Paint Stirrers

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Paint Stirrers

Postby A&O » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:58 pm

So I was down the local Dulux shop for some paint for the shed door and while waiting for the colour to mix, I got to poking about and looking at the accessories in store. I came across their paint stirrers. They had plastic paddles and steel machine stirrers. Obviously the plastic ones are for hand stirring, but the range of steel ones were bare steel, anodised Steele (brass colour finish) and zinc plated steel stirrers.

I’m no metallurgist nor have much experience with still washes. When people use a paint stirrer, is it Stainless Steel?

Also, is zinc plating or anodised steel safe to use in the wash? As long as it’s washed & cleaned obviously and not been used to stir paint.
A&O

equipment: 4" 7 foot Blockhead Column - 5 Plate + 500mm Packed section
50L Converted upside down keg

Re: Paint Stirrers

Postby woodduck » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:01 pm

Not that I'm anything to go by as I'm probably the most unhygienic brewer here but..... my paint stirrer was a painted one. It is now a half rusty manky looking thing. I do spray some sterilizer on it and pick some more loose paint off it before I use it each time. What I'm trying to get at is that I don't find any rusty or off flavors and I don't get infected washes apart from my rum which I don't use this stirrer for anyway. So in my humble opinion (which means very little if you've read the above :laughing-rolling: ) I don't think it will matter what stirrer you use.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby bluc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:29 pm

I use the zinc plated one from bunnings it is holding up well and a clean after each use is about all I do. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby EziTasting » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:47 pm

:laughing-rolling: good one woody! That was fun to read!! :laughing-rolling:

But essentially I, too use a painted paint stirrer!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby coffe addict » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:24 am

Haha we must have the exact same stirrer woodduck!
My drill has been 4makita's so far and the stirrer is doing a fine job
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby warramungas » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:50 am

A&O wrote:So I was down the local Dulux shop for some paint for the shed door and while waiting for the colour to mix, I got to poking about and looking at the accessories in store. I came across their paint stirrers. They had plastic paddles and steel machine stirrers. Obviously the plastic ones are for hand stirring, but the range of steel ones were bare steel, anodised Steele (brass colour finish) and zinc plated steel stirrers.

I’m no metallurgist nor have much experience with still washes. When people use a paint stirrer, is it Stainless Steel?

Also, is zinc plating or anodised steel safe to use in the wash? As long as it’s washed & cleaned obviously and not been used to stir paint.

Are you sure its anodised steel and not anodised aluminium or stainless steel?
Anodised carbon or mild steel would be a specialty product (if you can get it at all). I expect beyond the price of cheap stirrers.
If its anodised aluminium or stainless go for it. Why you would anodise stainless for this application is beyond me but aluminium for sure as it would strengthen it. Native aluminium is fairly soft. An anodised material with some sort of coating should be less reactive than a zinc coating in regular washes but a zinc coating should last a long time as well.
Paints ok but once it gets a scratch and moisture can get under it it slowly peels off over time.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Hardware Research & Development