Really, really confused. Nice output from HBS

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: Really, really confused. Nice output from HBS

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:23 pm

Mate forget the quality for a moment ,my small HBS still and 25lt boiler became redundent after the 4inchstill and18gal keg boiler because of one major reason SPEED ,I now get four times as much for the same fuss,quality is allways in the operator's hands it will grow with experience, an experienced stiller will be able to get a better than average result with basic equipment compared to a novice.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Irritable » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Absolutely agreed - and I procured my 18 gal keg last night to move myself in the same direction...
After I take rigid cuts, after 5 hours run time, I do have what I perceive as a nice product...but not enough to fill a demijohn once cut...
I think you just answered my unasked question of 4 vs 2 inch, my wife says size doesnt matter - clearly it does :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Si
Irritable

equipment: Super Reflux that aint so super but aint so reflux :)

Postby wildburkey » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:34 pm

:text-+1: Hillzbilly, I'm sick of messing around with a 25L boiler although it has been a great introduction to the hobby. Good luck with the build Si.
wildburkey

equipment: Still Spirits Super Reflux :-(

Postby andybear » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:55 pm

:text-+1: I agree too with Hillzbilly and wildb, I got no regets buying the T500, but equally no regrets selling it once my bubbler was on the sceen.
But like si said, I too, as a novice would like to know how good is good. I've only made one batch that I'm proud of atm and that was 4 months ago. Haven't tasted the last 2 batches. But I'd love to compare mine (Rum) with someone in my area that has been stilling for a few years.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby MickC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:25 pm

Exsitable wrote:
MickC wrote:I call BS......

As would have I, had I not seen, tasted, smelt along with a few others.
Si.

Pffft stilll calling BULLSHIT !!!
MickC

equipment: The little 5lt ones you get from a home brew shop :(

Just built a 3" Boka :)

Postby Irritable » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:27 pm

As a newbie, the thing that kind of threw me was that i was reading a LOT from threads about how to produce a good product. The consensus being that certain things were deadset no GO's - now I wonder what is true, what is half true, what is just word of sheep. I HAVE experienced a more heady, acetone type flavour from the turbo yeast I was using, with the carbon - but there are a lot of variants that I had written off because of also following the sheep. I know the HBS are out to make money...but...I don't know, I'm a cynical bastard at times.
Si.
Irritable

Postby Irritable » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:33 pm

MickC wrote:
Exsitable wrote:

Si.

Really couldn't give a shit tbh - we r all entitled to an opinion and you have expressed yours twice now.
Si.
Irritable

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Thats what its all about at times for me ,if the home production of spirit was legal ,then being able to have proper tasteings and testing.Would make growth in many area,s like quality and safety a lot easier and would promote the use of Quality Equipment.The site is part of the only way to that goal .An air still may suit your needs or something bigger might I encourage people to practice their right to choice,but stay safe donot underestimate the risks and donot overestimate your ability.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby andybear » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:39 pm

Looks like you need to do some more research si. I wish I could help giving you a taste of good stuff too, but I need this as much as you do. Personally I got a problem serving plonk to family and friends that I don't know what the hell some factory put into my cordial essence to make it taste good. And I do like some of it too. But I am very comfortable using the knowledge I've learn't here to make what I consider a safe drink that taste different but still very good. Your call si.
andybear

equipment: T500 has been retired and the 4" glass bubbler, has been christened. With 50 litre inverted keg, two 2400watt elements, 100mm sight glass and 100mm column connection and 1/2" drain. And all resting on a hexagonal frame with lockable castor wheels.

Postby MickC » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:42 pm

Exsitable wrote:
MickC wrote:
Exsitable wrote:

Si.

Really couldn't give a shit tbh - we r all entitled to an opinion and you have expressed yours twice now.
Si.

Yep :teasing-neener: thrice now
MickC

equipment: The little 5lt ones you get from a home brew shop :(

Just built a 3" Boka :)

Postby Sam. » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:55 pm

Right, lets not let this turn into a shit fight.

Exsitable, you have been here for less than a month. I wouldn't even consider drinking one of my brown spirits that has been oak for that time.

I think you may be getting a bit excited a bit quick about all this (you did choose a correct name then I guess..).
If you reckon that we all have it wrong here then there is a simple test. Put down a turbo wash and a TPW or any nuetrel wash here side by side in the same conditions, then run them through the still exactly the same and see the difference for yourself.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the first sentence of the title of this thread.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Irritable » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:07 pm

Cheers Sam.
The reason I wrote "I am confused", is because I HAVE already done as you have suggested. I CANNOT get good results like this guy can. That's why I am posting this - because I doubt many ppl can, BUT I'd like to alert ppl it can be done.

I have never inferred that the site contributors have it wrong, but I do wonder if closed off minds might be missing an opportunity. That is all. If I can save a week off a ferment and get great results, why not? If i can increase an output by a slightly different(frowned upon?) method, why not? If we can all learn something, that might not necessarily go with the flow - is that not a good thing?
I may have only been here for a month, but in my half century on this planet, I've tried a couple of drinks, I have seen a lot of stilling and tried some absolute rocket fuels that NASA would of rejected. I've also tried some luxury high end drinks and this one...is up there.

Sam, you seem a pretty fair individual - pm me your contact details, ill call you, give me a postal address and ill arrange to send you a sample at my expense. You report back.

Si.
Irritable

Postby Sam. » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:32 pm

Mate try whatever you think is going to make the best gear you can, even post it here for people to read and try, if it's any good people will report likewise ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Irritable » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:55 pm

Isnt that what I was posting? That someone had made a damn good product, how he had made it and what steps he took...anyways. Ill take the experience - and use it to progress my own learnings, retaining an open mind. Not that ill be returning to turbos ina hurry, but i won't be completely dismissive of them or small hbs stillunits quite so quickl...especially where experience and longevity is present.
Si
Irritable

Previous

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products