Alternative to slanted plate?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Alternative to slanted plate?

Postby Remme » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:11 pm

Hi fellas,

Had a bit of an idea while attempting to build a 2" Boka head.

In the pics below

1" tee cut down to fit inside 2" pipe

1" pipe comes through 2" - 1" reducer and joins to tee

Will drill small holes on the side of the tee to help vapour to come through.

2" pipe goes over the top with the coil inside pretty much touching the top of the tee.

Reducer acts like a collecting cup with take off line at the bottom of the cup

Once liquid gets high enough inside the cup it travels back down to the centre of the packing

Thoughts??

IMG_0025.JPG

IMG_0026.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Remme

equipment: 3" stainless Boka on a keg boiler

Re: Alternative to slanted plate?

Postby warramungas » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:55 pm

It looks like it'll work. I used a coupling and soldered in a plate with a pre soldered 1" length of pipe bang in the middle. Take off was soldered to the side just above the plate so collected from the pool. Overflow went back down the 1" tube. And it joined both sides of tube perfectly. Coil above, column below.
I put a small 'hat' (folded, non watertight cone of copper) over mine to prevent any excess drippage but wish I'd thought of that tee idea.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Flowerpot » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:01 pm

Been done successfully before see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8944&start=20#p172900 but personally I'd cut some big holes in the side of the tee as it looks pretty restrictive as is.
Flowerpot

equipment: bokakob, Krystal the ruff"n"ready pot still/stripper

Postby scythe » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:42 pm

There is also the double reducer type, which this sort of is.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby sp0rk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:11 am

I'd trim the side of the tee back a little further, you'll see in my thread they're back from the side of the column by about 5mm
You don't want to impede flow too much
Also make sure you don't solder the tee in too low, otherwise you don't get enough depth for the output to flow correctly
I was worried at first mine might be a tad too low, but I get JUST enough depth to flow decently
Also, I put my thermo below the tee, so I cut half of the tube lengthways for about 1.5", so there is a shield from falling condensate and the thermo is exposed to rising vapour
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby sp0rk » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:16 am

I tried to cut the tee on an angle, so that the top reached almost all the way to the edge of the pipe, whereas the bottom would have been cut right back to the throat of the tee
didn't end up that way though, but I don't think it matters too much, as long as you cut them far back enough to ensure decent flow
I think this might be a good idea for you, leave the top side of the tee as it is, but use a dremel or hacksaw to cut the bottom side back as far as possible, to increase potential flow as much as possible
So it looks like this
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby hillzabilly » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:35 am

I would ,push the 1inch pipe further up then solder a 1inch cap onto it and drill several holes thru the end of the 1inch pipe.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby scythe » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:31 am

In stead of a hood over the bottle neck section why not move the hood up to the condenser coil.
Make up a cone or dome and solder it to the bottom of the coil so it directs condensed fluids to the sides of the column instread of the middle, especially if you have a cold finger as well.

Would also help direct rising vapours to the coil reducing the chance of laminar flow up the middle of the coil and out the top hole.
scythe

Postby hillzabilly » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:18 pm

Nice bit of lateral thinkin there Scythe,at 4.16 am in the morning too.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby scythe » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:26 am

0630 over here in the NSW.
scythe

Return to Hardware Research & Development