original prestige bombay essence

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Postby Battery Man » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Has anyone tried it?, I want to know if it's anything like Bombay Sapphire, or just shit
I haven't even built my still yet so gin baskets are a bit beyond me at the moment, :)) thanks
Battery Man

equipment: 2"VM

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:24 pm

Mate if you're saying is a little bottle of cordial flavouring anything like real gin? Then hell no.

Let me tell you a little story:

one day after many many months of doing gin cordial flavouring extracts that all my friends thought was excellent, i tried some of blond.chap's gin that he made from scratch with a full range of real botanicals done in a gin basket. I realized that it was nothing like the extract when my wife (a huge gin fan) said "that is the smoothest gin I have ever tasted"

So I was at once insulted and challenged and ever since I have only made all botanical gin using blond.chap's recipe with a tweak here and there using Mac's FSD gin basket and an FSD 400mm packed section.

So yeah, that is a fair investment but if you like gin or have friends/family that like gin then you need to be working towards all botanicals in a basket and a packed section. You'd be surprised how astonishing the results are.

(Queue BT1 for his thoughts on gin any second - oh bt1 last run we did? Added some cucumber skins for a real Tanqueray No10 feel. Only time will tell if the cucumber added anything!)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: original prestige bombay essence

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:46 am

Howdy,

almost feel compelled to comment here...

battery the simplest way I know to get a distilled gin is to use a square piece of muslin/cheese cloth, about $2 from Spotlight stores, crush/cut up botanicals place on cloth, Tie it into the neck of the still with a piece of SS fuse wire $1.50...your done!...both are re useable many times... It's a far better and more interesting drop than an essence.

If you need a hand sourcing the botanicals for the style you want let use know.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Battery Man » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:23 pm

Alright, you've convinced me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
BT1, I'll pm you in the next couple of weeks when i have everything else sorted for some botanicles
thanks guys
Battery Man

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:41 pm

I'd be interested in a how to make gin to if someone has a link or recipe/botanical list.
newbiboozer

equipment: 4" modular plated column in very early stages.

Postby Battery Man » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:45 pm

newbiboozer wrote:I'd be interested in a how to make gin to if someone has a link or recipe/botanical list.

Yeah I'm not too sure of the exact procedure yet myself, I was going to rain questions on bt1 when i bought some stuff off him :D
Google has some info, but i haven't gathered enough to really know what to do yet (insert appropriate smiley here)
Battery Man

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:58 pm

Battery Man wrote:
newbiboozer wrote:I'd be interested in a how to make gin to if someone has a link or recipe/botanical list.

Yeah I'm not too sure of the exact procedure yet myself, I was going to rain questions on bt1 when i bought some stuff off him :D
Google has some info, but i haven't gathered enough to really know what to do yet (insert appropriate smiley here)

Just had a look in the tried and proven there is a couple of good recipes in there. There are some ingredients I've never heard of let alone know where you might source them though.
newbiboozer

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Here's a link to the recipe blond.chap has modified from others and that I've nicked too.
:-)
viewtopic.php?t=3447

You can get every ingredient on eBay very easily. Just buy more juniper berries than anything else - you won't go through orris root or Angelica at the same rate as you do juniper. Because ...you know ...that's the main flavour and all;)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby newbiboozer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:37 pm

What is a gin bag and if you put crushed stuff in a basket won't it just wash straight through into your product.
newbiboozer

Postby Battery Man » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:54 pm

newbiboozer wrote:What is a gin bag and if you put crushed stuff in a basket won't it just wash straight through into your product.

From what i gather, you water down a neutral to 40%, then wrap your juniper and stuff in muslin cloth, hang it in your column, then run your wash through and collect at around 65%
'
Then age for a while (a month according to a preliminary glance at Backyard brewers link) and water down and drink.
Again, not 100%, but if all the good stuff is in a bag then only vapours should be getting to it, so no solids should end up in the final drink.
Coffee filter paper at the end of your output should take care of any solids :handgestures-thumbupleft:
After saying all this i just hope i'm not too far off :D
Battery Man

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:09 pm

newbiboozer wrote:What is a gin bag and if you put crushed stuff in a basket won't it just wash straight through into your product.

It's simply a cotton or natural cloth fibre sheet that you wrap your botanicals in.

You then place it in the path of the vapour as you collect before you condense it back to liquid. We use a packed section before the bag or basket to reflux the spirit to concentrate it and remove any flavour (because you want the gin flavour only unlike when doing rums, brandy or whisky).

