Pot still with coil condensor. Thoughts?

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Pot still with coil condensor. Thoughts?

Postby stilly_bugger » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:08 pm

I noticed that Pure Distilling has started selling a pot still http://puredistilling.com/the-pure-distilling-pot-still/. It looks like its a small unit cooled with a coil condensor.

I thought I might try to make something similar, though a little bigger. It would be a bit more centrally weighted than a pot with a liebig, and that's a bonus.

Here are some plans:

Pot-with-coil-condensor.gif

Any thoughts? :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by stilly_bugger on Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Re: Pot still with coil condensor. Thoughts?

Postby Kimbo » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi Stilly,
There's no reason why that shouldnt work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby stubbydrainer » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:23 pm

I was thinking of something similar a while ago and I like the concept :handgestures-thumbupleft:
for those on gas the heat coming up would be a bit uncomfortable though, it doesn't seem to venture too far away from the boiler , if you catch my drift

cheers
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby R-sole » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:53 am

The distillate will be steaming hot coming out when stripping and just plain hot when on a spirit run. Makes it hard to use a parrot.

Also, as said, collection point becomes an issue.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stilly_bugger » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:48 am

I hadn't considered the length of the liebig to be one of its virtues because I don't use an open flame as a heat source. Good point.

Good point also about distillate temp. That's another virtue of the liebig: it's "jacket" ensures that distillate and not just vapour comes in contact with a cooled surface. I suspect that might be why someone over at HD attaches a liebig after the coil (which for me would defeat one of the aims of the design: to shift the centre of gravity closer to the boiler).
stilly_bugger

Postby maheel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:58 am

if you make one of those keg cover setups (box over keg) and run electric would go well

but the hot distillate is an issue

i run hot from my boka and dont bother with a parrot on my pot
maybe a simple little air cooled coil or slightly extend output would bring it down enough to be vapor free
maheel

Postby hicup » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Hey stilly bugger, just joined in the last day or so and it gave me access to this area of the forum...
to my surprise, your drawing is exactly what we have made... the design works well and it puts out about 700mls of water per 16 mins using a 50 litre keg and 2200 watt ellement.

The output is a little hot but i am sure this can be overcome
hicup

equipment: 50 litre keg powered by 2200w element output through a 50mm pot head with internal double wound 6.4mm condenser.
Maybe the worlds first glass jar condensered 2 inch bokka hybrid at 1200 mm packed height quadruple wound condenser complete with quick release output line.

Postby stilly_bugger » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:02 pm

hicup wrote:the design works well...The output is a little hot but i am sure this can be overcome

Glad to hear. Actually building one of these is on my to-do list. Might have to bump it up the list now.

I didn't think of the design. I've seen variations of it around the traps. Notably, Pure Distilling released a pot still last year (I think) that is pretty much this design.

As for the warm output, a small air-cooled worm heat exchanger (condenser) might take the edge off.
stilly_bugger

Postby law-of-ohms » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:10 pm

uncanny,

This is what I want to build too!

Might just save up for the www.5stardistilling.com.au gear as it will cost me the same not including my time!
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:49 pm

law-of-ohms wrote:uncanny,

This is what I want to build too!

Might just save up for the www.5stardistilling.com.au gear as it will cost me the same not including my time!

We did a couple of potstill setups and runs yesterday, or Fester did anyway.

They are very impressive and quite cheap as well.

I'll do a post down in the commercial section tommorow. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stilly_bugger » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:03 pm

5Star wrote:We did a couple of potstill setups and runs yesterday, or Fester did anyway.

They are very impressive and quite cheap as well.

Look forward to that post. I had a good look at your website the other night and came up with a modular pot that I'd love, in the style of an old whisky still with a nice copper boil ball and conical lyne arm. One day. Anyway, sorry :text-offtopic: .
stilly_bugger

Return to Hardware Research & Development