Bubbler design

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Bubbler design

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi lads and lassies,

Just wanted to run an idea I have been thinking about for a while now by you. Firstly let me warn you that you are about to be blown away by my impressive paint skills, but I digress.

anyway, basically, I am thinking about bubble caps, and how can we get more bubble out of a single bubble cap. So I was thinking of angled sides, like a flat topped cone, with the downcomer in the centre. Cue impressive drawing...

I guess the idea being the vapour has more area to escape on the horizontal plane, and it will push against the liquid that is falling toward the outer edge and making it's way toward the middle of the bubbler.

All based off a 4 inch glasser.

Thoughts?
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Re: Bubbler design

Postby EziTasting » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:27 pm

Ok, so it could be my mental state, or your exceedingly complicated drawings... but which bit is the bubble cap? The small orange bit or the large blue bit?!?! :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby j0sh2008 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 pm

EziTasting wrote:Ok, so it could be my mental state, or your exceedingly complicated drawings... but which bit is the bubble cap? The small orange bit or the large blue bit?!?! :obscene-drinkingdrunk:

:text-lol: :text-+1:
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:14 am

The cap is the orange thing with black slots and the blue is the reflux, I believe.

I can't see why it wouldn't work, would it work better? Not sure, only one way to find out. There's a bit of work there with building cones but I'd be keen to see it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:12 pm

There is no need to over-complicate the cap design, slanted sides will work the same as vertical sides, but involve a lot more work.

If you think about it the gas will escape the moment it can, this means it will come out the top of the slot, not so much the bottom.
This will push the liquid to the sides of the module anyway.

The reflux difuser is a good idea tho with a centre cap tho.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Yeah, the orange is copper, the blue liquid and white vapor. I see what you mean scyth, I wonder if the slots were different lengths to distribute the bubbles to different radiuii.

I know the cones will be more difficult, but I was thinking they would look really cool. I was thinking of making a die and pressing them, would that work?

It is way over complicated but that’s what the mess in my head translates to :))
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm

If slots were different lengths the bubbles would just come out the bigger slots because that is the easiest path for them.

Pressing them out of flat plate would be easier than forming bending them.
It would be different to look at and if that is what you want go for it.
scythe

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:55 pm

Well that would be enough lol. I was thinking of flattening. Out some pipe and pressing that. If gas flow were high enough, wouldn’t you get the bubbles coming from the full length of the cuts regardless? There would be a point that the longer / higher portion of the cuts couldn’t cope with volume of gas?
ThePaterPiper

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:21 pm

Yeah that would happen, not sure at what power level it would happen tho.
Would be fine on a strip run.
Would it make spirit runs harder?
Would you not get enough distillation cycles to acheive high %ABV?
scythe

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:29 pm

Yeah, I have no idea mate. It might look cool though. Like a wee Scottish space ship :laughing-rolling:
ThePaterPiper

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Or call them kilt caps :laughing-rolling: they look like a big version of the pro caps ta me.cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Psykamaholik » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:51 pm

What about if you had the caps angled inwards towards the bottom and wide at the top? That may give you the little bit of extra resistance and distance through liquid you are looking for?

Side note, you should totally run classes on using paint. You are all over that stuff! :D
Psykamaholik

equipment: Fusel express super reflux still

Postby bluc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Just looks like the other type of cap to me :think:except its tapered instead of straight..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:13 pm

Yeah bluc, it is. Just thought with the taper, it would spread the bubbles over a wider series of radii. Smaller bubbles over a larger area, without drilling a million holes for a perf. plate. Plus, looking for something different visually too.

Psyka, that's an interesting idea, but I wonder if that would make the bubbles re-join? Not sure. Thanks for the recognition on my paint skills though! It is rarely recognised. :laughing-rolling:
ThePaterPiper

Postby Professor Green » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:44 pm

I have no still building qualifications whatsoever so this is a completely uneducated thought but, wouldn't thinner slots and more of them give you more bubbles than fancy shapes?

Also how much of the bubble cap will be visible once the plates are loaded and bubbling like mad?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:18 pm

Functionally I can't see how it would be any different to just running a cap the same size as the OD of your cone cap... 2.5" in a 4" would be about it.

It would look kinda cool, yes, but a whole lot more work involved.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby ThePaterPiper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:31 pm

Yeah, good points Prof. Green, they would completely disappear wouldn't they. and yes, I was aiming to find the thinnest cutting tool I could find for that very reason.

Thanks for the advice re size Zac, I was still pondering that. The work, I don't mind so much as long as I can come up with something that is functional and looks cool. It would be a bit sad to lose sight of them in operation though. That may be the deal breaker.
ThePaterPiper

Postby Bushy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Never mind these blokes mate. You have a novel idea that will work so go for it. Just be sure and post photos. Whether it will work better is neither here nor there. Have a look at Gas ons plate design quirks from a few years ago.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby ThePaterPiper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:30 am

Thanks Bushy. That’s one crazy spider thingy isn’t it! And yes, I think it’s possibly as much about expressing yourself as long as it works. I found some artist copper sheets at the scrappy today, thin enough it will be workable. These bits won’t need any strength, so I think they will be just fine. Anyone used it before?
ThePaterPiper

Postby woodduck » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:48 am

To me they're just a different shaped cap (except the internal downcomer thingy) so I would still run with 1mm wide slot every 5mm. I don't think you would have to make them any thinner or longer :think:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development