Pickling Brass

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Pickling Brass

Postby SBB » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:33 pm

Found this post by Pintoshine today on AD and thought it was worth having here.......I dont know if the same applies to brass fittings imported to Australia or not.
http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=5736
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Pickling Brass

Postby MacStill » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:14 pm

:clap:

I like this post by Pint.

Wonder if anyone would like to research how our laws compare here in Oz ???
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Icarus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:00 am

This is one question I can answer with certainity. I posted the info in the Safety Discussion section a few weeks ago.

All brass fittings made or imported into Australia for use with potable (drinking) and domestic tank water are manufactured in accordance with Australian Standard AS3688. It allows a maximum lead content of 1%. I confirmed this with a major Australian manufacturer. Drainage and waste water brass fittings have a far higher lead content.

Cheers,
Icarus
Icarus

equipment: Various

Postby SBB » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:22 pm

I did read that post somewere Icarus.....and now cant find it......a link to that post in this thread may help others looking for that information.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:38 pm

SBB wrote:I did read that post somewere Icarus.....and now cant find it......a link to that post in this thread may help others looking for that information.

If yous can link us up to that thread I'll merge the post into this topic ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Icarus » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:02 pm

This is the orignal thread where I posted the info orignally.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1012

Cheers,
Icarus
Icarus

equipment: Various

Return to Hardware Research & Development