So this generally gets the abv up above 92% at least for me. Best I've had from my packed section is about 94%

Now the "basket" we refer to is simply a stainless steel 4" section of pipe that has several holes in the bottom that allows vapour to travel through and you fill with your choice of botanicals to flavour the spirit (if making Cointreau then you'd pack it with dried orange peel, for gin we use the botanicals discussed before).

The basket (mine's a FSD one from Mac) is just an easier way of getting botanicals in the path of vapour. A bag also works fine, others here do that rather than build or buy a basket.

There's no problem with botanic material in your output, sometimes it will drop some oils back down the column into the wash but I've never had any carry through the product condenser into the final spirit.

I air it for 48-72 hours, then water to 42% and age it a month. Gin lovers who've tasted my gin recently side by side with Tanqueray 10 rate this smoother and more flavorful - and this is people who know their gin.

All I can say is give this gin a crack if you like gin and you won't be disappointed.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby blond.chap » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Yep I'll weigh in and say this is definitely worth a shot, coincidentally I just had some people round and every one who tries it says it's great, better than most if not all gins
they've tried.

Credit goes to Bt1 mainly for the recipe btw, I just messed around with it a bit.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby DukeofHaysom » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:10 am

OK ... Imma throwing this question out there .. I was on here ages ago .. Ledgenko1 ... fell off the planet for a bit . soz guys !

But I have been introduced to Bombay Sapphire East ... add Thai pepper corns and Lemon grass as Vapour infused ... gonna say it is mind blowing ...

Having read what you guys are doing ... seems to me that the vapour is the way to go .. gonna chuck a TPW down tomoz as it has been nearly a year since I last did a wash !!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Matt :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal:
DukeofHaysom

equipment: turbo 500

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:36 am

DukeofHaysom wrote:OK ... Imma throwing this question out there .. I was on here ages ago .. Ledgenko1 ... fell off the planet for a bit . soz guys !

But I have been introduced to Bombay Sapphire East ... add Thai pepper corns and Lemon grass as Vapour infused ... gonna say it is mind blowing ...

Having read what you guys are doing ... seems to me that the vapour is the way to go .. gonna chuck a TPW down tomoz as it has been nearly a year since I last did a wash !!!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Matt :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal:

Good to see you back, how about dropping by the welcome centre for a reintroduction ;-)

There has been a lot done in the way of gins since you were here last, search for carter head :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:06 am

dual accounts are not permitted on this forum ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Bernie » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:43 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:

It's simply a cotton or natural cloth fibre sheet that you wrap your botanicals in.

You then place it in the path of the vapour as you collect before you condense it back to liquid. We use a packed section before the bag or basket to reflux the spirit to concentrate it and remove any flavour (because you want the gin flavour only unlike when doing rums, brandy or whisky).

So this generally gets the abv up above 92% at least for me. Best I've had from my packed section is about 94%

Now the "basket" we refer to is simply a stainless steel 4" section of pipe that has several holes in the bottom that allows vapour to travel through and you fill with your choice of botanicals to flavour the spirit (if making Cointreau then you'd pack it with dried orange peel, for gin we use the botanicals discussed before).

The basket (mine's a FSD one from Mac) is just an easier way of getting botanicals in the path of vapour. A bag also works fine, others here do that rather than build or buy a basket.

There's no problem with botanic material in your output, sometimes it will drop some oils back down the column into the wash but I've never had any carry through the product condenser into the final spirit.

I air it for 48-72 hours, then water to 42% and age it a month. Gin lovers who've tasted my gin recently side by side with Tanqueray 10 rate this smoother and more flavorful - and this is people who know their gin.

All I can say is give this gin a crack if you like gin and you won't be disappointed.

I am being a bit thick but how would I set up a T500 with a bag?
Bernie

equipment: T500 & Airstill

Postby Irritable » Sun May 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Fwiw -
My wife loves Bombay! Loves it.
I bought some Edwards sapphire and threw away the mixing instructions.
In 1 litre of 42% neutral we added 1/2 bottle of essence. We then let that sit for two weeks and added some (16)lightly dried juniper berries for another 7 days. I can say that the colour is a light urine colour but the taste is quite amazing.
She has a very delicate smell/taste and this is pretty damn close.
If anything - we should of gone lighter on berries as up till then, we could only just make out the famous aroma, now - it's quite strong.

Cheers
Si
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby Urrazeb » Sun May 24, 2015 7:02 pm

You don't need to use the vapour infusion method, you can just plonk everything in the boiler with your diluted hearts and make gin that way...
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products