Learning TIG welding

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Learning TIG welding

Postby 1 2many » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:18 pm

Yes know all about renting gas bottles from my experience with co2 for the 19 ltr kegs i used to gas still got all the gear
and the fucking bottle .so renting some argon will surley make my rear pucker up :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Distillnation » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:09 am

Can't say I know what it will be like as I haven't welded before (but I'd love to learn), but I thought this might be worth looking at:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/tig-tutorial.htm

Has a few different tutorials on the different types of welds. They write what to do, and follow it up with an example video. Might be useful for getting a basic idea of what to do.

Someone with more experience might be able to comment more on whether or not this site is useful.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 am

DrunkASAskunk wrote:Hi 1 2many I think the best way and probly the most ezy way would be to fined someone that can give you some of there time and show you how to tig. It is one of those things that will be alot ezyer to be shown.

Yer, I agree with the drunk-skunk. I never did any accredited training or courses etc. but I was a custom exhaust builder for a few years. I definately think the best (most informative) way of learning is watching a pro do it. You'll learn more than any book or youtube vid could ever teach you.

If your out of luck with the helpful mates, try a short-course via Tafe or similar.

Good luck with it mate. Welding is a great skillset to have. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby 1 2many » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I guess because i don't know anyone that can tig , mig , stick or oxy weld .will just have to read up and watch the youtube vids to sort of get the idea then just jumpin head first and have a go just like i did with stick welding. :doh:
And practice and practice til i figure it out .Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:58 pm

That'd be the next best thing mate. Fire it up and blast away. You'll get the hang of it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development