i have a new tool

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

i have a new tool

Postby texta » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:09 pm

well it maybe if it works otherwise its a paper weight . i just finished making this thing an idea i got a few nights ago .it can be used mounted in the vise on the 2 milled flats and useing the bolt m20x1.5 or if i had a press it could be used in the press without the need for the bolt ( a press is on my want list ) .anyway some time in the next few days i may get a chance as in time to try it out .
oh yeah should add the minor dia on the bottom half is 2"OD and the recess in the upper half is a few thou over 2" ID.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
texta

equipment: non at all

Re: i have a new tool

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Looks good, what ever it is :laughing-rolling:

Is it for cutting holes or flaring pipe? Any more detail for us slow blokes :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby texta » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:35 pm

the more i think about it and look at it i dont think it will have enough grunt useing the bolt . but it could still be used in a press or on an anvil type device with a hammer and would not leave hammer marks all over the job . ya getting the idea yet .
texta

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:43 pm

Easy flange rings?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby texta » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:52 pm

give that man a prize . yeah you got it . i am hoping to be able to make them nice and flat without a heap of hammer dings and should need less work to get them to match up maybe without sanding and or filing . have to wait til i get a few soldered up to see if it works or not .
texta

Postby woodduck » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:05 pm

It should work ok, the 1/4" is annealed so should be soft enough :handgestures-thumbupleft: the worst part will be where the hard solder join is, it just may need a tap with the hammer in that spot.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby scythe » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Probably best to use that in a vice t squash it rather than using a shifter to crank it down.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Dig Brinker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:04 am

Or read the whole ezy flange thread & find out that flaring the ends isn't required :scared-eek:
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 am

How about a Porta Power Jack.
wynnum1

Postby scythe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:47 am

Got to have a way or restraining the porta power jack.
As he said he has no press, i wouldnt use a porta power in a vice, even a small 10t cylinder could break the vice.

If this one does not work maybe make one that could be hit with a hammer, sort of like a seal/bearing installing dolly.

Also if they get stuck on the mandrel just warm them up with a lighter or hair drier and they will expand enough to pop off.
scythe

Postby db1979 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:04 am

Dig Brinker wrote:Or read the whole ezy flange thread & find out that flaring the ends isn't required :scared-eek:

I think he is going that option. The tool is just to flatten out the 1/4" rings so they can then be soldered onto the end of 2" pipe.
I think it looks good, well done texta, give it a go and let us know how it works.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby texta » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:54 am

the bolt pulls the pipe nice and flat before being soldered at the ends no problems at all just tried it . however the gap did grow in the tool even though it is still a neat fit on a 2" pipe . i wanted to try and flatten it before solder because i thought it might be flatter and no solder would end up inside the pipe . so the thing went nice and flat but it shrunk so i had the pipe wound to tight when i cut it of the coil maybe . or maybe if i just spot solder a tad on the OD of the pipe before i press may stop it from shrinking in diameter .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
texta

Postby texta » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 am

trial number 2 an improvment by putting a slight dab of 15% SS on the OD . only problem now is it was very tight to get off the spigot which caused a few marks . so solution chuck it back in the lathe and put a very slight taper on the spigot . the good thing though is that the spigot is dead nuts 2" so the ring is a neat fit on the pipe ,infact needs a little tap to get it in place and once there it stays there , should be easy to solder in place .
texta

Postby scythe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:22 am

Nice.
Make sure you really clean that silver solder really well before you try and soft solder it as its wont want to stick unless its spotless.
scythe

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:35 am

Ring certainly looks nice and evenly flattened. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby texta » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:59 am

bluc wrote:Ring certainly looks nice and evenly flattened. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

yeah but for the couple of marks where i had to lever it off its good . but i have now turned a slight taper on the spigot so next time a sharp rap upside down and the ring should fall off the die and no marks , thats the plan anyway .
texta

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:46 pm

Sounds like a plan :handgestures-thumbupleft: Another bloke on here not long ago made a die for making complete ferrules in a press that would be very cool also..
bluc
Site Donor

Postby scythe » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:14 pm

Yeah that was me.
If they are getting stuck just warm the copper up a bit and it will expand enough to slip off, its what i had to do.
scythe

Postby bluc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:23 pm

Bloke I was thinking of also used pistons for sight glasses. Was that you? Thought it was a fairly new member..

Found it http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10614
Hey scythe do you have any pics of your press die for the ezy flanges?
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:32 pm

For what it's worth, I much prefer the folded pipe style of easy flange... A little bit more work but a much stronger and better sealing flange, in my experience.

These rings look good!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development