The standard turbo in an air still ... cuts?

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

The standard turbo in an air still ... cuts?

Postby Ronker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi all,

Ok first pls dont flame me for doing a turbo,

I have a TPW going nicely, and it WILL be my way ahead, Ive read heaps on here n will do double distill, cuts etc.

BUT

I did get one pack of turdbo free with the still, so was gonna run it, rather than just chuck it out.

Now the std instructions dont tell you to throw ANY away, no foreshots, no heads, which is a worry.

Can anyone advise me on best way to run this one turdbo wash properly in an air still, I promise its my only one!

EG should I toss first 100ml, then run XXXXml , then poss rerun it again, or just carbon filter after?

I just cant see sense in throwing it out, I'll NEVER buy more, but if nothing else it should give me a bench mark as to how much improved the TPW is.

Hopefully you will see my reasoning for a one off.

Cheers
Ronker

equipment: Pure Distilling - 'Spirit Maker' Reflux Rig
Pure Distilling - Pot Still

Re: The standard turbo in an air still ... cuts?

Postby Doubleuj » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:36 pm

I'd go for it mate, yes turbos taste like crap but you need to know what crap is in order to know what quality is.
I don't know much about the air still but double distill and cuts would be universal.
Yes, probably throw the first 150ml or so from the strip runs to get your low wines and then dilute the low wines to 40% abv or less and run through again.
Go as slow as possible with as much reflux at the start as you can, without a amp controller you'd have to just run more water I assume. Take small cuts, in 200ml jars or so. Try to taste the heads vs hearts vs tails.
Good luck :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Oh, then throw it all down the drain :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:25 pm

this is what I had in my folder for turdbo & a diagram to take cuts when you do a decent wash (13MB) :happy-partydance:

https://www.adrive.com/public/fGBS33/Ai ... turdbo.rar

do you really have to run the turdbo? :puke-huge:
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Postby Ronker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:20 pm

beardrinkshomebrew wrote:this is what I had in my folder for turdbo & a diagram to take cuts when you do a decent wash (13MB) :happy-partydance:

Well guess its not essential, but why would you just throw it away, I know its not the best, but since its a freebie so to speak, although sure i paid in price. I have TPW on go n that will be my way fwd, just gotta use this up n have the one turbo experience.

Surely its not gonna make us all crook ffs??

Thanks for d/l link

I'll have a read

cheers
Ronker

Postby Ronker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:29 pm

Ronker wrote:
beardrinkshomebrew wrote:this is what I had in my folder for turdbo & a diagram to take cuts when you do a decent wash (13MB) :happy-partydance:

Well guess its not essential, but why would you just throw it away, I know its not the best, but since its a freebie so to speak, although sure i paid in price. I have TPW on go n that will be my way fwd, just gotta use this up n have the one turbo experience.

Surely its not gonna make us all crook ffs??

Thanks for d/l link

I'll have a read

cheers

Thanks,

yeah seen most of that, but even the doc refers to a 25ltr batch

I'm asking about the initial 10ltr turbo batch.

The instructions say to run n get 700ml off then dilute to 40%

however I'm not comfortable NOT dumping any??

or cos its turbo n full of chemicals do you REALLY not need to ditch any??

I'm happy to carbon filter, just wanna use the darn stuff up as best as possible..
Ronker

Postby beardrinkshomebrew » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Ronker wrote:
beardrinkshomebrew wrote:Surely its not gonna make us all crook ffs??

whatever :violence-stickwhack:
beardrinkshomebrew

equipment: .....................

Postby warramungas » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:53 pm

Hey, Its your time, liver and money mate.
I did turbo for years and years. Probably guessttimate 10 or so. Still have a pack in the fridge I'm saving for a special occasion. Cleaning run when I get my new 4" bubbler. It'll strip the black off tarmac. :laughing-rolling:
You can get drinkable stuff but I mostly use heads and tails from my bourbon washes through my reflux column nowadays to get my neutral.
Definitely make cuts during the spirit run. There will be better stuff in the hearts region. Ditch the heads (will taste sweet and there should be a slow transition between jars) and run the lot through a good carbon filter at around 45%. I wouldn't filter any stuff that came out of the still at less than 40%. Probably stop collecting there if you want to as you're not going to recycle any tails are you?
Then you can experiment with some essences and/or oak to mask the sharp flavour it has. Or better, keep some neutral to do a direct comparison to your next tpw to see the difference.
I drank the stuff for years and though I now know better and probably have a few less teeth to prove it, I was happy enough with it at the time.
Good luck mate.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Zak Griffin » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:52 am

Run it, keep 100ml out of the middle in a jar and compare it to your TPW later on. Drink it if you want, I'd rather snort ants than drink turbo shit though.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products