Venturii effect

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Venturii effect

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:17 am

Hoping someone that knows about this can enlighten me .

In the following pic ( sorry about the midnight texta special ) .A Bunnings pump in a tank ....feeds a PC and on the way back to the tank is a venturii setup .

I really don't understand this principle , but am I correct that the tube in question would have a sucking effect on it or would water be blown out it .
If it does have a sucking effect ,is there some angle or diameter or whatever that makes this happen ?

If there is a sucking effect ,would it intake water or just air ?

CCF03072014_00000.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Re: Venturii effect

Postby Matt_Pl » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:00 am

Hi Yummy,

Just curious what you are trying to achieve with your venturi mate. I have made a few of them to airate water for back yard aquaponics systems and ponds. The reason is to minimise power consumption by using the water pump and a venturi to airate the water so I dont require additional power for air pumps etc.

Venturis work on creating a low pressure within the T - piece of the join between the main stream of liquid and the air line, as the fluid passes across the T-piece a low pressure is created, sucking in air into the fluid flow. Normally the air line is cut on and angle to look like a spear ( it helps to create a low pressure area as the fluid passes around the spear.)

Another example of a venturi is the "feed and weed" premixed containers that click onto your garden hose. As the water flows out the nozzle it drags up chemical which is mixed with the water.

Read the following link It may help :handgestures-thumbupleft:

http://leisure.prior-it.co.uk/venturi-p ... tion.shtml

Let me know what your trying to acheive and Im happy to help you.

Cheers,
Matt_Pl

equipment: 4" FSD Neutraliser, custom made 50 litre SS Keg Boiler powered by 4800 killer wasps.

Postby pulsetech » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:24 am

Looks just like an air bleed to allow the pipe to drain when the pump is off.
Is the tank sealed ? (a totally sealed system apart from your venturi)
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby punchy21 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:27 am

You will need a shit load of water flow through the tee piece to create a decent vacuum to draw water or whatever you're using up the tube. It is normally done with compressed air...

I have used this type at work for drawing samples up a hose - http://www.smcusa.com/top-navigation/ca ... aspx/29416

And also a different style one off eBay for a retic setup but never quite worked properly, still got it somewhere...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:56 pm

Google Bernoulli injector to get all the technical info you can eat
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:37 pm

Thanks fellas..there are some good links and suggestions there

OK well all this has to do with my Adjustable Reflux condenser .

In a normal setup ,the outputs from the two condensers are Y connected and feed back to the tank
This works well because both condensers are sealed and under pressure ...a valve on the output sets the flow .

CCF04072014_00000.jpg

Now with My RC , it has a valve on the input , it is not sealed and the water flows out the outlet pipe ,the height of which sets the level of water in the Condenser shell.So I will have to have a separate return line which needs to flow by gravity back to the tank .

CCF04072014_00001.jpg

So... I was wondering if the high flow through the PC would cause enough suction to allow the output from my RC to empty into the same Return line and also if the tank is higher than the RC , lift the return flow ?

CCF04072014_00002.jpg

Clear as Mud

And Heres the Adjustable RC

Drawing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

Postby SBB » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:48 pm

Yummy I think ya making life difficult for your self, Bung a normal deflag on it, get it going, make a pile of Rum , then work on getting the adjustable job hooked up later at your leisure.
By the way ......the adjustable ones a fine looking bit of copper work ;-)
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:24 pm

SBB wrote:Yummy I think ya making life difficult for your self, Bung a normal deflag on it, get it going, make a pile of Rum , then work on getting the adjustable job hooked up later at your leisure.

Yeah ,you are right ...just all the bubbler building got me thinking about it.,it sitting there and all ,..but I have enough to worry about with the basic design ATM :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:51 pm

Well I just couldn't help it if I found just the thing I was looking for .
I have borrowed one to see if it will do what I wanted .but from a quick test today I think it will .

Its one of these. They are vacuum filter pumps and create quite a suction on the side arm when water flows through them .

Vaccuum Pump inline.jpg

they also come with a 1/2" BSP input...they cost around $30-35

Vacuum Pump BSP.jpg
Yummyrum

Postby C2H6O » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:57 am

I've got nothing helpful to add, but just had a read through your adjustable RC thread, have to say it’s pretty bloody awesome how you've taken a concept and made it into a working design.
Very keen to see the finished product, sure it’s going to be a very unique still.

Nice one!!
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:36 am

On my set up the water goes in the bottom of the pc out the top then to the rc via a flow control valve then out I have perfect control
I have 2 thermometers one in the rc and one above it on each run I know exactly where I am at , in a run all I have to adjust is the rc temp
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby djfrestyla » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Would this work in a column, to create a vacuum ?
May be a handy idea to get higher %.
djfrestyla

equipment: Nixon Stone, Valve reflux on a 55L electric keg (retired)
2"Pot Still (retired)
4"Copper Bubbler, W/Lava Packed section.

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:04 pm

djfrestyla wrote:Would this work in a column, to create a vacuum ?
May be a handy idea to get higher %.

and a lower boiling point I think
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Yummyrum » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:39 pm

BourbonJunkie wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:Well I just couldn't help it .......

I like your thinking Yummy. Is your concept that the fluid level would be variable to regulate the vapour knockdown capacity of the condenser?

You have me thinking now, and I was looking at how you could more simply implement the idea. I like the idea of bringing a bent pipe in from the side and being able to rotate the pipe to change the level. You could have a small disk fixed to the weir and a handle fixed to the pipe to give a rotation angle/fluid depth readout. You would use your pipe venturi to suck the water from the weir...

Good stuff BourbonJunkie ....I had a LOL moment when I saw your pic ..you see you have just cracked it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

When I first got the inspiration for this it was a pic like yours with the handle adjusting height of water in RC. At the time ,I could not see how it could possibly work.....so I came up with this elaborate system ....which has now got even more complicated ................then I saw you pic and just realized the vacuum pump would have worked on the original idea and passably saved me a brain fart I didn't need to have

Thanks C2H6O, there was way too much thought went into this and possibly for no really advantage ...oh well,its all fun :D
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 am

djfrestyla & P3T3rPan, excellent thinking guys :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Indeed, why not make use of the water flow through the PC to make a higher ABV .....(although it will go back to Azeo afterwards )

How this is implemented would be interesting .....I guess easy option is a jar on the end of the condenser with the vacumm connected to the side so that the condensed Alc collects in the bottom of the jar .....but how do you separate it into small proportions to do cuts is the challenge in my mind :think:

Is this Idea more suited to a VM type of packed column
Yummyrum

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:20 pm

Gave this pump a try .

Hooked up to my 300w bunnings submersible pump ...it had around 5 liters / min flowing through it .

it did pump water ......at just under a liter / min not sure if it would be able to keep up with the flow through a RC under full reflux.

Gunna 026.jpg

Gunna 028.jpg
Yummyrum

Return to Hardware Research & Development