Boiler -cost to put a lid on a pot

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Boiler -cost to put a lid on a pot

Postby Minpac » Wed May 17, 2017 7:52 am

Hey all,

I'm looking at a ~200L stainless pot that could be a wonderful boiler. It's about 600mm in diameter. A few questions:

Has anyone gotten a welder to put a lid on a pot?
Domed or flat?
How much did it cost you?
Is there anything you'd do differently next time?

Thanks!
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Re: Boiler -cost to put a lid on a pot

Postby coffe addict » Wed May 17, 2017 9:50 am

Where's the 200L pot coming from and do you know the wall thickness, reason I ask is alot of the Hbs pots aren't thick enough and would struggle with the weight of the still head.

If it's comparable to a keg 1.6mm or thicker then you might be ok with welding a stainless plate onto the top of it. If you do go this route search at scrap metal yards till you find a suitable piece of stainless.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Minpac » Wed May 17, 2017 9:59 am

Hi,

I was going to buy it on an auction. Not sure what it's original purpose was, it's estimated to be 4-5mm thick. I've got a spare keg, do you think cutting the sides up for use as a lid would work as plate or is it too thin?
Minpac

equipment: 2" pot, 2" VM

Postby coffe addict » Wed May 17, 2017 10:19 am

There'd be lots of work getting a keg flattened but it would be strong enough for 4in not sure about 6in still.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby hillzabilly » Wed May 17, 2017 3:24 pm

A 45' cone would be my suggestion out of 1.6-2mm stainless will make it work with a 6inch ferrule on top,sorry cant advise on cost ,try ringing a few stainless workshops with dimensions may give ya a ball park figure,but donnot forget all the other options like element ferrules thermo mounts or fill ports and legs or supports,funny thing is wether its a 50lt keg or bigger these costs will be the same but the practicality and volume of a big boiler wins for me every time,you can still do a small run in a big boiler but ya cannot do a big run in a small one.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Return to Hardware Research & Development