no liquid carbon

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

no liquid carbon

Postby morgs1301 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi guys I am using my turbo 8kg production pack for the first time, I have previously used the 6kg pack. I have noticed there is no liquid carbon. Is it needed? The box does say everything you need to make the wash. I'm confused!!
morgs1301

equipment: Just purchased a Turbo 500 reflux still, new to this hobby, hoping to make a quality drop.

Re: no liquid carbon

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun May 11, 2014 2:20 pm

No it's not needed mate... It's going to taste like shit either way.

Chuck a TPW or Weetbix wash on and it'll be like seeing colours for the first time.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Andy » Sun May 11, 2014 5:05 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:No it's not needed mate... It's going to taste like shit either way.

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

hi morgs. have a look at the tried and true recipes of the forum if you haven't yet. the recipes there are thoroughly enjoyed by most people on the forum. 99% of members who used turbo packs, then tried the TPW or weetbix wash never went back to turbo. all the ingredients can be found at the supermarket, will save you some coin, and give far better results.

be sure to check out the cuts guide if you go with a tried and true recipe :handgestures-thumbupleft:
cuts guide is here http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=874
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby morgs1301 » Sun May 11, 2014 5:18 pm

Yeah I know all of this, but I have this pack here so I'd be dumb not to use it. My next batch will be a TPW.
morgs1301

equipment: Just purchased a Turbo 500 reflux still, new to this hobby, hoping to make a quality drop.

Postby Yummyrum » Sun May 11, 2014 5:24 pm

Hi Morgs ,not sure what you mean by liquid carbon .

The only carbon I have seen is granulated stuff you put in a Filter although turbo packs do appear to have some in them as well.Apparently it helps absorb some of the off flavours during fermenting
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby SBB » Sun May 11, 2014 6:09 pm

Morgs I don't think many of the members here use those types of products as the results are not really up to the standards we aim for.
Some one who does know will probably come along sooner or later though.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Geeps » Sun May 11, 2014 7:01 pm

[quote="morgs1301"]Yeah I know all of this, but I have this pack here so I'd be dumb not to use it.

Good on ya mate dont waste it it would be good for a cleaning run so you dont have to drink the shit. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :puke-huge:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby APR » Sun May 11, 2014 7:13 pm

morgs1301 wrote:Hi guys I am using my turbo 8kg production pack for the first time, I have previously used the 6kg pack. I have noticed there is no liquid carbon. Is it needed? The box does say everything you need to make the wash. I'm confused!!

Hi morgs, I see Still Spirits state " Turbo Sugar is a blend of dextrose, sugar and carbon that produces particularly good quality alcohol because it absorbs impurities during fermentation". So it seems like you still have the carbon..... just in a different manner.
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby APR » Sun May 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Geeps wrote:Good on ya mate dont waste it it would be good for a cleaning run so you dont have to drink the shit. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :puke-huge:

I have only yesterday put down 10Kg of sugar made up to 50 litres using one turbo classic pack and around 80g of bakers yeast. Turbo washes ferment in a couple of days so I am not waiting around for product when I want to put a bit of wash through a still when playing around and experimenting. It has been taking around 10 days for me to get a TPW fermented using bakers yeast from Coles, and I want a wash I can use in the meantime.

In doing what I am doing at the moment I am also wanting to verify for myself whether double the water, a lower ratio of sugar to water, the addition of a bit of bakers yeast and lower fermentation temperature will give a better flavor than the normal recipe turbo wash. You want to see this stuff bubbling. It is just about continuously displacing the water and blowing gas out the air lock.
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby Geeps » Sun May 11, 2014 7:38 pm

APR wrote:
Geeps wrote:Good on ya mate dont waste it it would be good for a cleaning run so you dont have to drink the shit. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :puke-huge:

I have only yesterday put down 10Kg of sugar made up to 50 litres using one turbo classic pack and around 80g of bakers yeast. Turbo washes ferment in a couple of days so I am not waiting around for product when I want to put a bit of wash through a still when playing around and experimenting. It has been taking around 10 days for me to get a TPW fermented using bakers yeast from Coles, and I want a wash I can use in the meantime.

In doing what I am doing at the moment I am also wanting to verify for myself whether double the water, a lower ratio of sugar to water, the addition of a bit of bakers yeast and lower fermentation temperature will give a better flavor than the normal recipe turbo wash. You want to see this stuff bubbling. It is just about continuously displacing the water and blowing gas out the air lock.

