Best chips/chunks and essenses for Bourbon and Rum flavours?

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Best chips/chunks and essenses for Bourbon and Rum flavours?

Postby numbnuts » Mon May 13, 2013 3:22 pm

Howdy folks

After doing a lot of reading here and elsewhere I am after some specific opinions.

I am wanting to get flavours of a Wild Turkey type bourbon for myself and a Bundaberg Rum Red (smooth) type rum for my better looking half :D

I will be using a small reflux still made spirit. I have just made my first batch and have the next lot fermenting now. For the bourbon It seems a lot of people like to use the Gobbler chips with a touch of essence. I already have a couple of sachets of Edwards - Legends Super Smooth Kentucky Bourbon I was given. Opinions of a better essence or combination? I seen one advertised as Scrub Turkey, any experience?

For the rum is a soaker such as Sam Willards rum chips combined with their Premium Rum essence any good?

Any feedback regarding opinions on tastes and best suppliers would be great as there seems to be a multitude of suppliers on the net. I will be wanting to buy online mostly and have shipped to a PO box as I live in country SA (Near Wallaroo - Yorke Peninsula if there is any other Yorkes people that read this). I get to Adelaide from time to time but its far easier to shop online these days.

I have tried the bourbon my ma's other half makes with just his spirit only at 40% and a sachet of Edwards - Legends Super Smooth Kentucky Bourbon and it is not bad I must say but I am looking for a bit more out of it myself...

What say ye?

Thanks
numbnuts

equipment: Hand me down 5lt POT still, just starting out.... noob alert! Thanks for ya help

Re: Best chips/chunks and essenses for Bourbon and Rum flavo

Postby blond.chap » Mon May 13, 2013 3:33 pm

This is probably the first point of call for you:
http://essencesearch.comoj.com/ (thanks to Distillnation)
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Linno » Mon May 13, 2013 3:44 pm

gday mate

i didnt mind the Gobblers chips they were ok, i prefered the SS bourbon staves before i started with the whiskey knock off recipe on here, i also thought the spirits unlimited Jack daniels chips were very drinkable too.

i tried the soakers you mentioned, i though they tasted shite so i binned them but hey taste is a personal thing. I went to making rum from mallases and running thru my reflux tower. it still left some of the flavour and i aged it on medium toast american oak chips.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Distillnation » Mon May 13, 2013 4:07 pm

blond.chap wrote:This is probably the first point of call for you:
http://essencesearch.comoj.com/ (thanks to Distillnation)

Thanks blond.chap!

numbnuts wrote:For the bourbon It seems a lot of people like to use the Gobbler chips with a touch of essence. I already have a couple of sachets of Edwards - Legends Super Smooth Kentucky Bourbon I was given. Opinions of a better essence or combination? I seen one advertised as Scrub Turkey, any experience?

As per blond.chaps suggestion, there is a review on the site for Edwards Scrub Turkey and the Gobbler chips. Might be just what you are looking for:

http://essencesearch.comoj.com/?page=vi ... rub+Turkey

Whether or not you choose to use the vanilla pod/glycerine is another question, but if you do try a few essences, please feel free to submit a review or two to the site to help other users out.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby numbnuts » Mon May 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Thanks for the link blond chap...bookmarked :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the feedback Linno, just what I'm after :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Keep it coming, thanks fellas
numbnuts

equipment: Hand me down 5lt POT still, just starting out.... noob alert! Thanks for ya help

Postby numbnuts » Mon May 13, 2013 4:19 pm

numbnuts wrote:For the bourbon It seems a lot of people like to use the Gobbler chips with a touch of essence. I already have a couple of sachets of Edwards - Legends Super Smooth Kentucky Bourbon I was given. Opinions of a better essence or combination? I seen one advertised as Scrub Turkey, any experience?

As per blond.chaps suggestion, there is a review on the site for Edwards Scrub Turkey and the Gobbler chips. Might be just what you are looking for:

http://essencesearch.comoj.com/?page=vi ... rub+Turkey

Whether or not you choose to use the vanilla pod/glycerine is another question, but if you do try a few essences, please feel free to submit a review or two to the site to help other users out.

I have just read that one thanks, sounds like the go so far.

I will be documenting my experiences here and there for sure :handgestures-thumbupleft:
numbnuts

Postby numbnuts » Mon May 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Here is a pic of the still I am using so ya's know what I have to work with :))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
numbnuts

Postby SBB » Mon May 13, 2013 4:59 pm

You sure thats a Reflux still? :? :?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby blond.chap » Mon May 13, 2013 5:01 pm

It does look a bit potty doesn't it.
blond.chap

Postby bt1 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Hold the phone!

looks like a vertically chilled CM based on collection sleeve to me.

btw piss off those bloody plastic tubes for collection...way bad and the source of off flavours.

The design we can work on...and get a good beast outa this

is that SS or spun aluminium before I start rattling off a few ideas?

reckon I've beef up the design before working on timbers...can help here too since your local.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Mon May 13, 2013 5:14 pm

Numbnuts is there any chance of another photo from a different angle, it really does look like a pot to me from here.
Edit sorry BT beat me in, .....I thought the hoses looked like water feed and return. Was trying to find a collection point.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby numbnuts » Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 pm

I have the manual here and it says its a Still Spirits 5 litre Reflux Still from NZ. I only managed to fit in 4 litres of wash in it with my first attempt. I will take some more pics etc after tea and post them up in a couple of hours. Maybe I should make another thread so as not to derail this one. Thanks for the advice and offers of help so far....stand by this evening for more pics :handgestures-thumbupleft:
numbnuts

Postby bt1 » Mon May 13, 2013 5:30 pm

Ah,

I know the design...we'll sort it no probs.

b4 your next start on the strip you'll be well into good stuff...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby blond.chap » Mon May 13, 2013 5:34 pm

Sorry last post on this, I recon that's the "Spirits Unlimited Pot", see this link: http://www.spiritsunlimited.co.nz/products-8-Stills%20And%20Equipment.html
blond.chap

Postby SBB » Mon May 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Moral of the story, never trust a stillspirit manual, they will tell you assorts of bullshit :laughing-rolling:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby numbnuts » Mon May 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for the replies, see my new thread for any input, now back on original topic :handgestures-thumbupleft:
numbnuts

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products