Mistakes using SS Z Filter

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Mistakes using SS Z Filter

Postby Blixxa » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd share my experience using a plastic Still Spirits Z Filter that I got as part of a kit (second hand admittedly). All the bits seemed to be included, fittings, washers, mesh etc. so I filled up the 3 columns using CB branded carbon, leaving about 10mm gap at the top of each column. Then I flushed it with water for about a minute. I cut out a double layer of coffee filter paper and put it in at the output end of the filter and the wire mesh at the input end. The hose was connected to the tap on a bucket containing 6 litres of 40% neutral.

The first few drops came out quickly - though it was mostly residual water from washing out the column. The next 200 ml of spirit came through at a steady trickle... And then the thing seemed to stop, taking about 3 hours to filter roughly 500ml of product. Fearing that the double filter paper was too thick, I pulled apart the bottom of the column and took out some paper. I probably shouldn't have touched it. Both of the top caps then began to leak and more spirit was coming out of the seals than out the tube at the bottom. Thinking there might be too much pressure on the caps, I then pulled out the remaining filter paper and swapped it with the wire mesh. It sure sped up the filtration, but it was now gushing out the end now. And my precious neutral was now a nice shade of cloudy grey.

This is where I reckon I went wrong:

I should have washed the carbon better. Apparently the mineral salts in the unwashed carbon will come out and make your product cloudy.

Impatience and not knowing how slow the filtration would be made me panic. Apparently this process can take up to 24 hours depending on your volume. I should have just let it go and do its thing.

Filtering it in the first place. Maybe the whole lot should have just gone through for a second distillation rather than a carbon filtration.

Happy stilling, hope this post helps someone!
Blixxa

equipment: Reflux

Re: Mistakes using SS Z Filter

Postby googe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:10 pm

Hey mate, you'll be struggling to find anyone on this site that filters, we make beautiful spirits here that don't need filtering, unless some.are holding out and not telling the truth :think: :)) . I'm guessing your doing turbo washes?. Have a read here , viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2906 and other stuff in the newbies corner . Good luck.
googe

Postby Blixxa » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Yep, I did a turbo for that run - I reckon it's a useful exercise to do once just so that you can use it as a comparison for whatever else you try in the future. Same goes for the carbon filter, will probably never use it again now I know what it's like ;-)

Also, thanks for the link & advice - stacks of good info on this board!!
Blixxa

Postby googe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:07 pm

No worries mate, I've never done a.turbo, came here with no clue and took everyones advice and now I'm making lovely stuff. I guess it was an easy choice just seeing the cost and effort involved with irons and clearing filtering blah blah just sounds like to much effort for little gain. What do you like to drink/make? What still you got?.
googe

Postby Blixxa » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:18 pm

I'd love to make Lagavulin but struggle waiting a week for my wash to ferment, never mind 12 years in a cask! I'm aiming to make nice, clean neutrals for limoncello, fruit liqueurs and the like. I don't know what the hell my still is... other than it was made in New Zealand and the bloke in the HBS hadn't seen one in years. It's maybe part reflux, filled with ceramic noodles, and pot still. I will try and post a photo. The column has been sealed shut so I'm not sure how to convert it to a pot without causing some damage. Holding the column temp between 78-84 C managed to get 80% abv. I've been in contact with people on this forum already, going to get a boka just as soon as I can.
Blixxa

Postby googe » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Sounds like a.pot if it's sealed, with some.reflux. That would make sense with the ABV your getting. I'm sure the people on here.you speak of.will steer you in the right direction :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Good luck mate.
googe

Postby Blixxa » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:31 pm

This is my still, top uses a rubber bung with an analogue thermometer poking out.
image.jpg
Blixxa

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products