Dedicated water tank and pump - advice needed!

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Dedicated water tank and pump - advice needed!

Postby PeterC » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:37 pm

My submersible pump just blew up. I tried one of those Seekco ones above and it worked really well except for that I put it on top of my IBC and needed to prime it with garden hose to get it to work and as soon as I turned it off it would run back without a non-return valve. I don't put my return hoses back to inside the IBC as I like to see the water running back to ensure everything is working and I can monitor the flow rate. This pump has a cast iron body and I also noticed a bit of corrosion starting when leaving it wet for a few days. It also only just had enough flow rate for my needs. I tried a submersible pond pump and this looks pretty good. All plastic, rated for continuous running and up to 60C water temperature. I am getting 2 from eBay for $30 each compared to the Aquapro ones from Bunnings being $149. They are only 45W each compared to an Ozito 350W pump and much more quiet. Will use one for each condenser as dedicated units. Just need to get my hoses sorted again. Garden hoses tend to flatten out and restrict flow. Silicone is expensive. Rubber lined hose is the most kink resistant so am going to try Nylex NeverKink Pro and see how this works.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg with 2x2000W elements. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column + 500mm packed section just learning to drive. Plus other bits.

Postby Bullrout » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:13 am

i run the 350w bunnings pump, no problems so far
Bullrout

equipment: T 500 with a copper condenser

Postby Bullrout » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:20 am

hasnt got the best power but it works on the 5 star boka
Bullrout

Postby Bullrout » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:36 am

plus i just get a pond tablet from bunnings aMON TOXIX ONE
Bullrout

Postby Bullrout » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:37 am

WAS THE SHAPE OF A FROG
Bullrout

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development