Quick disconnect hoses

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Quick disconnect hoses

Postby tenorbrew » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi Folks,

I’d like to be able to quickly and easily connect and disconnect my condenser hoses to make storage and set up easier.

I don’t want to muck around with hose clamps and thought garden hose fittings might work, but cant find anything suitable in Bunnings.

I can find plenty of female hose fittings, but the only male fittings they have are the ones with a 1” thread you screw on to your garden tap rather than a 12mm barb.

Those of you who have quick disconnect hoses, what do you use and where did you get it?

Cheers,

Tenorbrew
tenorbrew

equipment: 50L electric keg, 2" pot still. Building a 3" CCVM.

Re: Quick disconnect hoses

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:12 pm

My local Home hardware store had some 1/2"bsp to 1/2" solder in fittings so I used them on my RC and PC then I use the Nylex Orange ones as I found the bunnings crap leaked too often.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:25 pm

I use 1/2' bsb air quick connect fittings which screw straight into stainless braided hose from bunnings.
I have only had one stick open once and that was after 12months of use.
Bit of silicone lubricating spray does the trick. Mine are just nickel plated but for more cash you can get stainless ones..
Last edited by bluc on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby db1979 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:53 pm

I've got 16 mm clear pvc tubing from the gardening section of bunnings and connect it with the pope brand garden irrigation connectors. I use 1/2" bsp brass male capillaries into my condensers. The pope brand snap sure adapters work great. The tubing needs to be heated (left to sit in hot water for a minute or two) to stretch over the barb fittings but it goes on with a bit of encouragement and is water tight. It's cheap and you can trim the tubing to the length you want so storage is easy. Also I went for the 16 mm option with 19 mm adapters because the smaller tubing (12 mm) was affecting my pump head pressure. I also tried other set-ups with the braided line but found they suffered from the same problem.

I have my RC and PC connected together in one unit so all the plumbing stays connected to it but I disconnect it from my water reservoir and radiator for storage. These connectors could easily be used for plumbing the cooling for completely modular condensers and detach for easy storage. I've found the adapters require very little effort to connect and disconnect.

Anyway, here's a photo showing my plumbing (column looks to be on a bit of a lean but I think it's just a camera effect)
15218845678470.jpg

Another benefit with the clear tubing is that you can see if your cooling lines are filling up with air, which happens as the condensers start knocking down vapour (dissolved air in the cooling water bubbles out at higher temp and gets trapped in cooling lines, as well as condensers - always run condensers in at bottom, out at top for this reason).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby orcy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I use 1/2 inch camlocks. They come in stainless or plastic. Works a treat.
orcy

equipment: Old style T500 style still. honestly, I dont even remember who made it anymore
4 inch soon to be modular pot.

Postby PeterC » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:00 pm

I use the 1/2 inch click on garden hose connectors with a male to male adapter in the middle where I want to make a disconnection like this https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-13m ... g_p3110390 but they are not that good and leak unless they hang straight. Camlocks are better but I have a friend who uses hoselink fittings on his caravan and now his garden and he says they are great. You get them here https://www.hoselink.com.au/hose-connectors The hose joiner set for $9.90 looks alright. I think I have seen these on some of the forum pics.
Regards,
Peter C.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:07 pm

G-day mate ,you could get one of these and push the garden hose over one end and secure with a couple of zip ties,as PeterC mentioned ifn you can set up connectors running verticaly they will not leak compared to being horizontal,and when ever I build now I will make sure coolant pipes exit the part and then head down verticaly then solder one of the same joiners trimed down ta suit the pipe to the end ,I use brass garden connectors and replace the o rings each year .cheers hillzabilly ;-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by hillzabilly on Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Professor Green » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:01 pm

orcy wrote:I use 1/2 inch camlocks. They come in stainless or plastic. Works a treat.

I use stainless camlocks too. The downside to them is their weight.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby tenorbrew » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:54 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys.
Great to see what other folks are using. I really like the look of those Hoselink fittings.

Cheers,

Tenorbrew
tenorbrew

equipment: 50L electric keg, 2" pot still. Building a 3" CCVM.

Postby Hooky » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:54 pm

G'day Tenorbrew, not sure if this would suit your needs or not. I used one of these from Bunnings
https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-12mm ... r_p3110585
You undo 2 of the fittings & they are a very neat fit into 1/2" copper pipe (which I used for my Liebig)

Cheers,

Hooky
Last edited by Hooky on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hooky

equipment: A 2" Pelican on top of a 25L Boiler with a 1m Liebig

Return to Hardware Research & Development