Mason Jars as thampers or Flavour infusers

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Mason Jars as thampers or Flavour infusers

Postby woodduck » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:46 pm

I'm pretty sure the safety side has been pointed out enough for you to make your own mind up. I can tell you now we as a forum would not condone such a set up. Find another type of thumper, you said you had till next Feb. I would use this time to find or build some stainless or copper thumpers if this is the way you want to go. Take a look through the pot still section, there may be a few in there to give you some ideas.

Personally I can't see how that setup with 12 or so thumpers would even work. The amount of passive reflux on all those jars would be huge and the long arms between them. I would've thought they would fill up in no time? The amount of power you would have to throw at that to get it to run properly would be huge I would imagine? Who knows maybe they work? All I know is I wouldn't like high proof alcohol hanging that far off the ground held by a tin thread especially once full of berries and alcohol.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby db1979 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:01 pm

woodduck wrote:Personally I can't see how that setup with 12 or so thumpers would even work. The amount of passive reflux on all those jars would be huge and the long arms between them. I would've thought they would fill up in no time? The amount of power you would have to throw at that to get it to run properly would be huge I would imagine? Who knows maybe they work? All I know is I wouldn't like high proof alcohol hanging that far off the ground held by a tin thread especially once full of berries and alcohol.

:text-+1: :text-+1: :text-+1:
You might get one, maybe two of the jars to bubble, but not 12. And, yep passive reflux would kill the rest, it'd be like one big massive airstill with overflowing collection jars. x_x
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Arismac » Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:22 pm

EziTasting wrote:
Bullrout wrote:so are mason jars no good for aging?

Their seal inside is not designed to handle high percentage alcohol (which is a solvent).

As a matter of interest it is now almost ten months since I put 500mls of 40% AbV in one of the jars I purchased from Coles. I give it a shake once or twice a week and periodically pull a few mils through the tap and pour it back in. Up to now there has not been any sign of leakage or deterioration of the silicon seal.
Last edited by Arismac on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arismac

equipment: none left

Postby Doubleuj » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:19 pm

The leaching might not be visible, but certainly alcohol is a solvent and will strip compounds out of rubber and other non solvent proof materials.
I know that in your particular case arismac you’re fine to risk it, but for the “younger” generations, I’d steer clear of it.
Not saying your old though :teasing-tease:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Arismac » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:20 pm

:laughing-rolling: but I am, very old. In fact not even long term storage is an issue in my case. It doesn't last long enough ...
Arismac

equipment: none left

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development