First wash run

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

First wash run

Postby Wino » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 am

Hi guys, running my first wash Ever today, i decided to do 2 x 25 lt TPW for my first. It was a long wait to play with my new still, but what ive read well worth it.
So my plan is to run the still as per manufactures instructions. Except taking 300ml cuts in jars i purchased , then airing for a day . Then i will try smelling and tasting diluted cuts to blend. I am not going to filter, do you guys think i should seen it is my first?? Also just wondering if any other T500 users have any tips for me on these things . Thanks for your comments . Cheers
Last edited by Zak Griffin on Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed double post
Wino

equipment: SS T500 , building Pot Still soon

Re: First wash run

Postby SBB » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:26 am

Wino wrote:do you guys think i should seen it is my first??

Maybe filter half and keep half as is, see what your own preference is. The rest of your plan sounds pretty good.
The first run is big learning curve, Dont worry to much if you stuff things up, you can always water the Alc back down to 40% or less and run it again.
This would be a good time to see what makes your still tick, play with the water tap, see what effects different water flows to the condenser have on the output speed and purity of the booze leaving the still.
More water will slow output, increase reflux, and in theory make for cleaner and higher abv's. Less water will have the opposite effect. The thermometer is a reasonable guide but don't be a slave to it, If you think the stills running to slow or fast adjust things to suit. Doing it this way your first run wont be perfect by any means, but you will learn a lot more than just sticking to the instructions.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Wino » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Thanks for the advice ssb,I'm running the first lot tonight. I am extremely excited about playing around with it. :text-thankyoublue:
Wino

Postby vb4me » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:29 pm

Good luck with it wino.
I did my first run 10 days ago. Not entirely happy but those that have tasted like it.
Still waiting for my tpw to ferment out been 10 days but its still bubbling away quite happily.
Be interesting to taste the difference. And I think the cuts will make a huge difference.
vb4me

equipment: Still spirits t500

Postby Andy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:25 am

Hope it went well wino.
TPW + cuts. U will make something half decent even if you run it horribly hahaha :-)
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Wino » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:03 pm

Hey guys,
the run went well, I have about 2500ml of 92% all airing in 300ml cuts.took about 4 hours start to finish. I definately smelled the difference between the heads and the hearts, but not so much with the tails, I will water them down tonite and hopefully I can pick the tails. Do you guys water the whole samples, or just the tasting amounts prior to blending? I am very pleased with the outcome of the TPW. I have another 25L batch to run tomorro night. I found the water control very twitchy on the T500, but managed to hold the temp around 53-54 deg. I am so glad that I got this thing cheap, as I would of felt ripped off at full price. I rinsed the column out after use , and it appears to be leaking out the top plastic bit, also seems to be some hissing sound round the hot water outlet plastic. I have emailed still spirits to see what they think. Might try some flour water around the leaky bits, any suggestions on what to use?? Cheers for the replys
Wino

Postby Sam. » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:16 pm

After airing I give all the jars a sniff test first and see where I reckon I am going to cut, then I take my trusty teaspoon and put a little bit of the middle jar on it then add (roughly) the same amount of water and have a taste, continue this working outwards, I usually go towards heads first. Don't water down the whole lot because then you just need more room to store feints ;-)

Also I wouldn't go running a leaking still :scared-eek:

Flour paste can be a quick fix but should not be a long term solution, also the fact your saying plastic has me worried x_x
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Wino » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:19 am

Cheers for the comments , after tasting the jars i ended up with 4 keepers out of 9. I could really taste the tails more than smelling. I cant believe that HB shops tell People theres no tails with the T500 :)) . I have learnt so much already and im just starting out. Definately has me hooked,thanks to every one and cant wait to learn so much more :clap: cheers
Wino

Postby Roger » Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:39 pm

Hi wino, also using T500 with TPW but couldn't smell much difference in my cuts. I did mine at 500ml. Maybe I should also do 300ml? What did you taste in the tails??
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby Wino » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:32 pm

Hey Rodger, probably better to do cuts in 300ml or less I've found with the t500, I can get a definite wet carboard smell when the tails come in. Usually last 2-3 jars on a 25 lt run.I'm loving the tpw , great neutral. Cheers
Wino

Postby Roger » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:05 pm

Cheers for that wino. Might try and leave my cuts out for a day then smell and taste test. See if that makes it easier
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby N95Girl » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi Wino, how's your brewing going these days?

Did you hear back from still spirits about your condenser? I haven't used mine yet but after ringing the still water dribbled out of the plastic when tipped upside down.

I was going to have my first run tomorrow.
N95Girl

equipment: T500 Copper

Postby Wino » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:09 am

Hi n95 girl, I got the same spill from still spirits as every one else. That they are designed that way. I have run mine many times with no probs. I always check for leaks using a mirror around the top and around the lid seal. It doesn't seem to let the vapour out at all. But best to keep checking. Cheers
Wino

Postby N95Girl » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Thanks mate. I read after my post on the their website that this is normal.

When I am cleaning my T500, water runs out from the crack between the plastic at the top and the metal tower, should this happen? Will spirit escape during distilling?
Yes this will happen during cleaning as there is no seal at the top of the tower between the top cap and the stainless steel condenser. This does not have any effect on the operation of the still, as the reflux process causes a vacuum effect sucking all vapour from the tower to the condenser.
N95Girl

equipment: T500 Copper

Postby Salter » Mon May 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Wino wrote:I found the water control very twitchy on the T500, but managed to hold the temp around 53-54 deg.

It's so sketchy, I just look at mine and it changes... I'm looking into it to find a more accurate way to control the temp

Wino wrote:I rinsed the column out after use , and it appears to be leaking out the top plastic bit,

Is this necessary with a T500?! What should I do post run with mine? Do I need to take the hoses off, unpack the column, etc...?
Salter

equipment: Turbo 500 still
30 litre fermenter

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products