Stainless Steel Fermenters

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Stainless Steel Fermenters

Postby invisigoth » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:54 am

Bryan1 wrote:The easy way with the cheap SS coming out of China is stick a magnet on it. SS is non magnetic but the shit coming in is. Think 316 for distilling and nothing else as if a magnet sticks the SS is shit. Also 304 being a lesser grade and as it's all made in China now avoid it like the plague.

that all depends on how it's been worked. most commercial kegs are 304.and don't seem to have a corrosion problem unless contaminated with iron from outside sources like leaving a mild steel bar against them for a while. i have 304 fittings from china that a magnet won't stick to. i have other stainless from china that a magnet won't stick to.my squat pot boiler is made from a tooheys spear keg... which means its *decades* old and not made in china. The centre a magnet won't stick to, the end sections will. this is because of they way they were formed, changing the internal structure of the metal. a magnet is not necessarily the best indicator of quality :-p .
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby scythe » Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:02 pm

Generally kegs are made for 2 grades of stainless.
316 for the actual part the beer touches and 304 for the end bits.

Remember 304 IS food grade stainless.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:11 pm

What about 302.
wynnum1

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development