ALCOTEC 48 for the first time can someone help

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

ALCOTEC 48 for the first time can someone help

Postby marbaker » Mon May 09, 2011 8:07 pm

i have just had a go useing alcotec 48 turbo yeast for the first time,i have read somewhere that they dont use the liquid carbon.so iv tried it without the carbon i used 6kilo's of sugar i left it for 2 days and it was still active so left it another day,and it was ok so i racked it of and de-gased it,i then put in the fineings and left it.its been 2 days now and its still clowdy can someone tell me were i might be going wrong or does it take longer to clear ?Thanks Marbaker
marbaker

Re: ALCOTEC 48 for the first time can someone help

Postby MacStill » Mon May 09, 2011 8:21 pm

Patience mate, things do take time even if the pkt says 48hr turbo ;)

Trying to rush things and shoving additives in is a waste of money and adds stuff to the wash that can give you ordinary results in your final product,just give it time and it will clear, if you can stick your wash somewhere really cool/cold and that will clear it quicker.

Dont be alarmed if this topic gets moved to HBS forum ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Mon May 09, 2011 9:09 pm

yeah just leave it 2 weeks not two days...

your paying for nothing fancy with turbos ad you will be wasting more money on the carbon to clean it all up at the end
maheel

Postby marbaker » Mon May 09, 2011 10:22 pm

thanks for the post my friends much appriciated thanks again marbaker
marbaker

Postby MacStill » Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 pm

How did it go marbaker? have you run it yet and how has it turned out?

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby marbaker » Wed May 25, 2011 10:36 pm

hi mcstill i left it a few more days it did'nt clear fully so just did it any way,i put in some conditioner just incase ,it went ok came out at 92% did my cuts its fine it tastes ok.so i tryed another this week,i left it like you said took my time,racked it off,de-gased it and put my turbo kliar and left it,it came out a bit better than the last one but i can't seem to get it crystal clear like the still spirit turbo yeast and the turbo clear,can you tell me why or is it ok just a little cloudy. thanks marbaker
marbaker

Postby MacStill » Wed May 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Hi marbaker,

Mate I'm not the best person to advise on turbo yeasts as I gave up using them early on in my learning curve, so have no real experience with them.

But! I've never seen any of my wash's go completely clear, there is always going to be some color once they've cleared.

It does sound as though your following the directions of the brew shop, and the pkt, so maybe the brand and all the additives your using is just how it turns out, the main thing is "you think it tastes ok" ;)

Have you tried any other turbo as a comparison?

Have you tried the tomato paste wash? it's a lot cheaper and a proven popular recipe used by many ;)

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby marbaker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:46 am

thanks for the info mcstill . sorry iv been busy the last few weeks on my garden while the sun was out lol.could you tell me more about the tomato paste recipe please, is the tomato paste the same a tomato purree.thanks marbaker
marbaker

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:57 am

R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby marbaker » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:05 am

also i forgot to ask how long does it take for the tomato paste wash to clear thanks marbaker
marbaker

Postby MacStill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:41 am

marbaker wrote:also i forgot to ask how long does it take for the tomato paste wash to clear thanks marbaker

Depends on a few things mate, but generally as long as it takes to clear any other wash, there's plenty of good info in the link 5Star posted above ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:02 am

The trick with switching from high yielding washes to low yielding ones is to increase ferment size.

So you have either bigger ferments or more of them, or both.

That way you are no longer dependent on ferment times.

This gives you a couple of benefits;
1) You are no longer waiting on a ferment to finish because you need it to make something to drink.
2) the stuff you are drinking has aged as you have enough stock ahead, so has improved with some airing.
3) the actual distillate from a low alcohol wash is by all accounts from those who have done both superior.
4) your washes clear because they are waiting on you, rather than you waiting on them.
5) the cost per litre of finished product drops considerably if you are not buying turbos and the associated stuff.
6) The amount of stuff you need to buy from the brew shop reduces to pretty much nil, hence better privacy.
7) you can (assuming you start making cuts) do away with the mess and expense of carbon filtering.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Goldie » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:09 pm

marbaker wrote:hi mcstill i left it a few more days it did'nt clear fully so just did it any way,i put in some conditioner just incase ,it went ok came out at 92% did my cuts its fine it tastes ok.so i tryed another this week,i left it like you said took my time,racked it off,de-gased it and put my turbo kliar and left it,it came out a bit better than the last one but i can't seem to get it crystal clear like the still spirit turbo yeast and the turbo clear,can you tell me why or is it ok just a little cloudy. thanks marbaker

marbaker I have found the Alcotec 48 sometimes doesn't go crystal clear whereas the few SS yeasts I have used always go crystal clear. Saying that the Alcotec washes that didn't go crystal clear have always tasted great. Last time I used SS yeast it never got to 990 even after 2 weeks at 24c, my cousin had the same problem and we both just use Alcotec now and always get a 990 and a full yield.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products