get confused about.
and you can get advice from a HBS about a product they know about.

Read kiwistillers guide to cuts viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874 for advice on making guides to cuts his is the best plain english explanation.

as someone posted there is also a lot of information on running and tweeking a T500 on the forums.

Once you have run those turbos thru have a hack at a TPW (aka Birdwatchers or tomato paste wash) viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8 :handgestures-thumbupleft: it will change your life :o

one thing I dont think that anyone mentioned to you is that with a TPW using good cuts there is no need to filter or carbon treat your booze saving you$$$

What do you like to drink?
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby icewind » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:16 am

cheers guys. Yeh, I'll drink 'most anything you put in front of me but I am partial to a good rye whisky like Canadian Club on the rocks with lime. Tequila and a good scotch. Vodka with a nice clean ale chaser is never a bad thing either. :)
icewind

equipment: 2" VM, 2" Pot

Previous

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products