All good APR but you you stiill cant polish a turd no matter what ya use. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Geeps

equipment: Rose oil extractor

Postby Yummyrum » Sun May 11, 2014 7:48 pm

OT ...sorry Morgs ....:violence-stickwhack:

Great experiment APR ..IMO a lot of the Turbo stench comes from the Yeast Nutrient (DAP) that they load it up with .I made a wino's sugar wash ( which is basically sugar DAP and water) and it smelt like a Turbo while it fermented but the product was not ......due to less sugar and less yeast stress
Yummyrum

Postby MacStill » Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Yummyrum wrote:OT ...sorry Morgs ....:violence-stickwhack:

Good call yummy :text-+1:

Topic might be better in the Distillation for beginners using HBS products section.

Gotta stop the bashing guys, remember we all started somewhere ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun May 11, 2014 7:57 pm

APR wrote:It has been taking around 10 days for me to get a TPW fermented using bakers yeast

Patience is part of the game we play as distillers APR, short cuts don't usually produce worthwhile results.
APR wrote:verify for myself whether double the water, a lower ratio of sugar to water,

Ive heard through the grapevine and also read that both your method, or using half the the amount of yeast will make a slightly better product.
APR wrote:the addition of a bit of bakers yeast

Not to sure what this will achieve?
APR wrote:lower fermentation temperature

This will probably help also. Stability of temp is quite important in neutral type washes as well. Fluctuating temps will stress yeast no end.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:48 pm

morgs1301 wrote:Hi guys I am using my turbo 8kg production pack for the first time, I have previously used the 6kg pack. I have noticed there is no liquid carbon. Is it needed? The box does say everything you need to make the wash. I'm confused!!

Being a turbo wash mate,if your going to drink it I'd prob try to filter it,I've watched the clip where the person uses liquid carbon,looks like it works the same way as normal carbon,just in liquid form. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby agro » Sun May 18, 2014 6:50 pm

as much as people on here hate the local hbs my local is good they are brewers if i walk in and ask for a product they will point to the shelf and say you are better getting (x) from a supermarket mixing it (y) to get a better job done, as far as liquid carbon goes they stock it but say it will stuff your still up eventually, hope this helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
agro

equipment: ss t500 & ss super reflux

Postby morgs1301 » Thu May 22, 2014 4:23 pm

So after the 7 days i checked the SOG and it was at about 1030.. i kept it sitting at 30 degrees for 2 days then it went down to 23. I haven't done anything different this time compared to last time. Not sure what to do, can i save my wash? or do i throw it out and start again?? My temp wouldnt of got over 30 either so the yeast dying due to over heating shouldnt be the problem.
morgs1301

Postby Yummyrum » Thu May 22, 2014 6:58 pm

Not that it matters ,but I am curious when you say you did the 8kG turbo pack ,was that the box with the 8 packs of Dextrose in it and yeast ,turbo clear etc or did you just buy a turbo yeast pack and add the 8kG of sugar ?

Did you add enough water ? Turbos with 8kG are really struggling ,I used to find that a few extra liters would help ,particularly in summer when temps were up .

If you did run it at 30 deg ,then this is getting up there for a turbo ,they normally work better down near the 25 Deg range as apposed to the bread yeast we all use which likes the 30 deg end .

Anyway ,shit happens and it may not fully finish ....Mate of mine recently had the same thing happen ..hes been doing turbos for years...
My mantra is that no wash should be wasted and you can learn .....and get alcohol from all runs .
whether you choose to drink it is another story but IMO ,it probably might taste better than if you had let it fully ferment out . At FG 1.023 ,its still probably going to have more alcohol in it than if you had done a TPW with 5kG of sugar and bread yeast :-B

Run the bastard :handgestures-thumbupleft: ....just watch for pucking......don't overfill the boiler ;-)
Yummyrum

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 22, 2014 7:52 pm

Next time Morgs it might be better posting in the hbs section. That is a sefe haven to avoid the negativity from other members relating to hbs products :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Sam. » Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Urrazeb wrote:Next time Morgs it might be better posting in the hbs section. That is a sefe haven to avoid the negativity from other members relating to hbs products :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Good call mate, been moved :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Thu May 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Yummyrum wrote:just watch for pucking......

What the puck are you on about :wtf:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Next

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products