Convert oven to malt kiln

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Convert oven to malt kiln

Postby indenial » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:37 pm

I'm thinking about converting an old freestanding 60cm electric oven to a malt kiln. This is all just an idea at this point.
I'm planning to remove all the electric hobs (broken anyway) and the grill element to leave just the oven element and make it a 10A appliance.
Cut some holes in the sides? to mount ventilation fans. Cut vent hole/s where the hobs used to be.
I think I'll use the power controller to lower the voltage to the oven element. Most kilning is around the 30 - 50degC range I believe.
I'm also hoping to use the oven as a malt roaster. To do that I'll have to make the fan/vent holes re-coverable.
Does this sound feasible?
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Re: Convert oven to malt kiln

Postby The Stig » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:26 am

Where’s Brian when you need him :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: Convert oven to malt kiln

Postby hjubm2 » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:43 am

Sounds like it would work as long as you can get decent airflow through the grain to help evenly dry it. I've used a dehydrator in the past and it works but if the grain is layed too thick it won't dry evenly. Not sure how exacting you want your malt though so if your only looking to use it yourself & don't mind if the malt isn't all done to the same type (eg ale or pilsner style etc) then this won't be an issue for you.
hjubm2

equipment: 130L Jacketed Boiler w 4" Pot Still, 4" Glass Bubbler

Return to Hardware Research & Development