Has this been tried and not successful??

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Has this been tried and not successful??

Postby Granpappy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:50 pm

Trying to get my mind round all the flash gadgets that people are going with and am wondering when it comes to electric heating a boiler would a hot water system copper element be successful that is still linked to its own eat controller? Just wondering is all - this has probably been tried and pissed off as not successful for some reason or other but I reckon it would be as good as all the flash blue light disco machinery I see being written about??
Granpappy

equipment: Store bought 5 lt pot still and 4x25 lt fermenters

Re: Has this been tried and not successful??

Postby crow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:17 am

I can't see why it wouldn't be any good but they are hard to come by in good nick . My idea is to get one leave most of the insulation on and just cut the top outer case off to put a fill port and column furrel . Bonus is a lot have a drain on them , I had one in SA for this purpose but its been fucking nicked and the one I do have has a great hole in it so only good copper and parts , so still looking
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Granpappy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:25 am

Yeah, no.... thanks crowie. It isn't what I meant but now you got me thinking along your lines and just using a HWS like you said - what I meant was just using the heating (copper one) element and heat controller off a HWS and mount it in a keg/// 8-}
Granpappy

Postby stilly_bugger » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:37 am

Granpappy wrote:...would a hot water system copper element be successful that is still linked to its own heat controller?

Not if that heat controller uses a thermostat. You want constant heat into the boiler to maintain a constant vapour rate. The 'on and off, on and off' heat of a thermostatically controlled element does not provide constant heat.

That's why guys use the neon-lit boxes. They give control over heat while providing constant heat.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby crow » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:48 am

:text-yeahthat:
Sorry bud read that wrong :doh:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Granpappy » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:26 pm

Thanks silly bugger and croweater - now I can see why it isn't a popular method as obviously HWS do have thermostatic control. Thanks guys.
Granpappy

Postby wynnum1 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:35 am

Has anyone looked at drum heaters that wrap around a drum and are insulated price may be to expensive.
wynnum1

Return to Hardware Research & Development