collection speed and possible puking

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

collection speed and possible puking

Postby benpandaae86 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:19 pm

I ran my keg 50l boiler with reflux head and extension tower with turbo classic yesterday. (My last t c tpw next)
i got 1.5l of cloudy heads (possible puking) 7l@70% 5l@59% and a further 3.5l i kept as tales but my lil reflux was putting out at 3l a hr is this to fast??
how do i slow it down?

In future i will probably use the pot still on the keg boiler and then run the reflux on my 25l boiler or will the pot do a good enough job on tpw that it wont need to be redistilled
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Re: collection speed and possible puking

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:30 pm

Less power going in ,less gas or smaller element or get a power controller,and get rid of the plastic output hose replace with silicon or copper line ,My opinion is your still is to small for ya boiler ,they were designed for the 25lt boiler.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby benpandaae86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 am

Yeah i have already got rid of the plastic tube the sparky at work is going to make a power controller for me

I was thinking of using the pot on the keg for striping runs and dropping back to the reflux for a 2nd distilliation

Or am i better off running the pot on the keg and taking bigger cuts
benpandaae86

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:07 pm

Yeah strip in the keg with the pot ,then run slowely thru the reflux on the 25lt boiler,those small stiils are allways gunna be slow,most go bigger and taller due the time it takes to put a 45lt run thru.If it takes 6hours thru 25lt boiler with the reflux you could allmost double it for the keg.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby benpandaae86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Thanks hillzabilly Im looking at getting another keg and 60l fermenter off a mate and ill look at building a 3" or 4" bubbler (glass would be awesome) ive got some copper pipe starting at 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 1", 2" and 3" so i can either make bubble plates or plates with bubble caps i dont have a oxy set but ive read and looked into tig welding copper
benpandaae86

Postby Plumby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:43 pm

I have the same set up as you but on the original 25 litre boiler and i constantly collect 2.3-2.5 litres @ 92% off a tpw and my output is always either a fast drip or a stream no thicker than a toothpick.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby benpandaae86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:03 pm

Cool im able to put mine back on the 25 liter boiler which i did yesterday and it will stay there untill i have built a bigger still
benpandaae86

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:33 pm

THey may be small but at least you will have something ta drink while ya get ya build under way,my opinion would be ta go for the 4inch bubbler as an owner of one and by the sheer volume of others who have ,and the amount of gear available from FSD ,if your building skills are not good you can buy the parts you canot make.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

Postby benpandaae86 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Cheers hillzabilly im gonna get a 2nd keg and start from there.i will be looking at inverting the keg and putting in a large fill port with a couple of macs finest elements i was looking at 3" but a 4 would be better and on amazon i saw the coleman replacent glass for $9 a peice plus del im still getting my head around some of terms

There is a lot of great builds to get inspiration from i can get stainless steel and fittings cheap but i would love a glass unit with either glass ports or full build like this and last months featured members build they are works of art
benpandaae86

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:22 pm

Thats the same problem I had after joining the forum ,it fairly opened my mind to the possibillities,whatever you decide ta build make sure it will give ya what ya need ,thats the best thing about Macs moduela stills ,you can have three stills in one ,I still have the little blue essencia still under the bench just to remind me of where i started.Your quality will get better for sure as well what ever you are makin.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:26 pm

And yes we love pics ,here is a nice glasser.cheers hillzabilly
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Where the fuck did you find that pic, Billy? :scared-eek:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Hours spent on GOOGLE glass distilling apparatus,first one I ever seen with a glass boiler,cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby benpandaae86 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:09 pm

Love your work hillzabilly that bubbler is awesome good find

I cut 7 peicez of 3/4 copper today for a r/c then foumd out that i had 3" copper at home and not 4 "

Also cut some of the tubes for a 500 mm 2" p/c
benpandaae86

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:09 pm

Check out Kicka's build it looks like his deflag is 3inch ta me. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6687&start=60 cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Postby benpandaae86 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Yeah i a look thanks would i need 5/8 copper tube then or just use 6 3/4 tubes instead of 7
benpandaae86

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Ya may have to ask Kicka ,but from what I can see he got 7 by 3/4 tubes in ,it looks tight but shit the guy seems to have acces to some full on tools and it sure is a fine build .Some of Macs early builds used 3inch RC .If you search through (yeah I know sorry no instant answers ) them I am sure you will find an answer .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products