Too Cold for Turbo???

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Too Cold for Turbo???

Postby vb4me » Sun May 25, 2014 10:06 am

13 Days ago I put down my first wash which was a turbo starter pack (came with the still) and 6kg of white sugar. It took off within half an hour bubbling aggressively and did so for the next three days. I had the fermenter in the kitchen too keep an eye on things as well as a more consistant temperature which by day three was sitting on the 28 degree mark. The fermenter was moved into the back shed as the other half didn't appreciate the aroma coming from it. Within a day the bubbling had slowed quite dramatically and after 3 days in the shed had stopped altogether but the airlock looked like there was still pressure inside as the level hadn't equalised yet and with the temperature sitting on 18 degrees. 2 days later I took an S.G reading as things hadnt changed with the airlock and got 1010 so let it sit and tested again this morning almost a week later and still have a reading of 1010. So my question is..... Is 18 degrees too cold for turbo yeast and is there a way I can get my S.G reading down to 990?

Cheers guys
vb4me

equipment: Still spirits t500

Re: Too Cold for Turbo???

Postby APR » Sun May 25, 2014 10:18 am

vb4me wrote:13 Days ago I put down my first wash which was a turbo starter pack (came with the still) and 6kg of white sugar. It took off within half an hour bubbling aggressively and did so for the next three days. I had the fermenter in the kitchen too keep an eye on things as well as a more consistant temperature which by day three was sitting on the 28 degree mark. The fermenter was moved into the back shed as the other half didn't appreciate the aroma coming from it. Within a day the bubbling had slowed quite dramatically and after 3 days in the shed had stopped altogether but the airlock looked like there was still pressure inside as the level hadn't equalised yet and with the temperature sitting on 18 degrees. 2 days later I took an S.G reading as things hadnt changed with the airlock and got 1010 so let it sit and tested again this morning almost a week later and still have a reading of 1010. So my question is..... Is 18 degrees too cold for turbo yeast and is there a way I can get my S.G reading down to 990?

Cheers guys

In my experience a turbo wash after 3 days at 20 - 30 degree will be fully fermented.... actually, at 28 I would expect after 2 days it will be fully fermented. Do you get 1.00 from the hydrometer when you measure straight water?

I would be inclined to run it now, as I cannot see you getting more from it after 13 days. I guess you could try warming the wash up and see if it ferments any further, but after it being dead for 10 days I think I would cut my losses and distill it.
APR

equipment: A couple of 2" boka stills with a few different concepts implemented in them.

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun May 25, 2014 10:21 am

1010 will be close enough to done, mate... Chalk it down to learning experience.

Chuck a TPW on... It'll taste better, cost less and the missus probably won't mind the smell in the kitchen :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby vb4me » Sun May 25, 2014 10:47 am

Cheers guys. Was thinking it may be close enough. Beer usually is. Just didnt want a major puking episode. So cool once I get off work again I will be distilling that wash and giving the TPW a crack.
Yeah APR I tested the hydrometer and get 1000 for straight water. Cheers

And apologies to the mods for posting in wrong section.
vb4me

Postby wynnum1 » Sun May 25, 2014 11:58 am

Try putting out in the sun covering with a black plastic garbage bag .
wynnum1

Postby vb4me » Wed May 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Cheers wynnum1 Did think of that just didn't really want to be carrying the barrel around shaking up the sediment but all good. Tested again and it was sitting at 1000 so cleared it overnight and currently have it on the boil.
vb4me

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products