Doubl distilling

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Doubl distilling

Postby Popcorn Jack » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Hello

I'm using a t500 set up and have been putting down 3 tpws at the same time. I cook them all individually as fast as the still will let me..roughly 5 hrs a cook..then I put all my collections in the still with some xtra wash and double distil the 3 again.. This time low and slow..taking 250 ml cuts..problem I'm haveing is that it's takeing up to 12hrs for the double cook..

Anyone see what I can do to help save time with what I have? Should I go low n slow for all three cooks..?

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Re: Doubl distilling

Postby JayD » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Unfortunately you are governed by what your still can do safely...and it sounds as though you are doing it right...strip as fast as possible collecting all after fores until you have enough low wines saved to do a spirit run, no higher in abv than 40% for your spirit run, running slow to get off the best distillate your still can produce. The other option is to upgrade to something a little bigger to speed it all up.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Muppet » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:35 pm

G'day guys what's the reason for double distilling TPW through the t500? Are you achieving a nicer product? I've been doing single slow runs with TPW if there's something to gain ill give it a crack ;)
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby JayD » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:50 pm

Double distilling is generally done to increase your abv and to give a cleaner spirit, a reflux still should be able to put out 90%abv plus, when all your running parameters are set properly including your wash.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Kimbo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi Popcorn,
If it were me, I would try my hand at building a small pot still head to sit on the T500 boiler, this will probably allow you to strip faster.
secondly I would strip all the wash, not leave some for diluting.
Other than that, What Jay said about upgrading.
the T500 aren't a bad little unit, they're just a bit slow. So make a day of it, have a couple of other things going while your changing jars ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Pugdog1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:04 am

u gotta remember u cant do your big cook to fast due to the amount your putting in there, you would be putting close to 15L of like 70-80% in that plus ur wash so you cant really save anytime there (I have the same still), you shouldn't need to double distill it though unless your first batch is really rough. I run my runs out at 50-55 degree and do a run in about 3-4hrs depending on how cold the wind is blowing as I have no insulation. and it comes out at 95ish% every time and its clean and good neutral, and Im using up turbos still (cant just waste it as I bulk bought a heap to begin with), your tpws should be coming out great In the reflux in 1 cook (ive done a batch before was good after 1 run through nice n slow).

I would be interested to know if you think you are benefitting from the second run though compared to if you just did one run at lower temps and slowly on a batch. as I have never double distilled unless I make a batch where bad flavours carry into the end product.

also if you have not got a water pump to regulate your flow I would suggest getting one, once I did the performance and quality coming out of the still probably doubled almost. and I saved time as well due to the constant temps.
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 am

Kimbo wrote:Hi Popcorn,
If it were me, I would try my hand at building a small pot still head to sit on the T500 boiler, this will probably allow you to strip faster.
the T500 aren't a bad little unit, they're just a bit slow. So make a day of it, have a couple of other things going while your changing jars ;-)

What Kimbo said.
I got Mac to build me a pot that sits on top of my T500 boiler, since then the product has improved 10 fold.
Best thing I ever did both for product and time.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby crow » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:27 pm

Yes I believe QLDAndy posted an identical statement to that a yr or so back and so have others, sounds like the way forward with this still ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Muppet » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:00 pm

The Stig wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Hi Popcorn,

What Kimbo said.
I got Mac to build me a pot that sits on top of my T500 boiler, since then the product has improved 10 fold.
Best thing I ever did both for product and time.

Thanks heaps buddy anything that improves the product is good learning. Cheers stig
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby Popcorn Jack » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:03 pm

Pugdog1 wrote:I would be interested to know if you think you are benefitting from the second run though compared to if you just did one run at lower temps and slowly on a batch. as I have never double distilled unless I make a batch where bad flavours carry into the end product.

also if you have not got a water pump to regulate your flow I would suggest getting one, once I did the performance and quality coming out of the still probably doubled almost. and I saved time as well due to the constant temps.

Ya pug I take the definite hearts out of each cook and double the head n tails " plus" getting more Hearts out of my cooks..

What's the highest abv% a cook should be?

PJ
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 pm

I get 93% during a "spirit" run, that tapers off towards the tails end of the run down to around 88% before i kill it
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby MacStill » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 pm

The Stig wrote:I get 93% during a "spirit" run, that tapers off towards the tails end of the run down to around 88% before i kill it

How many years you been running that for now Stig ? would have to be 4 & 1/2 at least that I can think of...... I guess if you take care of it and get running it down to tee, you can get some good use out of the same T500 :o WOW!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Pugdog1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:15 am

Been running my t500 for 3 years started having a issues after 6 months but :laughing-rolling: . Only part of it that works without a hitch is the boiler
Pugdog1

equipment: Still spirits Turbo 500 still

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products